PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Proud

vet93
12-02-2002, 10:42 AM
West Texas has been much-maligned lately for not producing many good football teams and rightfully so. The changing demographics in the state over the last 30 years have really made it tough for most west texas teams to compete. This year has been a pleasant surprise. Three out of four of the remaining DII teams were west texas teams. Now the top two teams are both from West Texas. I believe that either team will represent the region well, regardless of the outcome on Saturday. Hopefully this is the beginning of a resurgence from a region that has had a proud history of hard-nosed football. Good luck to the Rangers and the Mustangs.

Ranger Mom
12-02-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks Vet, it's almost a shame that someone has to stay home, isn't it. I can't believe in just a few weeks it will be over with. This football season has been so much fun and I have enjoyed this board SO MUCH!!

ClydeFan
12-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Vet93, sorry about the loss to Greenwood! No shame in that... they are an excellent team. That Sweetwater/Greenwood game should be a great one.

Good luck to y'all next year! I'm sure Ballinger will be right in there again... and maybe we will too!

vet93
12-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks Clydefan...it sure is great to get support from all of my 5-3a buddies. I am already looking forward to next season. Clyde looks to be even stronger next year. Wylie is always tough and will reload again. Comanche was a surprise and should be good and both Brady and Early should be better as well. It looks like a wild season in store. We have alot of skill position people back but we are losing some good linemen. The line is the heart of a team. Hopefully some youngsters can step up. We will find out real quick how good our young linemen are when they open the season with....Greenwood! By the way Clydefan...how is Clyde's round ball team shaping up this season? You guys are usually pretty tough year in and year out.

ClydeFan:
Vet93, sorry about the loss to Greenwood! No shame in that... they are an excellent team. That Sweetwater/Greenwood game should be a great one.

Good luck to y'all next year! I'm sure Ballinger will be right in there again... and maybe we will too!

ClydeFan
12-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Vet, I think you are right about next season being a wild one. I also expect Brady and Early to be more competitive. I can't wait! We will lose several good players, especially on offense, including our QB, tailback, and top receiver, but I think the other guys will step up to the task next season. I agree with you... the line is the key.

As far as basketball goes, well... our team is okay but not as strong as last year as we lost several very talented seniors. I think they were 4-3 as of yesterday, with losses to Merkel, Jim Ned, and Eastland. I've only been able to make one game so far this season, and that was against a weak team and wasn't much of a game. This team does seem to have more "muscle" this year with the addition of the 6'5 Carpenter kid. The district is not as strong either, and I expect they have a good shot at making the playoffs. I seem to recall that Ballinger is doing pretty good this year...how are they looking?

vet93
12-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Clydefan...our varsity has just played one game since we just got out of football. It was last night and we lost to Lakeview (decent team that is currently 4-1). We lost by about 6 points. Not too bad considering the lack of practice. The girls look to be pretty salty. They are undefeated and beat lakeview by 35 points. They did have one close game with Reagan County earlier this year. Coach Buxkemper (boys) usually does a good job of preparing the boys if they will listen to him and play hard. I agree, the district should not be as strong without Merkel and Sweetwater from last year.

ClydeFan
12-05-2002, 11:04 AM
Vet93, good luck to you in basketball too. You've got a great basketball program down there as well. I've seen some great Clyde-Ballinger games the past few years. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was two years ago we won with a 3 pointer at the buzzer, and I think it was last year y'all won it at the buzzer with a 3 pointer. Our boys lost a close one Tuesday at Stephenville... by one point.