PDA

View Full Version : State Golf Tournament question

VWG
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
What teams advanced to the state tournament?
Boys and Girls

Gobbla2001
04-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Don't 8 teams make the Tourney, two out of each region?

If So, Llano and Cuero for Boys...

And I 'believe' Yoakum A and Yoakum B for girls... didn't get final results on that and forget how it is seeded etc...

gobbler grad
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Canyon and Graham out of Region 1, for sure

anyone know region 2 & 3 results for boys...
I heard maybe Palestine and Huffman from reg. 3 and Atlanta and Mt. Vernon from reg. 2...not really sure, though...:thinking:

wildstangs
04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Region 1 Girls: 1. Snyder 2. Sweetwater

Pball
05-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Canyon and Graham out of Region 1, for sure

anyone know region 2 & 3 results for boys...
I heard maybe Palestine and Huffman from reg. 3 and Atlanta and Mt. Vernon from reg. 2...not really sure, though...:thinking:

Palestine won regionals by 32 strokes. I believe their total was 624.

jason
05-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Pball
I believe their total was 624. that won by 32 ??????? geez....

44INAROW
05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by jason
that won by 32 ??????? geez....

Jason, I think some regions are stronger than others........ :D

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

:eek: :eek: Surely not! ;)

Pball
05-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: :eek: Surely not! ;)

Appears the weather was a big factor at our regionals. It is the sixth straight tournament won by Palestine this year.

4-29-05
By Scott Tyler
H-P Sports Editor

BRENHAM - If the gusting winds through Brenham Country Club Thursday afternoon could not blow away Palestine's hopes of reaching the state golf tournament, nothing could.

The Wildcats, dealing with 30 mph winds throughout the day, won the Class 3A, Region III golf tournament by 32 strokes.

"Anytime you can win a regional championship, it is something special and we are proud to represent this region at the state tournament," Palestine golf coach Tommy Allison said. "I did not feel like we played our best golf but the scores were all right for the conditions we were playing in."

Palestine finished the second round Thursday with a 317 and with its Wednesday score of 307, the Wildcats carded a two-day total of 624. Both scores were the low rounds of the day by a team. The 317 Palestine posted Thursday was tied for the second lowest round of the tournament.

Columbus, who started the second round in third place, jumped into second to join Palestine at the state tournament. Columbus shot a 656, beating out third-place Madisonville by one stroke. Huffman-Hargrave entered the second round in second place, but faltered with a 343 Thursday to finish fourth with a 669.

It is the sixth straight tournament won by Palestine this year, but the Wildcats want to finish with one more title - the state tournament. The UIL Class 2A state tournament will take place on May 12 and 13 at Jimmy Clay Golf Course in Austin.

"To me, winning regionals does not matter that much because our main goal is to go and win state," senior Jeffrey Schwab said. "Winning state is what I have been working for."

Coming into Thursday's second round, Palestine held a 10-stroke lead over Huffman-Hargrave and the Wildcats along with the rest of the regional golfers started the afternoon round by dealing with whipping winds throughout the course.

"Today there were several times when you would start your swing and then a gust of wind would come through," Schwab said. "It was at least a two-club wind for most of the round."

Junior Joseph Totah finished the second round with a 77 and his two-day total of 152 was tied for second with Lorena's Josh Uptmore. Diboll's Matthew Oates won the top individual medalist with a 151.

"We took a step closer to our goal of winning state," Totah said. "Now we have to get serious the next two weeks."

With finishing tied for second, Totah and Uptmore had a playoff for the second-place medal. Both golfers pared the par-four No. 1. Then they moved to No. 18 and Uptmore used a third-shot chip to get within two feet of the cup as he went on to win the hole over Totah.

Freshman Jeremy Lambright finished tied for fourth with a 154. Lambright shot a 74 Wednesday to help Palestine build its lead and then shot an 80 in the second round.

"Jeremy's play Wednesday was big for us getting our lead," Schwab said. "He definitely stepped up and performed how we knew he could."

Jacob Taylor finished eighth overall with a two-day total of 157 after his round of 78 Thursday.

Schwab carded a 160 as he shot 82 Thursday and Steve Herrington finished with a two-round total of 162 after his round of 83 Thursday.

Palestine has two weeks to prepare for the state tournament.

