PDA

View Full Version : THE GREATEST COWBOY EVER!

marktaras
12-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Seriously, just for fun, who's the greatest Dallas Cowboy ever?

kaorder1999
12-16-2003, 06:11 PM
marktaras:
Seriously, just for fun, who's the greatest Dallas Cowboy ever?tom landry

sinton66
12-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Hands down, Bob Lilly.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

marktaras
12-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Roger Staubach

Leopards,class of 75
12-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Emmitt Smith was my favorite!

Wildcat81
12-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Man there's to many to name but if I had to name
one it would be Mr.Clutch himself Drew Pearson.

JasperDog94
12-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Tom Landry WAS the Dallas Cowboys before Jerry Jones showed up.

Old No. 7
12-16-2003, 06:57 PM
John Wayne (The Duke) :) .......or was he from Fort Worth? :D :D

GOFOR2
12-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Hollywood Henderson..........Just kidding.
Tony Dorsett

slpybear the bullfan
12-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Augustus McCrae.

Old Green
12-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Bob Lilly and Ed "Too Tall" Jones.

pakrat
12-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Everson Walls...just had to mention him so somebody could say "Who is that!"

bulldogvet85
12-17-2003, 02:15 AM
emmitt smith and tony dorsett

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Tom Landry - personel wise
Staubach - player wise

spiveyrat
12-17-2003, 07:49 AM
kaorder1999:

marktaras:
Seriously, just for fun, who's the greatest Dallas Cowboy ever?tom landryMy first thought exactly.

CatWoman
12-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Bob Lilly was the first to pop in my head, but then of course Tom Landry won't EVER be equalled as a man or coach and players like Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Too Tall, Tony Dorsett, and of course my heart throb when I was younger, Charlie Waters!!

DogDoc
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
I have to say Roger "the dodger" just because of the fact that he was a great player and person. Never did anything but be a professional in all areas of his life. I still think he could be governer if he wanted to.

Phil C
12-17-2003, 10:28 AM
I don't know if he was the greatest but let's not forget that Walt Garrison was not only a good football player for Dallas but I think he is the only one who was actually a cowboy also.

BulldogGrl64
12-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Old No. 7:
John Wayne (The Duke) :) .......or was he from Fort Worth? :D :D LOL I like your answer better than all the others! :D

CatWoman
12-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Phil C:
I don't know if he was the greatest but let's not forget that Walt Garrison was not only a good football player for Dallas but I think he is the only one who was actually a cowboy also.Yeah Buddy! Just a pinch between your cheek and gum!

Phil C
12-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Tony Dorsett is the only cowboy that has a record that hasn't been broken and never will. I don't think it has been tied yet but it can only be tied. He made a 99 yard run against the Vikings that set a record. I think Dallas recovered the ball after a Viking fumble or a fourth and one at the one and Minn. didn't make it (can anyone help?). It was actually at the one foot yard line so that the run was actually 99 2/3 yards but they can only record 99 yards. That is why the record may be tied but it will never be beaten.

vet93
12-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Phil Pozderac...anyone remember this guy...he played back in the black days when Dallas was 1-15 in the late eighties/early nineties...He was an offensive tackle and I think that he averaged one holding call every three plays!

Offense: Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson, Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman.

Defense: Bob Lilly, "Too Tall" Jones, Randy White, Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, LeeRoy Jordan, Darren Woodson.

Coach: Tom Landry

Phil C
12-17-2003, 10:57 AM
You can see I am not picking an actual player for the greatest one ever but Tony Dorsett was a the running back Dallas needed to get to the Super Bowl and they made two Super Bowls winning one against Denver. And don't forget Duane Thomas in Dallas first two super bowls. He had problems but he was the key running back that Dallas needed to get to those super bowls and win one of them. And who can forget Hollywood Henderson - the only Dallas Cowboy who ever won a Texas Lottery and used part of the money to help his drug center to help drug users over come their habit. Hollywood turned out to be a classy guy after all.

spiveyrat
12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
While not my top pick... Bill Bates didn't play with a lot of size, but did play with a lot of heart and intensity.

Old Green
12-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Randy White was a great Linebacker. Russell Maryland was real good at DE.

GWOOD
12-17-2003, 12:43 PM
spiveyrat:
While not my top pick... Bill Bates didn't play with a lot of size, but did play with a lot of heart and intensity.I love Bill Bates. He was a fierce competitor who made everyone else a better player by example and by vocal leadership. Less than average talent for the pro player but he made up for it by his intensity.

Titans
12-17-2003, 12:46 PM
John Wayne...without question!

