PDA

View Full Version : Edna picks Schoenfeld as new AD

Gobbla2001
04-27-2005, 07:18 PM
April 27, 2005
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

Boling athletic director and head football coach Rob Schoenfeld thought he was having a good week when his oldest son Stoney's pig won first in show at the Wharton County Fair.

The week got even better Tuesday when Schoenfeld learned he would be recommended to become the athletic director and head football coach at Edna.

"It's been a good last couple of days," Schoenfeld said. "It's going to be a challenge. But if I wasn't up for it, I wouldn't have put myself in this situation."

Bob Wells, superintendent of the Edna school district, will recommend Schoenfeld at Monday's meeting of the board of trustees.

Wells said Edna received 84 applications for the position, which became vacant when Mike Menefee resigned to become an assistant coach at Illinois State. Wells said a search committee interviewed six finalists before deciding on Schoenfeld.

"Rob is an outstanding coach," Wells said. "He's young, energetic, and he seems to be a great motivator. He's had a great winning record. We're lucky to get him."

Schoenfeld has compiled a 20-23 record at Boling. He took over a team that went 0-10 the previous season and led it to three consecutive playoff appearances.

Schoenfeld was an assistant coach at Bay City in 2000 when it won the Class 4A, Division I state championship before going to Boling. Schoenfeld, who graduated from St. Joseph, was also an assistant at Boerne and Stroman.

"At this point, any job I looked into had to meet two criteria," Schoenfeld said. "The first one was getting back closer to Victoria. My wife (Tracy) and I are both from Victoria and our family is centered there. Number 2, I've been fortunate to be in great programs. I wanted to be in a situation where I have the raw material to compete year-in and year-out. The family aspect and the competitive aspect of this job fit that bill."

Schoenfeld is looking forward to meeting the athletes and coaches at Edna so he can begin getting ready for next season.

"Since there's such a short time before the end of school, the first thing I want to do is getting to know the kids and find out their capability," Schoenfeld said. "I have to find out what they can do football wise."

Edna went 0-10 last season and competes in District 26-3A against Cuero, Yoakum, Hallettsville, Gonzales and Luling.

"It's a similar situation to what I had in Boling," Schoenfeld said. "Both districts had great competition. Of course, in (Class) 3A the situation is ratcheted up a little higher. The district's a pretty tough zip code to be in. From top to bottom it's a real tough district. But tough competition makes everybody put their best foot forward."

While Schoenfeld is anxious to get started in Edna, he enjoyed his stay at Boling.

"Words cannot express my appreciation for the community, the administration and the board for giving me a shot," Schoenfeld said. "Every time you have a head coach opening in Texas, you have about 100 people apply. I'm glad they gave me a shot to come in and run the program. The great thing is I can walk out the door in Boling and look in the mirror and know things are in great shape in all the sports."

PhiI C
04-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I wonder who the other five finalists were.

Gobbla2001
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
I was one, but Southlake nabbed me, was a tough decision... ;)

lepfan
04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I was one, but Southlake nabbed me, was a tough decision... ;)

Dream on Bubba!

crabman
04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Schoenfeld is a quality human being. Great guy. Look for that program to be on the rise very quickly.