"We are going to practice hard the next two weeks," Allison said. "We have the ability to win it but we have to play our best."

The Palestine "B" team also competed in the regional tournament and finished eighth with a total of 687. The squad shot a 336 in the first round and a 351 in the second round.

Manck
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Boys Conference 3A
Teams
I Canyon, Graham
II Mount Vernon, Atlanta
III Palestine, Columbus
IV Llano, Cuero

Medalists
I *Miles Seybert, Perryton Kevin Doskocil, Hillsboro

II *Corey Roberson, Canton Lance Scott, Texarkana Pleasant Grove

III *Mathew Oates, Diboll Josh Utmore, Lorena

IV *TJ Vague, Liberty Hill Cory Baker, La Vernia

Girls Conference 3A
Teams
I Snyder, Sweetwater
II Spring Hill, Atlanta
III Bellville, Sealy
IV Yoakum - A, Yoakum- B

Medalists
I *Allison Jordan, Monahans Shelly Martinez, Pecos

II *Tracy Williams, Van Alstyne Amanda Genovese, Crandall

III *Katie Oliver, China Spring Mallory McAdams, Robinson

IV Katie Belsen, Ingleside

Pball
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Palestine leads after first day

CLASS 3A
(At Austin)

THURSDAY'S RESULTS
First of two rounds, (Jimmy Clay GC, par 72)

BOYS TEAM STANDINGS
Palestine, 304
Canyon, 307
Graham, 314
Atlanta, 322
Cuero, 322
Llano, 327
Columbus, 330
Mount Vernon, 341

INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
Top Five:
Mathew Oates, Diboll, 68
Kevin Doskocil, Hillsboro, 71
Joseph Totah, Palestine, 73
Jacob Taylor, Palestine, 73
Jonathan Shelley, Canyon, 74

Other East Texas Golfers:
Corey Roberson, Canton, 76
Jeffrey Schwab, Palestine, 78
Teddy Brabham, Atlanta, 79
Steve Herrington, Palestine, 80
Matthew Miller, Atlanta, 80
Steven Daugherty, Atlanta, 80
Jeremy Lambright, Palestine, 81
Lance Scott, Texarkana Pleasant Grove, 81
Zach Jaggers, Mount Vernon, 83
John Marshall, Mount Vernon, 83
Blake White, Atlanta, 83
Martin Tanner, Atlanta, 89

Phantom Stang
05-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Lady Mustang golfers are just two back after 1st round
By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor

AUSTIN -- Led by the play of seniors Brittany Mercer and Kelly Rainbolt, the Sweetwater girls shot a 338 in Thursday's opening round and are just two shots out of the lead entering today's final round of the Class 3A golf tournament.

The only teams ahead of the Lady Mustangs are the schools who have won the last two state titles, Snyder and Yoakum, who both carded 336s at the Jimmy Clay Golf Course.

Mercer and Rainbolt rank 2-3 in the medalist standings af-ter shooting 76 and 77, respect-ively. Emily Kvinta of Yoakum leads all medalists with a 72. Rainbolt is tied for third place with Ashley Watkins of Sealy and Katie Belser of Ingleside. Also for Sweetwater, Kirsten Elliott shot 91, Ashley Holcomb 94 and Ashley Timm 99.

Sweetwater, which is making its first state appearance in 24 years, has a 16-shot advantage over both Atlanta and Long-view Spring Hill, who are tied for fourth at 354.

Head coach Carola Martin was happy with the team's per-formance Thursday. "I think we thought we'd be where we're at, but not with this score," she said. "But the wind was blowing more and it's a hard course. They have a lot bigger trees and lots of up and down terrain."

Mercer shot identical 38s on each nine Thursday, but Rain-bolt -- the number two medalist at the regional tournament -- rallied with a 37 after a 40 on the front nine. "Kelly really had to battle," Martin said.

I think it will take a 331 or 332 like we shot at regionals to win it (today)," she continued. "But I think everyone will step up. We are real excited about our chances."

P.O. Box 750, Sweetwater, Texas 79556 Phone: 325-236-6677
Copyright © 2005 Sweetwater Reporter

Pball
05-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Was just informed that Palestine won state by 21 strokes. Guess you are right, some regions are stronger then others :inlove: