PDA

View Full Version : The $1000 yawn

spiveyrat
04-20-2005, 11:35 AM
This is outrageous! I think a warning would have sufficed. (http://www.local6.com/news/4396722/detail.html)

Phil C
04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
He should have just apologized to the judge and not talked about being bored. Bad judgement. Pay the $100.

spiveyrat
04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
He should have just apologized to the judge and not talked about being bored. Bad judgement. Pay the $100.

I agree that the man may have used some bad judgement, but... I think the judge used worse judgement. He of all people should know how unpleasant it is to sit there quietly doing nothing for hours/days just to see if you're on a jury. He could have warned the man. After a warning if the man hadn't complied, then I am of the opinion that the judge sould have found him in contempt of court. But these potential jurors are sitting around with nothing to do while the attorneys are interviewing them one at a time. They make many sacrifices to be present and serve society. I think jurors deserve a little more latitude than what he got. Of course, I wasn't there, and maybe this guy was a total arse. But, I'm basing my opinion on what we both read.

I think it's yet another example of an out-of-control judge.

:nerd: ;)

Phil C
04-20-2005, 04:03 PM
You got a point there spi. Folks do sacrifice time from work and other things to be there and it is hard sometimes to have to sit there all day and come back.

pirate4state
04-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I agree that the man may have used some bad judgement, but... I think the judge used worse judgement. He of all people should know how unpleasant it is to sit there quietly doing nothing for hours/days just to see if you're on a jury. He could have warned the man. After a warning if the man hadn't complied, then I am of the opinion that the judge sould have found him in contempt of court. But these potential jurors are sitting around with nothing to do while the attorneys are interviewing them one at a time. They make many sacrifices to be present and serve society. I think jurors deserve a little more latitude than what he got. Of course, I wasn't there, and maybe this guy was a total arse. But, I'm basing my opinion on what we both read.

I think it's yet another example of an out-of-control judge.

:nerd: ;) ITA! ( I totally agree ) :D