PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: RICE CONSOL COACHES BY WHARTON POLICE

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 02:05 AM
The Wharton Police Department is searching for a white sububan with "Rice ISD" after an officer was questioning the occupants of the van about the numerous beer cans around the van and the driver drove off with the officer holding on to the side of the vehicle. The officer supposidely identified the driver as Russell Roark. I heard the plate number and the description go out on the poice radio, but I have not yet heard of the disposition of the incident. The description went out for a white suburban with four occupants, and I saw 3 Police units heading south towards Boling. I do not think they were found, but the police officer ID'd the driver. I'm not a police, but it certainly sounds like some raiders are in deep dookie. I'll find out more tomorrow, and I don't want to accuse people unjustly, but this is what I heard. I'll update tomorrow as info becomes available. What is indesputible is that if coaches were scouting and were questioned by the Police and they were stupid enough to run off they are setting an example for all students atheletes and they should be punished.

SintonFan
10-04-2003, 02:16 AM
RiverRatDad:
.You need to delete this post. Your starting a horrible rumor! THIS IS WHAT YOU HEARD(even if on a scanner)!!!
LEAVE IT AT THAT!
Wait for it to come out in the paper before you claim this rumor...

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 02:26 AM
Thid isn't what I "heard". I HEARD the call on the scanner, I saw the police cars in chase of the vehicle, and I talked to the patrolmen at the stadium. I would not post something like this without a basis in fact.

SintonFan
10-04-2003, 02:29 AM
That's understandable, but if noone has been arrested there is technically no crime. You see? It's just not right to be saying this.
I can be wrong but think about it.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 02:30 AM
If it is true, I'm shocked... But I cannot say you're lying unless it never comes out in the news...

I have nothing but respect for the Roarks, but if you're right that'll change and it's real sad for the kids at RC...

I will say that there was a Rice scout at the Cuero/Edna game scouting Edna, real nice guy, gave us congrats, but it wasn't a Roark, so atleast we know they weren't in Edna...

Hope it's NOT true...

SintonFan
10-04-2003, 02:31 AM
RiverRatDad, I edited my first response before your reply to me. I added the scanners part before I could read your response.

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 02:42 AM
I'm sorry SintonFan, but I must disagree. Arrests will be made, that is a fact. This is a distasteful subject, but I'm just telling you what has happened. I don't know the coaches, but I do know the police involved and know how serious the situation really is. You can see that I don't post very often. I try to go by the rule that if you don't have anything good to say then say nothing at all, but this was so shocking I thought I would post it. I wish the situation was different, but these are the facts as I know them now.

SintonFan
10-04-2003, 02:48 AM
jeez, lets hope for the best...
this would be a shock to say the least

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 03:27 AM
SintonFan, check your pm.

the tigers are back
10-04-2003, 06:40 AM
I see on 3adownlow there are people that just thrive on criminating someone's character.I just can't stand for anyone to try to give someone a bad name,and what's so killing about it some of us are quick to to put dirt on someone.I asked a question how many posts have you posted on 3adownlow when you have "SINNED OR DONE WRONG".I hope you get my drift,and i'm not trying to put you down;but you think about it would you want someone to web your wrongness on the internet.I'm just saying we need to mind our on business and guit being quick to judge other peoples lifes on their mistakes.I also will say in my closing and it goes like this sweep around your on back door before you try to sweep around someone else.He that has never done anything wrong let him cast the first stone.Just like the bellville brahmas two linemens was in some trouble i know the two players and i will never dig in their personal business.I say it once and i say it again you put people down and before you know it and someone on your team is sitting out for one game.What so ever a man soe he will reap it,and that's a fact jack. :mad: :D wink

lepfan
10-04-2003, 08:24 AM
I agree, it is a bit distastful to mention specific names when talking of things that have gone wrong. We all make bad decisions at some time or another. But I think the rules of the board specifically stated that we should not mention people by name. At this point it could be called defimation of character (spelling?)

3afan
10-04-2003, 08:45 AM
here'a an idea ........

lets talk about the kids!
the games!
the great plays!
how 'bout some trash talkin'!

let the police handle this stuff .................