JasperDog94
12-17-2003, 01:29 PM
GWOOD:

spiveyrat:
While not my top pick... Bill Bates didn't play with a lot of size, but did play with a lot of heart and intensity.I love Bill Bates. He was a fierce competitor who made everyone else a better player by example and by vocal leadership. Less than average talent for the pro player but he made up for it by his intensity.There was definitely no quit in Bill Bates. He played into his 40s. Mostly on special teams later in his career. Man, what a guy. Everytime something happened on special teams, you'd hear his name called.

slpybear the bullfan
12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Phil C:
I don't know if he was the greatest but let's not forget that Walt Garrison was not only a good football player for Dallas but I think he is the only one who was actually a cowboy also.Well, throw in there Jay Novacek. Real Cowboy and Dallas Cowboy... and Best TE they ever had.

slpybear the bullfan
12-17-2003, 01:46 PM
vet93:
Phil Pozderac...anyone remember this guy...he played back in the black days when Dallas was 1-15 in the late eighties/early nineties...He was an offensive tackle and I think that he averaged one holding call every three plays!Wow, hadn't thought of him for a while. I remember watching him have two false starts and a holding call on three consecutive downs.

Wildcat81
12-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Bill Bates did play hard every down.

fmsc64
12-17-2003, 03:24 PM
:) Tony Dorsett and Randy White were the two greatest Dallas Cowboys! Just wait until some of the Bulldogs start playing for them!!! wink

CatWoman
12-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Don't forget "Whistlin Ray"!!!!!

Wildcat81
12-17-2003, 03:42 PM
CatWoman:
Don't forget "Whistlin Ray"!!!!!you know he started out just being a fan.then the
Cowboys hiered him.

CatWoman
12-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Wildcat81:

CatWoman:
Don't forget "Whistlin Ray"!!!!!you know he started out just being a fan.then the
Cowboys hiered him.Really? I didn't know that, but when I was a kid, I loved to watch him and the Redskin mascot do their thing.

Phil C
12-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned Troy Aikman who led Dallas to three Super Bowl wins which established Dallas as the team for the 90s. Also what about Jimmy Johnson. He did turn that team around and won two super bowls while coaching them and with the talent that he left them with Dallas was able to win one more. Jerry should have let Jimmy coach one more year to see if he could have been the only coach to win three straight super bowls and the only team to do so. Jimmy deserved that shot.

Showtime33
12-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Issac Holt and Kenny Gant.

slpybear the bullfan
12-17-2003, 07:35 PM
EDDIE LeBARON!!!!!

sinton66
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Bob "the Bullet" Hayes.

Tackle75
12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
For me its a close tie between Tom Landry, and Emmitt Smith. Tom Landry was in my 0pinion one of the top 2 coaches to ever coach/ play the game. YOu know T0m and Lombardi were once assistants together with the New York Giants. Tom coached/played the defense, Lombardi did the offense. "Just a little tid bit, ha ha."

Emmitt however embodied all the things that in my mind simbolize the Cowboys. When everyone says you cant do it, your too small, too weak, and not capable of doing it, YOu do the unthinkable and do it anyway.

Emmitt was told that, and THe Cowboys were told that, and guess what Both are now shining beacons of what it means to go out and defy mankind and do the unthinkable, Emmitt is now the Career Rushing leader in Yards, Carries, Touchdowns, and Yards after handoff.

Tom Landry is the only coach to ever coach 20 consecutive winning season, go to 5 Super Bowl and however many Division Championship Games.

SO you decide Emmitt or Landry, both are the greatest at what they did.

Leopards,class of 75
12-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Well said Tackle 75!!!!

Grill Sergeant
12-18-2003, 01:04 AM
I agree with Phil C about Walt Garrison. Maybe not the strongest of Cowboys, but one of the strongest of leaders on the team in his day. If you look up the word garrison in the dictionary, you'll find that his name itself implies leadership and strength. Must be why he was such a warrier on the field. It also implies that I get a little too bored at times if I wander through a dictionary.

My true pick though is Bob Lilly, for more than one reason. The first is that I have a good friend that played college ball with him at TCU (don't think I'm the same age because I have a friend that played in college with him). The second reason is that I don't remember ever seeing him react to the snap without getting double-teamed. However, I guess you could say that about several past Cowboys. Too-Tall for one.

I'll stop now before my list gets longer.

Sarge

CatWoman
12-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Phil C:
I am surprised no one mentioned Troy Aikman who led Dallas to three Super Bowl wins which established Dallas as the team for the 90s. Also what about Jimmy Johnson. He did turn that team around and won two super bowls while coaching them and with the talent that he left them with Dallas was able to win one more. Jerry should have let Jimmy coach one more year to see if he could have been the only coach to win three straight super bowls and the only team to do so. Jimmy deserved that shot.Jimmy was a good coach, but he couldn't hold a candle to Tom Landry.

Old No. 7
12-18-2003, 09:57 AM
BulldogGrl64:

Old No. 7:
John Wayne (The Duke) :) .......or was he from Fort Worth? :D :D LOL I like your answer better than all the others! :D Thanks. :)

pirate4state
12-18-2003, 10:01 AM
present: Larry Allen & Darren Woodson
past: Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Charles Haley, Jay Novacek, and so on... :D

There are just TOO many!! Check out my post: for all you Cowboy fans!!

BullFrog Dad
12-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Kavika Pittman