PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Major! a little old...

panther power
05-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Syracuse University head football coach Greg Robinson named Major Applewhite Orange quarterback coach. A standout quarterback at the University of Texas, Applewhite joins the Syracuse staff after spending two years as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Texas where he assisted the offensive coaching staff.

“Major is a person who through his playing days displayed the unique qualities as a quarterback that are proving to be tremendous qualities as a coach,” Robinson said. “His development of the physical skills necessary to be a productive quarterback, coupled with his innate abilities to grasp the mental aspect of the game and his ability to function under adverse conditions, are what make him a valuable member of our staff.”

Applewhite, who was 22-8 as a starter at Texas, set school records for passing yards (8,353), TD passes (60), total offense (8,059), completions (611) and attempts (1,065) from 1998-2001. The Longhorns team captain in 2001 and 2001 Holiday Bowl Offensive MVP, Applewhite was the Big 12 co-Offensive Player of the Year in 1999 and earned league freshman of the year honors in 1998.

“I am grateful and appreciative of this opportunity to work with Greg at Syracuse,” Applewhite said. “Greg is such an energetic and enthusiastic guy and that attitude breeds itself. It is an honor to come here to coach a position that has had so much success. Look at the quarterback history in the past 20 years – Don McPherson, Marvin Graves and Donovan McNabb. We are going to take that tradition and build on it. I am excited about the opportunity to come to Syracuse to work with the seniors to help them leave here as winners. This is not about rebuilding. Syracuse is a good team and a good program.”

A native of Baton Rouge, La., Applewhite threw for 50 TDs (and rushed for eight more) against just nine interceptions in two years as a starter at Catholic High School. He was tabbed an honorable mention prep All-American by USA Today after leading Catholic High to a 13-1 record and No. 10 national ranking as a senior. Applewhite was 25-2 as a prep starter.

Applewhite, an active volunteer in the Austin community as a student-athlete and a graduate assistant coach, completed his University of Texas degree in sport management in December of 2002.

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
:eek: :eek: That's very nice of you! :)

KTJ
05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Rumors out of Syracuse are that they LOVE Greg Robinson but think that Major is a butthole because he makes them run for their mistakes. I think that's hilarious!

Applewhite is gonna be an awesome HC one day.

And I do agree that it's really odd of you to post something nice, even something nice about UT. :confused:

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
but think that Major is a butthole because he makes them run for their mistakes.

:weeping: :weeping:

panther power
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
He was a Longhorn but even i have to give respect to the Major....

I believe he will be a HC in about 3-4 years....maybe not D-1 but he will be

District303aPastPlayer
05-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Best QB to be politic-ed out of a starting job....

AggieJohn
05-03-2005, 01:11 AM
even for some one as red ass as i am with aggie spirit, i still have a special place in my heart for major applewhite, i always called him private applesauce when he played......he made me like the horns for a while before i fell in love with A&M, he had style and class...i remember when he got pushed out of the starting job when simms showed up, thanks phil.....and they were playing colorado for the big 12 championship i think and simms was getting picked off at least three or four times at one point. all of the players were kind of looking at him, seeing if it was making him mad, but he being the classy guy told everyone that chris was still there starting qb and to get in the and work for him, now that shows character

injuredinmelee
05-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Major was a class act and still is. I miss seeing him around the field house at UT and so does my 4 yr old son (also named Major). Major shared an office with another GA and their office was the first place my son headed whenever we visited the facilities. I was always afraid that Major would end up at OU as an assistant coach, thank goodness that didnt happen.