PDA

View Full Version : High School Drug Testing....

gobbler84
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Just read where the UIL is thinking about testing students for steroid or drug use. Personaly I think it should br done, but what do u guys think?

wildstangs
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I am for it...if the players are clean, they have nothing to fear.

CHS_CG
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
I saw on the news yesterday they are gunna start random drug testing on the band students at Blinn.. lol

gobbler84
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I saw on the news yesterday they are gunna start random drug testing on the band students at Blinn.. lol

LMAO

Gobbla2001
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

Dad-Gum guys in the percussion can't resisit those roids...

On the subject at hand, though, I don't think it would be a 'bad' thing...

It sux that high school students would have to through yet another exam, however, they shouldn't have to worry about it if they haven't been juicin', right?

CHS_CG
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
LMAO

i thought it was pretty stupid and a waste of money myself..

Rainman
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Barbers Hill Independant School district has made it mandatory for all extracurricular activities and has ahd great sucess with the program. I did it for two year, I do it now that I play in college and I am all for it.

Astrosdawg07
04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm a high school player also and I hate it when the coach catches players with drugs but the "star" players don't even get in trouble. However with the testing the UIL/ISD will take care of business. I have nothing to hide, I will be the first 1 in line!

mwynn05
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't think it will happen for a while the tests cost $175 a piece according to the news, thats a lot of money when you test EVERY kid thats involved in any sport.

Black_Magic
04-21-2005, 09:51 AM
I think its a great Idea as long as you test for the other drugs too. the Pot and cocaine and other mood altering drugs are the biggest problem in schools today. I have said it before. You dont spend your only money killing the ticks and fleas in your back yard when you have a roach infestation in your home. first things first. If we have the money for it all then great. if not then test for the biggest problem we have.

CheerMom
04-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I think its a great Idea as long as you test for the other drugs too. the Pot and cocaine and other mood altering drugs are the biggest problem in schools today. I have said it before. You dont spend your only money killing the ticks and fleas in your back yard when you have a roach infestation in your home. first things first. If we have the money for it all then great. if not then test for the biggest problem we have.

I definitely agree. Steroids would probably be the least thing that our athletes would be abusing.

Macarthur
04-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I think this is a witch hunt.

Those of you that are for this, tell me what are you going to do first with non-athletic extraciricular students? Secondly, what are you going to do about the other student body? Do you even care if they are using? And lastly, who is going to pay for it?

I think this is rediculous. I certainly want our kids to be clean, but when you are dealing with minors in a public school setting, you have tons of variables that make this unfair and imbalanced.

Old Cardinal
04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Steriods are not the biggest problem. Test for the addictive stuff. Kids are ruining their lives, I see the results when I do prison ministry. Test everyone teachers, administration, all students--let's clean this drug cancer up.
Now the bombshell--I think every student that participates in any kind of extra-cri. activities ought to have to score above a certain score on TAKS test-- statewide. If you fail these statewide test them you ought to be in studies only and not sports etc:
I see schools that toe the mark on academics and don't play those that fail. However, there are schools that have never stopped a halfway decent football player from suiting up on game night from seventh grade on up. I have seen kids released from county jail to play on Friday night that also could not start to get an acceptable score on the TAKS or any other test. Make the testing uniform and statewide and let the chips fall where they may! Drugs have to be eliminated in the public schools and learning has to rise to the top position.

CheerMom
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Steriods are not the biggest problem. Test for the addictive stuff. Kids are ruining their lives, I see the results when I do prison ministry. Test everyone teachers, administration, all students--let's clean this drug cancer up.
Now the bombshell--I think every student that participates in any kind of extra-cri. activities ought to have to score above a certain score on TAKS test-- statewide. If you fail these statewide test them you ought to be in studies only and not sports etc:
I see schools that toe the mark on academics and don't play those that fail. However, there are schools that have never stopped a halfway decent football player from suiting up on game night from seventh grade on up. I have seen kids released from county jail to play on Friday night that also could not start to get an acceptable score on the TAKS or any other test. Make the testing uniform and statewide and let the chips fall where they may! Drugs have to be eliminated in the public schools and learning has to rise to the top position.

I agree that everyone should be tested. Our school for one doesn't let anyone who fails, play. I don't care who it is. I give them credit for that.

BCsportfan
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Our school test students randomly .... but not many "questionable" atheletes seem to be tested. Before my son graduated he was tested 4 times in one year and at least twice each year before, He was one they new would pass. He finally questioned how random the selection was, and he wasn't tested again. Could be just coincidence ? I do think they should be testing, but think the teachers, principals, bus drivers etc. should be randomly tested too.

falcons79
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Huffman's started drug testing this year, I for one think it's a good idea. They test for drug, tobacco, steroids and alcohol anything that is illegal to have at school. They also don't just test athletes, they test anybody in an extracurricular activity or if they drive to school and park on campus.

Green Ranger
04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
I just came from a meeting where this was the main topic, this is going to happen in the near future for UIL. Will this go past athletics, possibly. Who will it be directed at (football or other sports), initially what I have heard is play-off teams. This is being worked on and questions are being asked. I believe this is a problem and needs to be taken care of. How to go about doing this, I don't know but time will tell as this looks like it will become reality for anybody who participates in UIL.

scrub c
04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
for the record - im all for it, testing that is.

HOWEVER, it does bother me that extra-curricular participants are the target. What about all the thugs and dopeheads at your school??? What is in it for them?
I mean, think of how nice your school would be if all the students were tested and the one who got caught had to go to an alternative campus. Think about the learning environment, the halls, the courtyard, cafeteria, etc... how nice would your school be if all the dopeheads were gone?
That is where the focus should be OMO.

coiled2strike
04-21-2005, 02:13 PM
what district is cuero in...

mwynn05
04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I see schools that toe the mark on academics and don't play those that fail. However, there are schools that have never stopped a halfway decent football player from suiting up on game night from seventh grade on up. I have seen kids released from county jail to play on Friday night that also could not start to get an acceptable score on the TAKS or any other test. Make the testing uniform and statewide and let the chips fall where they may! Drugs have to be eliminated in the public schools and learning has to rise to the top position. I agree the TAKS test is a joke if you can't pass it you shouldn't be allowed to be involved in extracarricular activities. Because, if you cant pass the TAKS i don't understand how you can pass your regular classes. Here, the courses are way more difficult than the TAKS, I thought the hardest thing abouit the test was it was too easy, I couldnt remember how to do some of the stuff just because what I was used to doing was so much more advanced and I would over analyze.

44INAROW
04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
what district is cuero in...

26 3A