PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech recruit busted...

panther power
05-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Former Montwood's all-state running back arrested

Lenny Jurado
Daniel Borunda

Former Montwood High School all-state running back Edward Britton was arrested last Wednesday for shoplifting a pair of MP3 players from a Northeast Wal-Mart.

The senior, El Paso's most sought-after football recruit last fall, was stopped by police at 10:45 a.m. near the store at 4530 Trans Mountain and was found with two audio players worth $157 each, police said.

The store gave police a description of the alleged thief, and officers checking the area saw Britton, approached him and detained him in the parking lot near the Wells Fargo Bank, police spokesman Javier Sambrano said.

Britton, of the 2900 block of Titanic, was charged with theft over $50 and under $500 and booked into jail. The theft is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in the county jail and a fine up to $2,000.

The 17-year-old, who now attends Chapin, declined to comment. His father, Edward Sr., said he "deeply regrets" the incident and called it a "slip in character."

"It speaks for itself," Britton Sr. said. "But if you look at today's landscape -- the kids today and the trouble they're getting into -- it's unfortunate, but you always have to look at the bright side. It could be worse. ... My son doesn't go out and drink. He doesn't have a record. In school, he was never suspended for fighting, was never truant, so this definitely was a shock."

Texas Tech head football coach Mike Leach, who signed Britton to a full scholarship in February, said Monday that he was unaware of his arrest.

Asked if the incident would affect the athlete's scholarship, Leach declined to comment, adding "Don't you all have anything better to write over there?"

As of Monday evening, Britton Sr. had not contacted the Texas Tech football staff regarding his son's arrest, saying that "this is a personal matter and a situation where Edward is growing up, and we're going to handle this like anything else. If they call me, and it becomes a concern, we're going to address it."

The father added that he does not think Edward's scholarship is in jeopardy.

"We talk to (assistant football coach Dave Brown) on a regular basis, and character is something they value. I think Edward's character is still intact," Britton Sr. said.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound athlete is regarded as El Paso's top running back after topping 2,000 yards rushing each of the past two seasons. He capped his high school career by becoming just the first El Paso football player ever chosen to the Class 5A all-state first team in consecutive seasons.

Montwood head football coach Chuck Veliz considers Britton's character as admirable as his athletic skill, which is why the news of his former star runner's arrest came as a surprise.

"It doesn't sound like anything he's done before or is capable of doing," Veliz said. "I could never imagine something like this from him. I'm very surprised and saddened by it. I wish it wasn't true."

Astrosdawg07
05-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Hell, Tech will probaly still give the guy a scholarship!

AggieJohn
05-03-2005, 12:55 AM
your right astro, leach is a model of efficiency

raider red 2000
05-03-2005, 07:29 AM
i am sure that if tech took the scholarship away...that the tee-sips and sheep lovers would be nockin down this kids door.

i believe that TU had a running back that stole a plasma tv....did he lose his scholarship.....nope...he got drafted to the NFL.

injuredinmelee
05-03-2005, 07:40 AM
uhhh correction. Someone stole Cedrics plasma and he thought he knew who had it so he and some of the boys went and kicked the door down looking for it. Nad yes he did get drafted with the 4th pick. Higher than any Red Raider will EVER go.

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 07:47 AM
What the kid did was totally stupid. Why he would jeopardize 4 years of paid college education for something so trivial as MP3 players, when there are numerous kids who would jump at the chance he has, is beyond me.

I will reserve further judgement on the situation until the final outcome.

Phil C
05-03-2005, 08:00 AM
We have to remember that Texas Tech did have a great linebacker in the 60s who played good football for the Dallas Texans who later became the Kansas City Chiefs. He was a good one. And don't forget Donny Anderson the great halfback had some great years at Green Bay even though when Lombardi left he didn't do as good.

raider red 2000
05-03-2005, 09:20 AM
donny anderson when drafted was the highest payed player in the NFL. EJ Holub i believe is still the only player to start one super bowl on offense and another one on defense.

i know that tech's tradition or lack of can not compare to UT or a&m, but i will stick up for my school. will be as good as UT this year???? will we beat a&m probably...hopefully.

i would say that out of the 3 schools...tech, ut and a&m tech's kids probably get into less trouble.

as far as the correction about the kid gettin back his tv. college kids do some stupid stuff....high scholl kids do more stupid stuff....but trying to play cop and takin back what is yours....not a smart move.

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 09:34 AM
What the kid did was stupid. No doubt. But before you jump on the band wagon, let's wait until all the facts come out...if they ever do. If this is the first time he's ever been in trouble, then he deserves a second chance and shouldn't have his scholarship revoked. Now if this is a pattern of behavior, then Tech needs to look real hard at how to handle this situation. I think the worst thing that we could do is tell the kid, "Sorry, but your scholarship has been revoked and we're just going to kick you to the curb."

Let's just wait and see how this thing plays out.

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
as far as the correction about the kid gettin back his tv. college kids do some stupid stuff....high scholl kids do more stupid stuff....but trying to play cop and takin back what is yours....not a smart move.

