PDA

View Full Version : Giant Louisiana/Texas Softball Tournament , in Beaumont, may get nixed!

Old Cardinal
12-13-2003, 01:24 PM
It looks like the giant two state, HS Softball tournament may be off. In fact, at this moment only 24 teams are scheduled to play in Beaumont in late February 2004. Here is the story-
#1 The UIL was not warm to the idea. They don't want a tournament to have teams playing more than 6 games. I suggested that we go ahead and divided up the assorted teams and let each team play six games against other teams of your same classification--from different geographic locations. That way, whoever won all six games of the contest, would receive a trophy, but there would be no bracket climb to a solo Championship in any classification.
#2 Although there will be several Louisiana teams already scheduled in the 24 teams schedule to participate-GET THIS- all of a sudden the LA equilivant of our UIL, does not encourage LA teams to play over in Texas!.....Now for years Texas teams have played in tournaments all over Louisiana but THEY don't want to have LA money spent in Texas...It was fine for us to go over to, say- Sulphur, LA with 15 or 20 teams and play. We would go out and spend our money at the Boiling Point Restaurant(great crawfish) etc:...I still think it may be possible to overcome the obstacles, if not this year, maybe next...A nice letter to Mr. Tommy Voss,Beaumont SE Texas Entertainment complex, stating that your team would like to have the option to play this season, in a giant tournament such as this- might help in getting this fun event to become a reality. I think if enough interest is shown- that the obstacle people will disappear...I think that this (maybe 100 team) event would get people across Texas and Louisiana to realize that Girls HS Softball is no longer a minor HS sport! Please write as an individual or team rep and encourage that this event become a reality. It can prove to be a lot of fun and a great way to get national publicity for both LA and TX girls HS softball.

<small>[ December 13, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Dulce04
12-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I wish our team could make it there but unfortunately our school doesn't have the time or the money for us to go that far just for a tournament. It still would be a great experience for a bunch of other schools who are close and who are able to be there to play.

VWG
12-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Too many politics....