PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Hoops

panther power
04-27-2005, 05:38 PM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- Eddie Smith of Moberly (Mo.) Area Community College has signed a national letter-of-intent to play college basketball at Texas A&M, head coach Billy Gillispie said Wednesday.

Smith, a 6-2, 185-pound guard originally from Springfield, Mo., earned first-team All-America honors by the National Junior College Athletic Association last season after leading the team to a 30-7 record and the national championship game. Smith was named most valuable player of NJCAA Region 16 after leading the region in scoring (18.2), assists (6.0) and steals (3.5). He also added 4.7 rebounds per contest. In addition, Smith was named to the NJCAA all-tournament team.

“We’re totally ecstatic to have Eddie join our program,” Gillispie said. “We have a nice backcourt coming back and the addition of Eddie will help us tremendously. He’s a game changer both offensively and defensively. One of the things I like most about him is that he’s a vocal leader and I think he’ll fit in well with our other guys.”

In 2003-04, Smith was one of just five freshmen to be named All-America, earning honorable mention honors, and was a first-team all-region selection. Smith is one of just four players in Moberly Area CC history to twice earn All-America citations and is the first since 1967. Moberly has produced 19 NBA players, including former all-stars Mitch Richmond and Gerald Wilkins.

“Eddie will have an impact on the Big 12 right away,” said Jerry Mullen of Mullen’s Roundball Review. “He would not have even considered A&M a year ago, but A&M gained a lot of credibility this year as competitive as they were in the Big 12. There’s no question that’s a reflection on Billy Gillispie. Eddie wanted to go where he would have a chance to win. He’s really disruptive on the defensive end and is extremely creative on the offensive end. He’s also a very tough competitor who is fast with the ball, which allows him to penetrate and create.”

“Eddie is a fierce competitor, whether he’s playing a coach one-on-one or playing in the national championship game,” Moberly coach Mark Bernsen said. “He plays to win every possession and is a hard matchup because of his quickness and basketball IQ. He’s one of the few guys I’ve ever coached who can change a game at both ends of the court.”

Smith also was recruited by Missouri, Minnesota, Georgetown, Florida State, Colorado and Kansas State.

jason
04-27-2005, 05:43 PM
watch out NIT Finals....aggies will make a run.....

panther power
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
nice pic, don't get me started.....I have tons of ammo.

JasperDog94
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you're being called out Jason.:eek: ;)

panther power
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
The All-American? I have a question...why do you have that pic? What's the story "behind" it? Are you a Texas fan?