PDA

View Full Version : NFL draft's all-time flops by fox sports

pirate44
04-22-2005, 04:30 PM
1. Tony Mandarich, second overall pick, 1989
I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but the Packers had their choice of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, and Mandarich. Even Jose Canseco would have steered clear of Mandarich.

2. Todd Blackledge, seventh overall pick, 1983
The famed "Class of 1983" consisted of six quarterbacks taken in the first round. John Elway was the first pick in the draft. When the Chiefs picked at number seven, they had their choice between Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Tony Eason, and Ken O'Brien. They picked Blackledge. He threw a total of 26 touchdown passes for the Chiefs. Marino threw 420 for the Dolphins. Even if there were questions surrounding Marino, they should have taken Jim Kelly. If they were flummoxed about which quarterback, they should have taken Bruce Matthews, a sensational college and NFL lineman.

3. Blair Thomas, second overall pick, 1990
Blackledge was from Penn State, as was Blair Thomas. Note to self: This is not the university to find skill position players. After the Indianapolis Colts picked Jeff George, the Jets were on the board. They might have taken linebacker Junior Seau. They might have taken defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy. They might have taken offensive tackle Richmond Webb. They wanted a running back. Let's see who was available. There was Blair Thomas, and then there was some kid named Emmitt. Nahhhh. Oh, for the record, Thomas had a career season in 1991, when he rushed for 728 yards.

4. Ryan Leaf, second overall pick, 1998

Ryan Leaf blew in San Diego (and beyond) during his brief NFL stint. (Doug Pensinger / Getty Images)

What a waste of talent! Not that the third overall pick in this draft (Andre Wadsworth) or the fifth (Curtis Enis) did anything in the NFL, but Leaf was a complete bust. The Chargers, Cardinals, or Bears could have had Randy Moss. Although Moss was considered a character risk, he would go on to win the Rookie of the Year award. Leaf, on the other hand, is well known as one of the worst picks of all time.

5. Andre Ware, 10th overall pick, 1990
At the University of Houston in 1989, Andre Ware threw 46 touchdown passes in 11 games. The Lions selected him, and gave him a $1 million signing bonus. He threw exactly five touchdown passes in four years in the NFL. He would play in Canada, without much success there, either.

6. Tim Couch, first overall pick, 1999
The first three picks in the NFL draft were quarterbacks. The new Cleveland Browns wanted a quarterback to last a long time. Couch broke down just when his warranty expired. The Eagles had the second pick in the draft, and made an unpopular choice for their fans. They selected Donovan McNabb over running back Ricky Williams. The selections of Couch and McNabb are the primary reasons for Cleveland's lack of success — and Philadelphia's winning ways.

7. Heath Shuler, third overall pick, 1994
It wasn't a great draft, but Shuler was the only one of the top four players picked that really flopped. Dan Wilkinson has had an 11-year career, including more than 50 sacks. Marshall Faulk has had a brilliant career at running back. After the Redskins chose Shuler, the Patriots picked Willie McGinest. The Skins had Shuler, but not for long. Washington gave him a real opportunity. Heath ended his career with 15 touchdown passes and 33 interceptions. They impeached him midway through his term.

8. Ricky Bell, first overall pick, 1977
The Bucs' coach was John McKay, and he wanted a back from "Tailgate U" who ran "Student Body Right." Ricky Bell had one good season in the NFL. In 1979, he ran for over 1,200 yards. McKay passed up Tony Dorsett, who had about 10 of those seasons.

9. Walt Patulski, first overall pick, 1972
Patulski was a defensive end from Notre Dame selected by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills had a great running back named Simpson, so they passed on Penn State running back Franco Harris. The Bills could have taken a great athlete from Oregon named Bobby Moore. You might know Moore better by the name he took soon after college: Ahmad Rashad. Patulski played five uneventful seasons.

10. Kelly Stouffer, sixth overall pick of the 1987 draft
He was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals, but played his brief and ineffective NFL career with Seattle. He had a total of seven touchdown passes and 19 interceptions in his career. He was picked ahead of Shane Conlan, Jerome Brown, Rod Woodson, and quarterback Chris Miller.

But you can't limit this list to just 10 busts. If I wanted to pick on the Cleveland Browns, I would have thrown in their pick of Courtney Brown, another bust as a first overall selection.

But I don't want to let the Jets and Bengals off the hook for picking receivers in 1985 ahead of Jerry Rice. Al Toon caught 517 passes, including 31 for touchdowns. Eddie Brown had 363 receptions, including 41 for touchdowns. Toon made the Pro Bowl three times, and Brown once.

Of course, they didn't last nearly as long as Rice.

But their franchises made flops with their picks, because even in their primes, they weren't close to Rice, the greatest receiver of all time.

That's one of the reasons it's so hard to judge a draft until years later.

But even when they drafted Rice, I'm sure the 49ers didn't realize what they had.

PhiI C
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
It was a shame about Tony because he had the potential to have been one of the best offensive linemen ever in the NFL.

TheDOCTORdre
04-22-2005, 11:21 PM
wheres the boz or bos or however its spelled he was supposed to be awesome

pirate44
04-23-2005, 08:27 AM
or steve entman drafted by the colts in 92 or 93 i believe. first overall pick but blewout a knee very early on. their 2ndoverall pick quentin quoryatt didnt fare much better with a less than stellar short carreer

GreenMonster
04-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
or steve entman drafted by the colts in 92 or 93 i believe. first overall pick but blewout a knee very early on. their 2ndoverall pick quentin quoryatt didnt fare much better with a less than stellar short carreer
Coryatt sure made a ton of money off that one big hit he laid on that poor dude from TCU. Greatest hit I have ever seen at any level.

pirate44
04-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Coryatt sure made a ton of money off that one big hit he laid on that poor dude from TCU. Greatest hit I have ever seen at any level.
it looked like the tcu guy hit a brick wall. coryatt was more than just a one play backer though. i think he's the best A&M linebacker in school history from a program known for their linebackers. he just didnt live up to expectations in the pros.

HighSchool Fan
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
my vote goes to Billy Cannon JR, worst 1st round pick in cowboys history