PDA

View Full Version : Sad story....but it happens

panther power
05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - Although the player and his father had accepted his apology and forgiven baseball coach Larry Cochell for racial remarks he made during a couple of interviews, Cochell decided to end his 14-year career with the University of Oklahoma.

In a three-paragraph letter submitted to OU President David Boren, Cochell said he was honored and privileged to have been associated with the school but felt it necessary to resign.

Larry Cochell used a racist slur after praising a freshman outfielder, who is black, during two pre-broadcast interviews Tuesday. (Jerry Laizure / Associated Press)

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university. Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people," the letter released by the university read.

"... I do not want to be the cause of any person having a mistaken impression about our university. Therefore I hereby request that I be allowed to resign as head baseball coach of the University of Oklahoma effective immediately."

Boren, who had met with Athletics Director Joe Castiglione and members of the university's black community on the matter, accepted the letter and said Castiglione had designated Sunny Golloway as interim head baseball coach for the rest of the season.

"A good and caring man has made a terrible mistake for which he must assume responsibility," Boren said in a statement.

ESPN reported on Friday that before a telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on two of its networks Tuesday, Cochell used racial epithets as he praised freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, who is black.

The interviews were not taped, and the play-by-play announcer and analyst who conducted them didn't know Cochell had used similar language in both instances until they spoke with each other days later, an ESPN spokesman said.

The university, which didn't learn of the remarks until contacted Friday afternoon by ESPN, issued a statement that it was reviewing the matter and that Golloway would assume Cochell's duties on an interim basis. Cochell wasn't in the dugout during Oklahoma's Big 12 Conference series with Nebraska Friday or Saturday.

Cochell issued a statement Friday apologizing for what he said and added that the remarks did not reflect his own values.

Dunigan's father, Joe Dunigan Jr., said he and his son had forgiven the coach for his remarks and urged others to do so.

"He has apologized," Joe Dunigan Jr. told The Oklahoman. "Those words are powerful and derisive. They were inappropriate and offensive to African Americans. But he is a man who has done so many good things in his life."

Cochell began at Oklahoma in 1991 and had a 511-336-1 record, according to the university Web site. The Sooners are 23-20 so far this season.

Cochell led Oklahoma to three College World Series appearances and was named Big Eight Coach of the Year in 1994.

He coached at Emporia State in Kansas in 1967 and 1968, and from 1978 to 1986 he coached Oral Roberts, taking the team to seven NCAA regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 1978. His career record was 1,307-794.

KTJ
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
This isn't a sad story.

Most (not all) OU fans and alums wanted him fired after he said this. He disrespected the school. But I do understand what he was saying, as do most other people. He just used the wrong words to say it.

So yeah, this isn't a sad story by any means. It just sucks. There's a big differece.

lepfan
05-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This isn't a sad story.

Most (not all) OU fans and alums wanted him fired after he said this.

Where did you get that information? Back your statement with proof. From what sources did you get your information?

PhiI C
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
The article seems to indicate that the remarks were out of character for him and that even the black leaders of the community thought so too and that it was just an uncharacteristic choice of words on his part.

lepfan
05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
The article seems to indicate that the remarks were out of character for him and that even the black leaders of the community thought so too and that it was just an uncharacteristic choice of words on his part.

That is pretty much it...pretty much how the fans feel...that is why I was wondering where KTJ got his bit of info....if it came from the streets of your know where...then it discredits his statement.

panther power
05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I meant sorry in the sense of the way it will effect the University and any potential ahtlete or current athlete associated with the school and coach. I watched that game but missed any hint of this happenning.

KTJ
05-02-2005, 09:25 PM
lepfan

I meant most of the OU people that I know.

lepfan
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
lepfan

I meant most of the OU people that I know.

Ohhh, I was wondering because I had read nothing of the sort. None of the OU people I know feel that way.