PDA

View Full Version : NFL draft's all-time steals by fox sports

pirate44
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
1. Johnny Unitas, 102nd overall (ninth round)
Unitas was drafted in 1955 by the Steelers, who had four quarterbacks ahead of him in camp. Johnny U. never had a real chance, as was forced to play semi-pro ball, where he was discovered and signed a year later by the Colts.

2. Deacon Jones, 186th overall (14th round)
In 1961, Deacon Jones, one of the greatest defensive ends of all time, was spotted on film by Rams scouts only because the scouts were viewing film of Jones' opponent. Deacon had an undistinguished college career at South Carolina State and Mississippi Vocational. He was one of the best "steals" in draft history.

3. Tom Brady, 199th overall (sixth round)
The scouting report on Brady before the 2000 draft included the fact that he had a poor build, and was very skinny. He lacked great physical stature and strength. Some things, however, can't be measured by how fast you can run or how many pounds you can lift, which the Patriots' star continues to prove, Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

4. Joe Montana, 82nd overall (third round)
Jack Thompson, Phil Simms, and Steve Fuller were all first-round draft choices in 1979. Phil proved his worth, but how could 81 players be picked before the Niners took Montana?

5. Steve Largent, 117th overall (4th round)
He was a receiver at Tulsa without great size or speed. In 1976, he was a fourth-round pick by the Oilers, who traded him to the expansion Seahawks for an eighth-round pick before Largent's rookie season. He set receiving records and made the Hall of Fame.

6. Darrell Green, 28th overall (first round)
The Class of 1983 produced so many quality quarterbacks, and one great defensive back to stop them. Green was a steal by the Redskins. He was the right pick, in the right year, in the right system.

7. Howie Long, 48th overall (second round)
I actually saw Howie play at Villanova (I was attending the University of Massachusetts at the time). The Raiders wouldn't have selected Long that high if he hadn't been named MVP of the 1980 Blue-Gray game.

8. Randy Moss, 21st overall (first round)
The Bears were interested in Moss as early as pick No. 5 in 1998. Moss kept sliding, as teams were frightened off with his character issues, until Minnesota took the chance. Do you take a Kevin Dyson at wideout, or Moss and potential headaches? I would take Moss.

9. Dan Marino, 27th overall (first round)
There's no getting around that the 1983 choice of Marino was one of the best steals in NFL draft history. And he helped the Dolphins make a lot of teams (especially the Jets) pay for their mistake.

10. Jerry Rice, 16th overall (first round)
The 49ers made Rice the steal of 1985. Or ... Mike Singletary, 38th overall (second round) by Bears, 1981 ... or Dan Fouts, 84th pick overall (third round) by Chargers, 1973.

PhiI C
04-22-2005, 11:15 PM
One wonders what about Emmitt Smith picked by the Cowboys as the 17th pick.

PhiI C
04-22-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't know if it was a steal or not but I remember when Dallas drafted someone named Too Tall Jones in the 70s and a lot of us fans were wondering who he was and why the Cowboys didn't draft some of the players who were more known but it turned out Dallas couldn't have got a better player who played great defense for us for many years.

PhiI C
04-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't know about being a top ten all time steal but Dat Ngn certainly was a good pick for Dallas and I think he went in round 2 or 3 and has been a solid player.

Gobbler Fan
04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
How can they leave off Roger the Dodger Staubauch who noone wanted to draft because of his Military commitment *Dallas took him in the 10'th round* 4 Superbowl's 2 Championships not to mention a Hall of Fame career . #1 my book :thumbsup: