PDA

View Full Version : Top high school player applies for NBA draft

jason
04-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Yahoo Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-green-nba&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, Associated Press Writer
April 19, 2005

HOUSTON (AP) -- Top-rated high school shooting guard Gerald Green said Tuesday he has applied for early entry into the NBA draft.

The 19-year-old Green, a 6-foot-8 senior at Houston's Gulf Shores Academy, hasn't hired an agent so can withdraw from the draft before June 21 and retain his college eligibility. He signed with Oklahoma State in November.

``My decision is based on what was best for me and my future,'' said Green, who is ranked the nation's top shooting guard by recruiting Web site Rivals.com. ``I'm weighing all of my options, but I have still have plenty of time.''

His father, Gerald Green Sr., said they are working with an adviser to determine his draft position.

``If he's a lottery pick, it's pretty much safe to say he'll be NBA-bound,'' his father said. ``If not, he'll be OSU-bound.''

Green's draft stock shot up and his commitment to the Cowboys began to waver after he scored 24 points and won the slam-dunk contest at the McDonald's High School All-American game March 30.

Before that game, Green said he hadn't seriously considered making the jump to the NBA. But afterward, many speculated that Green would be this year's only high school lottery pick.

He averaged 33 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists this season. He has great 3-point shooting range and leaping ability, and averages 60 percent from beyond the arc.

Green has drawn comparisons to Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant, but analysts say the 200-pound player needs to get bigger and stronger to succeed in the NBA.

pirate44
04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
He averaged 33 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists this season and yet his stock only goes up after winning a dunk contest??:rolleyes:

kepdawg
04-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Is there a reason you singled out winning the dunk contest and did not mention scoring 24 in the game?

pirate44
04-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Is there a reason you singled out winning the dunk contest and did not mention scoring 24 in the game?
yes there is. because they mentioned it. i was using a sarcastic tone. why did the article even mention it. why would someones stock go up from winning a dunk contest? beats me.

kepdawg
04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Why mention it? Because he won a dunk contest between the alleged best high school players in the nation! Why would his stock go up because of that? I could say beause it was a wonderful demonstration of his atheltic ability. I'd say it's definitely not just because of that, but flashy players do sell tickets in the league.

pirate44
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Why mention it? Because he won a dunk contest between the alleged best high school players in the nation! Why would his stock go up because of that? I could say beause it was a wonderful demonstration of his atheltic ability. I'd say it's definitely not just because of that, but flashy players do sell tickets in the league.
my point was that his season numbers are really great and yet they mentioned the dunk contest helped his stock go up. i dont know of any team who would consider that in a draft especially for a shooting guard. i think maybe it was the performance in the game that did it and had nothing to do with the contest. but then ive been wrong before.

AggieJohn
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
if he's going to OSU, i wonder what law eddie sutton is covering up....

Bandera YaYa
04-19-2005, 06:10 PM
He should get his education.....he's making a dumb mistake in my humble opinion! :(

TMer25
04-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
He should get his education.....he's making a dumb mistake in my humble opinion! :(

I like the way you think.

kepdawg
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM

I would gladly sacrifice my formal education for the $3-5 million he will make over his first three years. I think I could probably even afford an education with that kind of money.

Bandera YaYa
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I would gladly sacrifice my formal education for the $3-5 million he will make over his first three years. I think I could probably even afford an education with that kind of money. Well, money isn't everything....and he is not mature enough to handle the lifestyle he will be living.or the pressures out there....oh I'm sure the money is the motive....still think it's dumb....

TheDOCTORdre
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
and he is not mature enough to handle the lifestyle he will be living.or the pressures out there
Lebron has handled the pressure quite nicely, but still I agree he should go to college, unless there is some extreme financial hardship his family is going through

Gobbler Fan
04-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Education is nice but EDUCATION is there for the taking if he decides to go that direction during the offseason or after Basketball .I dont really see what all the hoopla is about why should this kid risk a career ending injury in College and never get this chance again when he can play a game in which he excell's at ...........heres a few sports that offer the opportunity to play professionally after High School -Hockey,Tennis,Baseball,Basketball.........and im sure Im leaving a few off but these come to mind .

Bandera YaYa
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, like I stated, this is just my opinion...I am never an advocate of growing up too soon...and the experiences you have in college are so valuable , but I wish him luck on whatever path his life goes......