PDA

View Full Version : chemical engineering HELP!

smustangs
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
i am thinking about majoring in chemical engineering at Texas A&M has ne one on here been there done that or any thing like it? should i?

Bandera YaYa
04-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Not me, but trust me.....there is someone on here that will give you an answer! :rolleyes:

smustangs
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
this thread is in no way meant to start the longhorn aggie bashing session again.

AggieJohn
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Not me, but trust me.....there is someone on here that will give you an answer! :rolleyes:
While Bandera is obviously talking about me, i will give my two cents ...

the engineering program at texas A&M is bar none better than most in the nation, we just got a new chemical engineering building, 8 stories tall, it's a great piece of work. The program is getting bigger, i would do it:clap:

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
i am thinking about majoring in chemical engineering at Texas A&M has ne one on here been there done that or any thing like it? should i?

My oldest son is a ChemEng major at UT. I'm sure the curriculum at A&M is similar. If you are very good at math (calculus) and science (chem & physics) and have a passion for them, then it's a good career/degree choice. I can't say whether you should or shouldn't, can only tell you what he's experienced. It is a tough major, but if you get past the first 2-3 semesters, it may go a little easier.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

smustangs
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
well im goin to tarleton for the first year to finish my basics cheaper and mainly because i decided i wanted to go to a&m to late to apply. and then im goin to tranfer to a&m. but i still havent decided if i want to be a chemical engineer major or not its either that or agriculture economics

PhiI C
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
If that is your interest I would think Texas A&M University at College Station would be a great place to get it.

AggieJohn
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
heck if you choose age eco, A&M is the place to be

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Either choice would be good. From what I know, AgEco would be an easier route that ChemEng. However, you must find your niche in what really grabs you. You may find a class that completely changes your perspective on what you want as a career and it may be completely different than either. Good luck in making your decision. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. ;)

PhiI C
04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
I agree with LH. Learn your math and calculus. My undergraduate degree was Chemical Engineering but my dedication was not in it and my grades reflected it. It wasn't a total loss because I was able to use my degree later to go into accounting and get my CPA license and get an MBA degree. But I can't encourage enough to learn all that math and calculus.

PhiI C
04-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Back in my day the recommended schools in Texas in engineering if you could go to one of them were Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. There were other good schools but those were considered the top in Texas.

KTJ
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Top Chem Eng. Schools

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

2. Stanford University (CA)

3. University of California–Berkeley

4. University of Illinois

5. Georgia Institute of Technology

6. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor

7. California Institute of Technology

8. University of Southern California

(tie)9. Purdue University
9. The University of Texas–Austin

(tie)11. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
11. Cornell University (NY)
11. University of California–San Diego

14. Texas A&M University–College Station

15. University of Wisconsin–Madison

PhiI C
04-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Good research Jason.

AggieJohn
04-25-2005, 11:52 PM
you mean KTJ

PhiI C
04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Apologies to Jason and KTJ. Thanks for the correction AggieJohn.

AggieJohn
04-25-2005, 11:55 PM
no prob