PDA

View Full Version : West Texas folks - help please

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM
It seems the archives in my brain have permanently over-written the answer with more useful bytes of information. (yes, that was a pun. ;) ) Do any of you remember/know what was done to correct or fix the Kermit sink-hole?

Ranger Mom
05-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Good question!!

which I have no answer too!:p

I had actually forgotten about that!

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks anyway, RM. I guess we'll have to hire a geologist or some kind of land engineer type person to come take a look.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2005, 01:08 PM
This is the last article I could find on it.....it was published on January 3rd of this year.

Wink Sink/Kermit Crater (http://www.rootsweb.com/~txwinkle/1-3-05-OA-SINK.htm)

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks! That and another piece of info hubby found is not encouraging at all. :(

Ranger Mom
05-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Thanks! That and another piece of info hubby found is not encouraging at all. :(

encouraging for what?? Did I miss something again?

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
encouraging for what?? Did I miss something again?

No, you didn't miss anything. Hubby was in the back yard this morning & we apparently have one. I've never noticed it because it's under the spot where he normally burns brush a couple of times a year, so it's usually covered with branches.

He said he's noticed the indenture in the ground for a while, but thought it might be his imagination. NOT! There is the beginnings of a crater back there. :eek: :eek: The deepest part is about 3-4 feet. I'm guessing the whole area (so far) is about 5-7 foot circular.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Oh no!!!

From what I have read, there is really nothing you can do about it...right?

panther power
05-02-2005, 01:39 PM
prettu serious, I would make a call to someone right away....hope all works out for you

44INAROW
05-02-2005, 01:44 PM
No, you didn't miss anything The deepest part is about 3-4 feet. I'm guessing the whole area (so far) is about 5-7 foot circular.

that is scary..... hopefully it's one of those things that happens and never happens again :eek:

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
No, you didn't miss anything. Hubby was in the back yard this morning & we apparently have one. I've never noticed it because it's under the spot where he normally burns brush a couple of times a year, so it's usually covered with branches.

He said he's noticed the indenture in the ground for a while, but thought it might be his imagination. NOT! There is the beginnings of a crater back there. :eek: :eek: The deepest part is about 3-4 feet. I'm guessing the whole area (so far) is about 5-7 foot circular.

Yikes!:eek: I wonder how long it has taken to get this deep? How far is it from your house? Guess you are putting the City and your insurance company on notice...I am so sorry to hear about this.

Down here, the only times I have heard of anything even remotely similar is after alot of rain or a water main breaking.:(

lepfan
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Fill it with dirt...cover it with grass...sell the house...(hopefully before any more caves in)

:rolleyes:

Of course I am kidding...but don't tell me the thought did not cross your mind;)