For a $15,000 plasma tv, I don't know that I would've done any different at that age. I'd like to think I had better sense, but can't guarantee it.

Crow22
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
the bigger question is how did a "non-paid" athlete have a 15,000 dollar tv??

panther power
05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
I always thought that was intresting not to mention the pot charges he recieved in Midland I believe his freshman year at >U.T.?

Let's not forget the tough times U.T. ran into under the great DKR...

panther power
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
WHEREAS, the Committee on Infractions has investigated alleged violations of NCAA legislation by the University of Texas, Austin, and has reported its findings to the Council;

WHEREAS, the Council has found the University of Texas to have violated the provisions governing recruiting (Article 6, Sections 1, 2 and 5, (b), NCAA By-laws), in that:

1. The University followed the practice of placing visiting prospective student-athletes in off-campus, commercial housing and providing them with cash per diem meal allowances. Several prospects charged meals at the motel in which they were housed, were provided free meals by hosts serving for the University and consequently, were not called upon to use the money provided by the university for meals.

2. In two instances the university paid the costs of room and several meals for friends who accompanied prospective student-athletes on their trips to visit the institution's campus.

3. In one instance a prospective student-athlete was transported from his home to Austin and return in a company-owned aircraft. No one except the company's pilot accompanied the young man on this trip.

WHEREAS, prior to the 1964 spring meeting of the Southwest Athletic Conference the executive and athletic administrations of the University of Texas initiated revisions of the institution's recruiting policies and practices to guard against such occurrences in the future;

WHEREAS, the Southwest Athletic Conference during its meeting, May 9, 1964, placed the University of Texas on probation for an indefinite period, its probationary status and recruiting practices and procedures being subject to review during the 1965 spring meeting of the Conference;

WHEREAS, the Council supports the findings by and actions of the Southwest Athletic Conference and recognizes that its efforts give support to the cooperative principle and philosophy of the NCAA enforcement program;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the University of Texas be placed on probation for a period of one year dating from May 9, 1964, it being under-stood that the institution1s restoration to full rights and privileges of NCAA membership be subject to:

1. Termination of its probationary status in the Southwest Athletic Conference.

2. A review of the University's athletic policies and practices by the NCAA Committee on Infractions and report of its findings to the Council during the 1965 fall meeting of the Council.

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, that record be made of the cooperation accorded the NCAA and its Committee on Infractions by the executive and athletic administrations of the University of Texas and the Executive Secretary's office of the Southwest Athletic Conference.

April 12, 1965

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Crow22

For several seasons, he played baseball with the Dodgers (I believe) in addition to playing football for UT. Because of that, he was not on football scholarship to UT.

Phil C
05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
For several seasons, he played baseball with the Dodgers (I believe) in addition to playing football for UT. Because of that, he was not on football scholarship to UT.

Also some people are just better able to manage their money than others. :)

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
true, he did play two summers with the dodgers before giving it up for football.....

maybe he is just a smart kid...

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:22 AM
this kid might be ok, look what happened to benson and nothing happened....

MIDLAND, TEXAS (MRT) - Midland police officers arrested star University of Texas running back Cedric Benson this weekend on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and minor in possession of alcohol.

Midland police officers arrested star University of Texas running back Cedric Benson this weekend on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and minor in possession of alcohol.

Benson, a freshman at UT-Austin, was a member of the Lee High School football teams that captured three state titles in 1998, 1999 and 2000.

The arrest occurred at about 2 a.m. Saturday at the Windtree Apartments.

Midland Police Sgt. Dale Seago said officers had no idea who they were arresting until they booked Benson in the Midland County Central Detention Center.

"We weren't targeting him or anything," Seago said. "Nobody really knew who was who."

Police originally were responding to a complaint of loud music.

Seago said Officer Jeff Handley entered the apartment and found alcohol and marijuana. The only other person arrested at the apartment was a 20-year-old woman. She also was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and minor in possession of alcohol

Benson, 19, posted $1,365 bond before leaving jail Saturday morning. The woman also posted bond and was released.

Benson has enjoyed a reputation for clean living and staying out of trouble, therefore the weekend arrest caught his coaches by surprise.

Jesse Benavidez, Lee High School's baseball coach, said he never envisioned Benson getting into this kind of trouble.

"I wouldn't expect anything like this," Benavidez said. "As far as an athlete, he's a coach's dream. The way he displayed himself on campus was always in a good character."

On Sunday, University of Texas officials said they had no information on the arrest. Bill Little, UT assistant athletic director, said other officials probably know about the arrest.

"Coach (Mack Brown) has been out of town," Little said. "Our people here have heard nothing about it. That doesn't mean there's not contact with other people. I'm sure there has."

Benson led the Rebels to three consecutive state titles before starting with the University of Texas last year. Benson beat UT freshman rushing records set by Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell during last year's season. He became the first UT freshman to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and set or tied 13 freshman records. He is expected to start next year for the Longhorns. Benson was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 12th round. Benson is expected to report to Florida to pay baseball after his second semester at school is complete in May.