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

lepfan
10-04-2003, 09:53 AM
3afan:
here'a an idea ........

the games!
the great plays!

let the police handle this stuff .................I agree...no gossip...

lepfan
10-04-2003, 10:22 AM
lepfan:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3afan:
[qb]here'a an idea ........

the games!
the great plays!

let the police handle this stuff .................I agree...

Raiders4state
10-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone! So whats going on in the world? Oh it doesnt matter because this website is for people to talk about how one team is going to kill another or if this game is the best ever and to talk about the great kids that are playing the great game of football. So lets stick to the football issue and talk about the Raiders getting ready for Palacios. Just one more statement What is a coach? A coach is a PERSON, correct, ok if a PERSON wants to be a PERSON then whats wrong with it? Nothing so once again lets talk about FOOTBALL.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 10:32 AM
So what are you saying, Raiders4State, about a Coach being a 'Person'... He also has a buncha of 14-18 year-olds looking up... I don't wanna look up to the 'Bandit'...

I still hope it didn't happen, really do...

But are you acknowledging that it is true?

Raiders4state
10-04-2003, 10:38 AM
NO im not saying it happend because i dont know anything about it, I'm just saying if it did happen then everyone needs to forget about it and stop posting stuff about it.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Like I've said and like everyone has said that I've talked to about it, WE HOPE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN...

But if it did, we shouldn't just 'forget' about it...

I don't know how you guys do it out in Eagle Lake and Altair, but that's not accepted in the real world...

And it'll be hard to forget about it because I'm sure he'd lose his job...

But let's hope it didn't...

BrahmaMom
10-04-2003, 11:20 AM
What a sad situation, if true. Coaches are people, and people make mistakes. And usually we people pay for our mistakes. Rice Cons. has a great team and this could really be bad for the team and the town. My prayers go out to everyone remotely involved.

Da Mules
10-04-2003, 12:28 PM
This issue is very much related to the topic of football. One of the problems associated with football at any level is the tendency of the public to put ANYBODY associated with "The Game" on a pedestal...to the point of not wanting to hold them accountable for their actions on & off the field just exactly like everybody else in the real world. That belief system does no good at all for the people who (seemingly) benefit from it.
Let me give you a very real example from here (no names, doesn't matter:) In the midst of one of Muleshoe's recent successful seasons, a Muleshoe football player was directly involved in a thuggish incident with assault on another student with a baseball bat. Every string possible was pulled by individuals who shall remain nameless to keep charges from being filed, which presumably would have resulted in that very capable player being dismissed from the team. A few years later after graduating, that same player is involved in a much more serious altercation; assault with a tire iron, broken arms, etc..... do you think he might have felt he was above the law based on his ealier experiences? Do you think The Game benefitted this young man, and helped prepare him for a responsible role in the community? There is a side of The Game that isn't so pretty, if you ask me....and I don't know if Mr. Roark and others actually are guilty of the (very real) crime of driving under the influence and fleeing pursuit. Judgement should come via our legal system. But if they are guilty, they have abused every school & common sense policy imaginable...they have abused their position as leaders of young men.
and I for one don't condone it. Nor do I condemn our original poster for informing the public about it on the 3A downlow.

sinton66
10-04-2003, 01:15 PM
I don't disagree with the notion that the public has a right to know. However I also think it could have waited until all the facts were known. Too many people in this country are taking to heart what they "hear". Organizations like the "National Enquirer" have made a ton of money counting on people's gullibility. Is it possible the officer in question made a mistaken identification? Are any one of a dozen other things possible? If you weren't there you really should wait until more details are known before you comment. Just my opinion.

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Rice Head Coach / AD Russell Roark turned himself in to the Colorado County Sheriff's Department. He has been charged with two felonies: assault and fleeing the scene. He is currently free on bail.

