PDA

View Full Version : True story out of Midland

Ranger Mom
04-29-2005, 09:15 AM
This story was told in church Sunday morning....I copy and pasted the email--

Lee High School is in the process of remodeling and renovating the school. Most of the work will be done this summer, and during the first semester of next year. Portable buildings are being brought in for them to meet in until the work is finished. They are in the process of cleaning out closets, classrooms, storage facilities, discarding out of date chemicals, books, etc. The city brought one of the big industrial size garbage dumpsters out to the school and placed it right in front of the building to facilitate the process. The city told them they would come this past Wednesday and dump it, so they could add more trash. Well, one of the departments decided to throw their old desks in the dumpster, and he said they were put in upside down with the legs sticking up out of the filled dumpster. The city failed to come empty the dumpster on Wednesday as they had promised so when there was no room for more trash, they called to remind them that it was supposed to have been emptied on Wednesday The city told them that they had been told not to dump it.... It seems that someone passed by and saw the desks and requested that they not empty the dumpster until they could salvage the desks.... Guess who???? Our first lady, Laura Bush, was in town last week visiting her mother. When they passed by Lee High School, and she saw all the school desks that were being discarded, she called the city and told them not to empty the dumpsters, that there would be someone coming by to collect the desks and they would be sent directly to Afghanistan for the schools there..... Neat, huh? I thought that was a neat story, and wanted to share it with you. I am a "recycler", and it is neat to know that our first lady is also!

Two notes to add:

1. Since this story has come out, citizens in Midland have been furious that they were throwing away usable desks like that.......and they wonder why the bond proposal to build a new school never seems to pass! :rolleyes:

2. On the news yesterday morning they announced that all those salvaged desks are on their way to Afghanistan now!!

rhs78
04-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Thats a good story with a GREAT ending, those children in Afganistan will be so glad to get them.. Its a shame we have become a throw away society for the most part.

CheerMom
04-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Hats off to the First Lady!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bandera YaYa
04-29-2005, 10:03 AM
That is an awesome story RM......good for Laura Bush and BAD for the school district......I hate that the norm now for schools is to do COMPLETELY away with what WAS used, in order to have a new showy school....UGH ! The citizens have every right to be mad...... :mad:

AP Panther Fan
04-29-2005, 10:20 AM
That story gave me the chills! Thanks for sharing it!

Too bad it wasn't someone within the district trying to find a new home for those desks. I am sure they never would have been able to ship them to Afghanistan, but Mexico is really close.:thinking: Heck, there are probably other districts in need even closer in Texas.:doh:

Bandera YaYa
04-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
That story gave me the chills! Thanks for sharing it!

Too bad it wasn't someone within the district trying to find a new home for those desks. I am sure they never would have been able to ship them to Afghanistan, but Mexico is really close.:thinking: Heck, there are probably other districts in need even closer in Texas.:doh: That's for darn sure........... :mad:

GreenMonster
04-29-2005, 10:22 AM
ya know, we do not know how old those desks were or what shape they were in. this story makes it sound like some guy decided this all by himself and aimlessly started throwing stuff out. I would be suprised if this was the case and I would like for everyone stop jumping to conclusions. These things HAVE to be replaced every so often. You get new furniture in your house or your office and what do you do with the old stuff? Throw it out. It still functioned but throwing it out is the easiest solution. If the Midland Schools are guilty of anything it's not being creative in their disposal of the desks. Give them a break.

AP Panther Fan
04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Give them a break.

Consider it done, I am not feeling very argumentative today. ;)

Ranger Mom
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
\ You get new furniture in your house or your office and what do you do with the old stuff? Throw it out. It still functioned but throwing it out is the easiest solution.

I have to disagree. If I get new furniture and what I have is still usable, I either give it away or take it to the Habitat for Humanity Store. I would never throw away a piece of perfectly good furniture just because I didn't like it anymore!

Bandera YaYa
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
ya know, we do not know how old those desks were or what shape they were in. this story makes it sound like some guy decided this all by himself and aimlessly started throwing stuff out. I would be suprised if this was the case and I would like for everyone stop jumping to conclusions. These things HAVE to be replaced every so often. You get new furniture in your house or your office and what do you do with the old stuff? Throw it out. It still functioned but throwing it out is the easiest solution. If the Midland Schools are guilty of anything it's not being creative in their disposal of the desks. Give them a break. NO WAY!! Shame on them......I know WE dont' know the condition, but if they were sendable to Afghanistan, they must have been ok for use. Come on now..........

44INAROW
04-29-2005, 10:48 AM
ya know, we do not know how old those desks were or what shape Throw it out. It still functioned but throwing it out is the easiest solution. If the Midland Schools are guilty of anything it's not being creative in their disposal of the desks. Give them a break.

I see what you're saying, but why throw away? Why not have a salvage auction or at the least give them away?

rhs78
04-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I have to agree with you RM and BYY re-use the desk.

does it seem everybody is getting just a bit edgy her on the low lately or what?????

I think we need some 3-A football to talk about!!!!!! I don't know if i can wait for 119 days for the season to start. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bandera YaYa
04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by rhs78

does it seem everybody is getting just a bit edgy her on the low lately or what?????

I think we need some 3-A football to talk about!!!!!! I don't know if i can wait for 119 days for the season to start. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nah....we are just feeling frisky !!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

AP Panther Fan
04-29-2005, 11:00 AM
ha ha....I knew if I let it go, it wouldn't really matter!:cool:

Thanks for taking up my slack.:D

rhs78
04-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Nah....we are just feeling frisky !!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

frisky is good, edgy isn't!!!!! still think some posters are getting a more shall we say agressive (to be political correct,can we even use the word political anymore?)

44INAROW
04-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by rhs78

I think we need some 3-A football to talk about!!!!!! I don't know if i can wait for 119 days for the season to start. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Heavens for 7 on 7 - will be starting soon :clap: :clap:

AggieJohn
04-30-2005, 01:26 AM
remember this isn't a political thread