PDA

View Full Version : The Badge of Marshall Brennan on Western Channel this Wednesday.

Phil C
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
It will be on twice at 1:10 P.M. and 10.35 P.M. and is about 80 minutes long. This is a 1957 movie with Jim Davis who was famous as the father on Dallas television series. It also has a young villian in it Lee Van Cleef who is the crooked ranch owner's son. Also Carl Smith a famous country singer of the 50s stars as Sheriff Smith (how obvious). The famous singer Marty Robins (famous for the song El Paso) appears as one of the rancher's ranch hands named Felipe. Not a bad movie if you have some free time.

pirate44
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The famous singer Marty Robins (famous for the song El Paso) appears as one of the rancher's ranch hands named Felipe.
nice bit of trivia Phil C. was he in very many movies that you know of?

Marty Robbin's "No. 1 Cowboy" cd is a must have for music lovers

Phil C
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Pirate he did make a few other movies.

In 1957 he appeared in another Jim Davis movie Called Raiders of Old California which also had Lee Van Cleef in it.

In the early 60s he made another movie called Bufallo Gun which also had Carl Smith and Webb Smith who were also great country singers of that time.

In 1964 he made Ballad of a Gunfighter which was based on his hit song El Paso.

He also appeared as Smoky in the 1982 Clint Eastwood movie Honkytonk Man. He passed away after filming this movie.

He didn't appear in the 1959 Gary Cooper movie The Hanging Tree but did sing the title song.

In my opinion El Paso is one of the greatest country music songs ever done. I think he also sang A White Sports Coat which was a popular song in the 1950s.

pirate44
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
In my opinion El Paso is one of the greatest country music songs ever done.
i couldnt agree more. some people say country music and cowboy music are different genres, but if thats the case, i'd put that one in the top few of all cowboy songs. i had heard another song he did in my years growing up, but i didnt realize until recently (i finally paid attention to the lyrics) that it was a sequal to "El Paso".
That song is "El Paso City"