PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Cumbie

pero chato
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Undrafted Cumbie catches on with Colts
By Joshua Parrott / Reporter-News Staff Writer
April 26, 2005

Although Sonny Cumbie was passed over in last weekend's NFL draft, the former Snyder High School and Texas Tech quarterback still got what he wanted - a chance to make an NFL roster.

On Sunday, soon after the conclusion of the second day of the draft, Cumbie agreed in principle to a free-agent contract with the Indianapolis Colts. Cumbie's agent, Scott Casterline of Team Sports, wouldn't disclose financial terms of the deal, which is a three-year agreement.

Cumbie leaves for Indianapolis on Thursday to participate in a three-day rookie minicamp, which starts on Friday. Casterline said the Indianapolis coaches just want to ''look at Sonny in person and make sure he is healthy'' before he signs with the team.

''As the second day of the draft went on, I didn't expect to get drafted. The opportunity is what I was looking for, and I got that chance,'' said Cumbie, who expects to sign with the Colts on Sunday. ''They called my agent after the draft, and it was a real quick deal. I'm so fortunate this happened, and I'm so excited about it.

''I'm just glad I get to keep living out this dream I have of making the NFL.''

Last season, the 6-foot-4, 214-pound Cumbie upheld the tradition of the offensively explosive Red Raiders by throwing for 4,742 yards - the most in the nation and sixth-most in a single season in NCAA history - and 32 touchdowns in his only season as a starter. He led the country in total offense at 381.3 yards per game and was named the team's offensive MVP.

In his final college game, Cumbie concluded his Texas Tech career by throwing for a career-high 520 yards and three touchdowns in a 45-31 win over No. 4-ranked California in the Holiday Bowl. Cumbie was named the game's offensive MVP. Cumbie's passing total broke the previous school bowl record of 497, which was set in the 2003 Houston Bowl by B.J. Symons.

''As a kid, I always thought it was cool to have someone from your hometown get drafted, but just knowing I'm going to get to continue to represent Snyder and the Big Country makes me proud,'' Cumbie said. ''And I'll carry that pride wherever I'm at.''

Cumbie will be joining an Indianapolis Colts team that features the reigning two-time league MVP in quarterback Peyton Manning. Last season, Manning led an offense that finished second in the NFL in total offense - first in passing - and led the league with a team-record 522 points, the fifth-highest total in NFL history.

Manning also set single-season league records with 49 touchdowns and a 121.1 passer rating.

''Indianapolis was the best situation for Sonny,'' said Casterline, who also was contacted by several other NFL teams - including the Dallas Cowboys - about Cumbie. ''Based upon 22 years of experience, I feel he's special. He makes quick decisions and has a strong arm. The Colts don't have a lot of depth behind Peyton at quarterback, so that fit was an ideal fit for Sonny.''

The Colts now have three players with ties to the Big Country on their roster. Former Cooper High School standouts Dominic Rhodes and Justin Snow also play for Indianapolis.

''It will be great getting to learn under one of the best passers in football, but I can't get ahead of myself,'' Cumbie said. ''I just have to focus on going out and doing a good job later this week at the minicamp.''

injuredinmelee
04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
will he meet the sam fate as his two predecessors?

injuredinmelee
04-26-2005, 04:19 PM
want to start controversy go over to the pig and say he was a system QB. Nich will jump on that fast.