PDA

View Full Version : Region I Scattershooting

vet93
10-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Borger/Canyon - was penciled in at the beginning of the season as a Canyon win but Borger appears to have the upper hand due to several injuries for Canyon. Look for both teams to make the playoffs but Borger has the edge in this one.

Merkel/Snyder - This looks to be the big game in district 3-3a. This game will go a long way in deciding the playoff picture for both teams. Snyder has come on strong as of late but Merkel has been steadily improving each game. Merkel has found a running game to go with an already stiff defense. Look for the Badgers to pull off a close win and set themselves up for a playoff run.

Kermit/Greenwood - The yellowjackets are playing the Rangers at the wrong time after an upset loss to Monahans. Look for the Rangers to roll by 21.

Ft. Stockton/Monahans - look for the loboes to have a mild letdown after an emotional win over the Rangers...but it won't be enough to keep the loboes from winning.

Vernon/Breck - Vernon had Breck's number last year and look for them to win again this year. Breck is just too inconsistent this year. I think that the game may be close the first half but the Lions should pull away in the second half.

Iowa Park/Childress - Childress came back to earth after losing to Graham last week. They will be fired up to play IP. This should be a good game but I give the edge to IP in a close contest.

Abilene Wylie/Early - The bulldogs will get back on the winning track this week and prepare for a tough race for the playoffs.

Comanche/Brady - Both teams know that a loss would severely hamper any playoff aspirations. Comanche has surprised alot of people with their record so far...but most people don't know how good Brady is...Look for Brady to take this game.

Clyde/Ballinger - A key game for the playoff race. Clyde has gotten healthy and they have completely revamped their offense to take advantage of their strengths. They are big and physical. Ballinger is more of a finesse team. They are quick and have a good passing capability. Clyde will line up and try and cram the ball down Ballinger's throat. The keys to the game will be Ballinger's defense to be able to step up their play and can Ballinger get their running game going like last week. If the Bearcats play to their capabilities, then they should win this game. However, if the Bearcats don't show up to play and play uninspired football, then the Bulldogs will win and pave their way to a district championship.

District 7-3a has another week where the favorites should prevail. The Sanger/LIttle Elm game could be a good one. Look for Sanger to win in a close game.

District 8-3a has two of the better teams in the state with Kennedale and Everman...it is also one of the most boring districts in the state because there is a huge drop off after those two. Look for the favorites to prevail once again.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Some More Scattershooting from the Z:

Good picks Vet here are some of my takes:

The Big Games:

Ballinger and Clyde - This may result in a district championship here. Clyde is pumped up and will be up for this one too. But they wont sneak up on Ballinger after their big win last week. This should be a close game I'll take Ballinger by 3.

Everman - Venus - My suprise pick of the week. Venus upsets Everman and secures themselves a playoff spot. Venus is the best of the rest of the pack and I'm just feeling an upset here. Venus by 6

Childress - Iowa Park - This one also has huge playoff implications. Childress must beat IP to make the playoffs otherwise they will have to win out. Iowa Park barley got by Breckenridge which runs the same spread offense that Childress runs. Iowa Park's defense has been suspect this year but last week tighened up. After thinking this one through, I'll go with Iowa Park by 7.

Merkel - Snyder - Again this game is huge. Both teams need this win. Toss up [even]

Some Playoff Implication Games:

Vernon - Breckenridge - This is a must win for Breckenridge or thay have to win out the rest to make the playoffs. Should be an interesting game with the spread offense of Breckenridge against a really good secondary of Vernon. The Breckenridge defense did a good job against Iowa Park that runs a similar offense to Vernon. The only difference is that Vernon has the horses. Prediction: Vernon gets some turnovers through the air and wins by 14.

Comanche at Brady - This is a must win for both of these teams. Brady held its own last week against Ballinger and can not let Comanche get another win up on them. I'll go with Brady by 10.

Decatur - Bridgeport - The Bulls play the Eagles tough. But there will be no upset this year. Decatur learned from the Mineral Wells game. Decatur by 21.

<small>[ October 15, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
<small>[ October 15, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

vet93
10-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Hey z-motion...a venus win over everman would be the upset of the year in Region I even though Venus is much better than years past. I think that Venus will play them tougher than in the past but I just can't take the next step and say that they will upset the Bulldogs. By the way...it sounds like the Lions are rolling...I look for you guys to take Breck...your son will get a workout with their offense. They throw the ball a lot. They are quick but you guys should overpower them.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2003, 11:12 AM
For some strange reason I just have a gut feeling about Venus. I'm not sure that Everman will take them as serious as they should due to how horrible they have been in the past. I read that the Venus coach knows the Everman coach well. Of course if it does happen, you heard it here first.

Vernon has a few more games to go before I think we will really know how good they are. Depending on how well they handle the next three games (Breckenridge, Graham, and Iowa Park). Really Graham is the measuring rod. But these boys are playing as a team sort of like the Bearcats of last year. They spread the ball to several receivers and utilize the full back as much as the tailback and wingback. They all have about the same amount of carries and yards so there are no real superstars on this team. Coaching has been great. Vernon is able to make really good halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball. In the last two games Vernon has outscored their opponents in the second half like 49-14, which really speaks for the coaching.

My boy is doing well he is leading the team in both tackles (73 through 5 games) and receptions (5 catches for 121 & 1 TD) he has 1 pick and returned it over 50 yards inside the 10 yard line. But they haven't seen a lot of passing teams yet so Breckenridge should be a good game for him. He needs some picks to help his stats. Vernon picked them 5 times last year and two of the secondary players are returners. The other two are just as good at playing the pass too. Where they may have trouble is stopping the QB from running out of a passing situation when they lose contain. WF Old High tore Vernon a new one on broken plays like that. Of course WF Old High had a stud Qb that could run. Probably about a 4.4 - 40.

I have been watching that district 6 and I'm wondering how Wylie is going to fair. If they fail to make it who would go DI?

Well good luck to the Bearcats this Friday.

vet93
10-16-2003, 11:30 AM
If Wylie fails to make the playoffs (which I think won't happen) then Clyde would be the DI representative. Ballinger goes DII regardless because we are the smallest team in the district.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Here is my playoff guess so far:

DI
Graham v. Wylie

DII
Vernon v Clyde
Iowa Park v Ballinger

Oh I had to post a pic of my son since I talked him up in the previous post. He was going for the pick in this one, but the receiver ended up knocking it out of his hands.
http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/1matthirschi.jpg

vet93
10-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Great pic!!!

slpybear the bullfan
10-16-2003, 12:09 PM
I bet that Sanger does not beat Little Elm... Little Elm by 14.

...and I hope for better, but Decatur by 28 against my Bulls.

CatWoman
10-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Here is my playoff guess so far:

DI
Graham v. Wylie

DII
Vernon v Clyde
Iowa Park v Ballinger

Oh I had to post a pic of my son since I talked him up in the previous post. He was going for the pick in this one, but the receiver ended up knocking it out of his hands.
http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/1matthirschi.jpgBoy that is a great picture. You sure have a lot to be proud of. It's so exciting when one of your own is playing, but much more "relaxing" when they're not. Good luck to Vernon.

CatWoman
10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
nm