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
MIDLAND, TEXAS (MRT) - University of Texas star running back Cedric Benson pleaded "not guilty" Tuesday to a possession of marijuana charge stemming from his weekend arrest at a friend's apartment.

Advertisement

University of Texas star running back Cedric Benson pleaded "not guilty" Tuesday to a possession of marijuana charge stemming from his weekend arrest at a friend's apartment in Midland.

Midland attorney Brian Carney filed the motion via fax to the Midland County Courthouse, after his client had returned to classes at the University of Texas in Austin before having posted a $1,365 bond through Rendon & Associates Bail Bond Company.

Benson, 19, was arrested along with a 20-year-old female acquaintance at about 2 a.m. Saturday morning at the Windtree apartments, where police were responding to a noise complaint.

The two were charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana under 2 ounces, possession of drug paraphernalia and being a minor in possession of alcohol. The alcohol charge is being processed through municipal court, and Carney said Benson will also plead not guilty for that offense.

Police said Benson opened the door and officers found alcohol and marijuana on the premises.

Carney said Benson was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He was not in possession of any drugs or alcohol and he wasn't aware any were there," Carney said.

An Austin defense attorney connected to the case, John Carsey, said other people had visited the apartment that night and Benson was only there for about 30 minutes.

Carney said Benson, who is accustomed to receiving headlines for touchdowns rather than criminal charges, is struggling to cope with statewide attention his arrest caused.

"He's a 19-year-old kid and he's devastated," Carney said. "He's really stressed out over this."

If it were not for Benson's notoriety, such misdemeanor charges would never grab headlines.

Benson was the Big 12 freshman of the year after setting a UT record last season with 1,053 yards on 223 carries and scored 12 touchdowns.

"He's really struggling. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone," Carney said.

Benson is scheduled to appear in court May 23, but Carney will appear on his behalf
An Austin defense attorney connected to the case

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas senior running back Cedric Benson was sentenced to eight days in jail after pleading no contest Friday to misdemeanor criminal trespassing for forcing his way into an apartment in 2003.

But due to crowding at the jail and credit for good behavior, he will likely only spend a fraction of that time - if any - behind bars.

"We don't have beds available," said Travis County sheriff's spokesman Roger Wade.

Police said Benson forced his way into an apartment last October to search for a stolen television.

If he checks in Saturday and there is a community service project available, he'll be credited for two days and finish his sentence. If there is not a community project, he can complete his time on Sunday, Wade said. "He's not being given any preferential treatment," Wade said.

Benson should finish his jail term before the season opener Sept. 4 against North Texas. He served a one-game suspension after his arrest last season.

"I understand that I made a mistake and I'm taking responsibility for my actions in accepting my punishment," Benson said in a statement released by the school.

Carney said Benson accepted the jail time rather than drag out his case - and potential publicity - through a long probation period during the coming season.

Prosecutors offered Benson a conviction with probation for a year with community service, anger management counseling and similar fines.

"I had some options in how it was handled, but I think what I accepted will have the least effect on my teammates, the coaches and everyone at UT. I didn't want this to drag on through the season," Benson said. "Even though it's more difficult on me by taking care of it now, it's in the best interest of my team in the long run."

Coach Mack Brown said Benson's plea brings "closure to an issue we dealt with last fall with Cedric. I know he's glad to have this behind him so he can move on."

A likely Heisman Trophy contender this season, Benson has been one of the most prolific ball carriers in Texas history with 3,706 yards rushing and 45 touchdowns.

Benson was originally accused of entering the apartment with three other men but Carney said no one else has been charged in the case.

Carney said, isnt he the same lawyer from before? fishy????

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
If you're going to post part of the facts, you need to do your research and post them all.

raider red 2000
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
i must say sorry. i didnt mean to turn this into a hate on benson thread. i just used him as an example. kids screw up. the kid that dosnt even live in lubbock yet screwed up.

why has the media been able to turn us sports fans into people haters. why must we always try to point out bad things and point fingers at others. i am guilty of this? i wish i wasnt.

i was able to successfully divert yall from bad mouthing one kid to bad mouthing a young man that made a couple of mistakes.

sorry.

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by panther power
Carney said, isnt he the same lawyer from before? fishy????

Not at all. People who have attorneys don't go shopping around if they have no need to do so.

AggieJohn
05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Crow22
because he played in the minors for the diamondbacks during the summer

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
no need to apoligize, i used this as a way to show you that the kid will probably be alright even though I do not condone his actions. He has alot in common with benson, highly recruited, good kids, first time messing up. It just shows you what athletes can do and get away with.

Panther Mom, don't take it personally. It was just to show a point, all kids mess up one way or another, i was just making benson an example..

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by panther power
no need to apoligize, i used this as a way to show you that the kid will probably be alright even though I do not condone his actions. He has alot in common with benson, highly recruited, good kids, first time messing up. It just shows you what athletes can do and get away with.

Panther Mom, don't take it personally. It was just to show a point, all kids mess up one way or another, i was just making benson an example..

I don't take it personally & yes they do mess up. My point was that the drug charges were dropped.

panther power
05-03-2005, 11:48 AM
exactly, they were dropped