PDA

View Full Version : most embarrasing owners in Texas sports history

AggieJohn
04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
"I haven't given this much thought, but here's a preliminary list:

1) Bud Adams - Runined the relationship that his team had with the city through constant negotiation fumblings including Earl Campbell, Bum Phillips, Warren Moon, Jacksonville and finally Tennessee. A fanbase that once chanted LUV YA BLUE has 5 people show up at a rally to have the team stay. Played as the Tennessee Oilers, which made no sense, just to make sure that when Houston got a team again that they couldn't take the name (later negotiated its retirement).

2) Mark Cuban - Props for building up a dieing franchise, but is more recognizable than his players, constantly does something to get attention, dresses horribly, and let's not forget the worst TV show of all time: The Benefactor.

3) Jerry Jones - As arrogant as they come. Ran off a football coach after he had won consecutive championships. Coddled dope smoking, coke snorting players instead of keeping the only source of discipline around. Allegedly "dieted" his way into a new look, just like Michael Jackson. Similar attitude t Cuban, but ranks behind him due to championships.

4) Tom Hicks - did get bailed out by the Yanks, but first signed a REEDICKULUS deal with Alex Rodriguez handicapping his team for several years. Also, pays certain college athletes to 'play baseball' for him despite their talents in other sports.

5) John McCullen (former Astros owner before Drayton, I think I have the name wrong) - refused to resign Nolyn Ryan because of the difference of a couple of bucks. Told fans that Jim Clancy would replace him. Never listened to his GM's.

Add your own list and feel free to disagree with mine. "

PhiI C
04-28-2005, 07:54 PM
I never could understand Jerry Jones getting rid of Jimmy Johnson when he did. Johnson had the chance to become the first coach in NFL history to win 3 straight super bowls and deserved that chance and Jones wouldn't even let him have that chance for just one more year. If I had a good employee it wouldn't matter to me if I was snubbed by the employee anywhere as long as he/she did good work. Also don't forget the lack of class Jones showed when he fired Coach Landry not that he didn't have that right since he was the new owner but Coach Landry deserved better treatment.

Pmoney
04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Mark Cuban an embarrasing owner??? He pretty much built the Mavs..he saved that franchise...He is one of the best owners in the league bc he knows how to spend the $

rockdale80
04-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Mark Cuban an embarrasing owner??? He pretty much built the Mavs..he saved that franchise...He is one of the best owners in the league bc he knows how to spend the $

agreed.....

HighSchool Fan
04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I never could understand Jerry Jones getting rid of Jimmy Johnson when he did. Johnson had the chance to become the first coach in NFL history to win 3 straight super bowls and deserved that chance and Jones wouldn't even let him have that chance for just one more year. If I had a good employee it wouldn't matter to me if I was snubbed by the employee anywhere as long as he/she did good work. Also don't forget the lack of class Jones showed when he fired Coach Landry not that he didn't have that right since he was the new owner but Coach Landry deserved better treatment.

the star players for the cowboys at the time all said that it was time for Jimmy Johnson to go. they all said that they couldn't take another year with him. his gruff attitude and military style coaching doesn't work with the veterans, look at how he did in miami. he was a great coach for a young team. and as for the landry firing, it was time for him to go. acutally past time. "bum" bright should of done that a couple of years earlier. if you owned a company and it started losing money, how long would it take you to replace that person? dallas wasn't really competitive after 1983. his last 5 years he was 36-43, and every year was getting worse. it was an emotional day, but it had to be done.

Maroon87
04-29-2005, 04:07 PM
The former Astros owner was McMullen. However you spell it, he was a dope.

PhiI C
04-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the star players for the cowboys at the time all said that it was time for Jimmy Johnson to go. they all said that they couldn't take another year with him. his gruff attitude and military style coaching doesn't work with the veterans, look at how he did in miami. he was a great coach for a young team. and as for the landry firing, it was time for him to go. acutally past time. "bum" bright should of done that a couple of years earlier. if you owned a company and it started losing money, how long would it take you to replace that person? dallas wasn't really competitive after 1983. his last 5 years he was 36-43, and every year was getting worse. it was an emotional day, but it had to be done. ]

I'm not sure. Michael Irwin blew his cool when he found out.

slpybear the bullfan
04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
No complaints about Jerry Jones here.

No such thing as a perfect owner...

I just wish Jerry would pony up and buy out Hicks...

mwynn05
04-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the star players for the cowboys at the time all said that it was time for Jimmy Johnson to go. they all said that they couldn't take another year with him. his gruff attitude and military style coaching doesn't work with the veterans, look at how he did in miami. he was a great coach for a young team. and as for the landry firing, it was time for him to go. acutally past time. "bum" bright should of done that a couple of years earlier. if you owned a company and it started losing money, how long would it take you to replace that person? dallas wasn't really competitive after 1983. his last 5 years he was 36-43, and every year was getting worse. it was an emotional day, but it had to be done. I have also seen a few of the stars say this on TV

Phil C
04-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I still say it would have been worth keeping Jimmy Johnson just one more year. He earned it.

Keith7
04-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
"I haven't given this much thought, but here's a preliminary list:

4) Tom Hicks - did get bailed out by the Yanks, but first signed a REEDICKULUS deal with Alex Rodriguez handicapping his team for several years. Also, pays certain college athletes to 'play baseball' for him despite their talents in other sports.

Add your own list and feel free to disagree with mine. "

You are right about the dumb moves he has made with the rangers, but he also owns the Dallas Stars and you have to give him credit for their dominance over the past 10 years.. that gives him enough credibility to take him off the list

Phil C
04-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Strange that no one has mentioned George W. Bush Jr. who once owned the Rangers.

Just kidding of course! A little humor there. :D