PDA

View Full Version : Eight more to Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame!

Phil C
04-27-2005, 04:45 PM
The members of the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame are indviduals who had made a major favorable impact on the Cotton Bowl which includes mostly coaches and players.

This year the 8 individuals are:

Mike Dean the Offensive Lineman from UT. In the 1970 Cotton Bowl he had to block Notre Dame's Mike McCoy who was the No. 2 NFL draft pick and did a great job helping Texas to win the game 21 to 17. Dean was 6ft, 205lbs while McCoy was 6ft5, 275 lbs. Before the game someone asked Dean what he was going to do about blocking McCoy and he said "Well first I am going to become friends with him." When McCoy heard about it he said "I don't want to be friends with him." After the game Dean told McCoy "Mike, it's time to be friends." lol

Troy Aikman who lead UCLA over Arkansas in the 1989 Bowl. We all know what he did for the Cowboys.

Lance Alworth, Arkansas - a great receiver that made it good for San Diego and later Dallas in pro football.

Andy Kozar, Tennessee who played in the 1951 classic.

Hank Lauricella, Tennessee who also played in the 1951 classic.

Jim "Hoss" Brock, Cotton Bowl Association, he was executive director of the Cotton Bowl Association for 14 years.

Lydell Mitchell, Penn State who was in the 1972 classic

Coach Gene Stallings who lead Texas A&M to a great victory over Alabama in the 1968 Cotton Bowl and played football for the Aggies in the 50s.

Those men joined outstanding company such as Jim Brown, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, Coach Darrell Royal, Sammy Baugh, Coach Bear Bryant, Duke Carlisle, Roger Stauback, Scott Appleton, and Russell Maryland.

Phil C
04-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I didn't notice the great Texas Linebacker Tommy Nobis there but he will probably be a future one there.

PhiI C
04-27-2005, 10:55 PM
With the job that Tommy Nobis did on Roger Stauback and Navy it is a surprise that he isn't there also.

pirate44
04-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Phil C, is the Tyler ROse anywhere on that list?

Phil C
04-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
Phil C, is the Tyler ROse anywhere on that list?

Pirate44 surprisenly no. He only played in one and Texas got beat bad in that game by Notre Dame but one reason was ND stopped Earl by teaming on him and Texas couldn't do anything else right that day. Still by having to win by stopping Earl would have justified him being there considering who else I have seen on the list. Roger Stauback was whipped bad by Texas. He did get some statistics that looked good but most of that was against the Texas third stringers when Texas had the game in hand and he would get third and 20 against the first stringers and then Texas didn't care if he completed a 15 yard pass on third down.