PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Point must forfeit football, basketball wins

HighSchool Fan
04-26-2005, 05:59 AM
By ETHAN B. SZATMARY / Denton Record-Chronicle

SANGER – Pilot Point officials learned Monday that the school's entire football and boys basketball seasons have been forfeited.

The forfeits cut G.A. Moore's state record for football coaching victories to 404 from 412. All 29 of the basketball team's victories were lost, as well.

The District 6-3A executive committee voted unanimously that sophomore Adam McBride, a member of both teams, has been ineligible for the entire school year.

The 6-3A executive committee also unanimously passed a motion to request that the University Interscholastic League state executive committee investigate the Pilot Point athletic program to determine if there are more improprieties.

If Pilot Point is found guilty of further violations, UIL athletic director Dr. Charles Breithaupt said there is a wide range of action the UIL can take – from private reprimand to suspension of any extracurricular activity. Also, the UIL could suspend Pilot Point from all extracurricular activities if the school is determined to have lost institutional control.

Moore, who underwent angioplasty surgery Friday, could not be reached for comment. Pilot Point superintendent Cloyce Purcell and Lewis McBride, Adam's father, declined to comment.

Monday's rulings came in the wake of allegations of improper usage of e-mail by coaches at the school. The e-mail contained racial epithets, sexual innuendo and discussion of more recruiting violations.

After local newspapers published excerpts of these e-mails, the school's Massey Stadium was vandalized. Police said that five Pilot Point seniors planted a basketball goal at the 50-yard-line and covered the facility in graffiti on April 14.

"I just felt that with all of the recent problems we've seen in the newspapers that the Pilot Point athletic program is literally out of control," said Ray Lea, Whitesboro superintendent and 6-3A executive committee member.

The committee had previously ruled that McBride was ineligible from Nov. 4 through March 24 because his family had moved into a house in the Aubrey school district.

The 6-3A committee had ruled on March 24 that Pilot Point must forfeit its last two football games and all of its basketball season. New evidence was submitted during an appeal to the UIL executive committee, but the state committee remanded the issue back to the district.

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Wow! That's really too bad. I'm sure with the situation with the brothers who played because of injunction didn't help the district's feelings. I hope everything turns around for PP.

Phil C
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I think Coach Moore had the most victories of all coaches in pros, college or high school before the forfeits but now this puts him behind Eddie Robinson of Grambling who had 408 wins when he retired.

kepdawg
04-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think Coach Moore had the most victories of all coaches in pros, college or high school before the forfeits but now this puts him behind Eddie Robinson of Grambling who had 408 wins when he retired.

Going into last season:

John McKissick (Summerville, SC), 1952-03 (511-120-13) [80.4%]

Phil C
04-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Thank you kep. I wonder why he didn't get more publicity than he did. He is way ahead of everyone else.

lepfan
04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
It is sad that kids who had no control are the ones who will suffer these consequences the most!

Bandera YaYa
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
It is sad that kids who had no control are the ones who will suffer these consequences the most! Isn't that how it always is???? And, who cares about a coaches "numbers" ?? He should have been more concerned with other things going on, then how many "wins" he was stacking up......well guess you do get what you deserve..... :(

HighSchool Fan
04-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
It is sad that kids who had no control are the ones who will suffer these consequences the most!

usually that is the case. everyone in PP knew about GA Moore and knows how he works the system. it's hard to feel sorry for the kids that will suffer the consequences since their parents and the town of PP knew what was going on.

KTJ
04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I agree. People in both PP and Celina knew how he worked his system. They knew exactly what was going on.

When you get several move-ins into a small school and a small town, word goes around fast. People talk.

Phil C
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
We have to remember the old days when a man's reputation meant more than what he had. If a man was known to be honest and paid his bills on time that meant more to the bank than what you had for collateral. But that was the old days. We must remember that before this Coach Moore was known for his honesty and integrety. At least that is what I was told.

HighSchool Fan
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
We have to remember the old days when a man's reputation meant more than what he had. If a man was known to be honest and paid his bills on time that meant more to the bank than what you had for collateral. But that was the old days. We must remember that before this Coach Moore was known for his honesty and integrety. At least that is what I was told.

as a man, i have the utmost respect for GA. it's the excess baggage that i don't care for.

spiveyrat
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
No where to go, from here, but up.... right??? :eek: (Of course, every time I think that, something else happens in PP)

Old Cardinal
04-26-2005, 02:26 PM
This type of thing is still not as rampant as it was in the distant past...There was a time when White Oak, Hull-Daisetta, Daingerfield and several dozen others would recruit men to come work in their oilfields just so they could have their youth boaster the local athletic programs, exp. football. There were also boys more-or-less brought in to live with other famlies just to play football.
There is some very questionable things that I know of going on in some programs but this one being discussed here is a little much!