Green Ranger
10-04-2003, 03:51 PM
If this is true, in my opinion very sad. I watched a 4a game last night and this post in general reminds my of that kind of attitude. Nothing against 4a, however it is not 3a. In 3a we might talk trash but we know the story is told on the field. Yes there is cussing, but not nearly the amount I heard at the 4a level. The 4a players were so worried about making the big hit that often times they didnt wrap up and the opposing player would make a few extra yards if not alot. My opinion is this, as a 3a site, lets hope everybody in this manner will turn out for the better. 3a players help the other team up after they tackle them. Lets help Rice up in this situation and let this post go. We are human and will make mistakes, i just hope people can learn from this situation. Unlike the winning team last night, lets not hold up a sign that said "Good Night" after the win. Rice coaches and players and anybody involved, you are all in my prayers I am hope this gets worked out the best way possible for everyone.

the tigers are back
10-04-2003, 06:48 PM
I heard that rice head coach as turned himself in to the col. county police department.I can almost betcha that he will get off on the felony charge and plead on the misdermeanor charge.I will see it very hard to get that felony charge to stick on roark.I want say this to all the spectators on 3adownlow...that we all have made some mistakes in our lives and no i'm not agreeing with coach roark wrongness.I'm only saying this...that it's always someone ready to look down on somebody,but to summ it all up let's leave this matter with the col. county precint. :mad: :rolleyes:

the tigers are back
10-04-2003, 06:49 PM
I heard that rice head coach has turned himself in to the col. county police department.I can almost betcha that he will get off on the felony charge and plead on the misdermeanor charge.I will see it very hard to get that felony charge to stick on roark.I will say this to all the spectators on 3adownlow...that we all have made some mistakes in our lives and no i'm not agreeing with coach roark wrongness.I'm only saying this...that it's always someone ready to look down on somebody,but to summ it all up let's leave this matter with the col. county precint. :mad: :rolleyes:

sinton66
10-04-2003, 06:58 PM
I agree, t.a.b. We need to remember that a charge is only a charge, and people in this country are innocent until proven guilty. Let the legal system handle it.

RiverRatDad
10-04-2003, 08:04 PM
The charges will be filed in Wharton County by the Wharton County DA. You are probably correct in that the charges will be plea bargained down, but the DA here doesn't back off much when a police officer is injured. I would bet that even though there are two felony charges, there will be only probation and no jail time.

EndzoneJR43
10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
I guess all the facts aren't in yet, it is an unfortunate situation.
Would have it been less worse if he had been in his personal vehicle instead of a Rice ISD vehicle? I guess not since A DWI is a DWI, no matter how you look at it.
He shouldn't have fled, that was the bad thing.
well, If he is a respected and well thought of coach, I'n sure the students and community will rally behind him.

BUT the ???? is what kind of signal does this send to the players and students who look up to these coaches as mentors and role models?

I wish the best of luck to Rice ISD in this troubling time, may they persevere, get through this and rise above it. I think they should be allowed to handle this privately with any prejudgement.

Gilmer Buckeye
10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
sinton66:
People in this country are innocent until proven guilty. Let the legal system handle it.Well, at least until football coaches are defined as 'terrorists' by Homeland Security. Then it's off to 'Gitmo' with this guy. He'd already be hooded and shackled inside the cargo plane on the way down there by now.

Don't take for granted that our legal system is going to operate as we were taught in civics class for too much longer in this country. The trend is toward a '1984'-style police state.

That said, I do tend to agree that, irrespective of the facts of this case which I am not prejudging since I wasn't there, too many coaches and players in small-town Texas think they've achieved 'demigod' status, particularly if they start winning on a regular basis.

This hasn't happened yet in Gilmer, since we haven't won a playoff game since 1991. :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Gilmer, is your real name Alex Jones?

Gilmer Buckeye
10-04-2003, 08:52 PM
No, obviously I actually like sports, especially football, or I wouldn't be posting on a site like this. Alex thinks it's a 'bread and circuses' diversion to keep the masses from thinking about their enslavement.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Oh, okay...

Just wondering cuz you shared some of his views...

sinton66
10-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, Mr. Gilmer Buckeye, I just think we don't need to try the man on 3ADownlow. Let's just allow the justice system do it's job. When that's done with, I'm sure Rice Consolidated ISD will do their job too.

EndzoneJR43
10-04-2003, 09:13 PM
correction on my last post:
I meant to say "they should be allowed to handle this privately 'WITHOUT' any prejudgement".
sorry about that.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Did this happen at the Navasota, Wharton game, at about halftime?

Gilmer Buckeye
10-04-2003, 11:19 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, sinton66.

I thought it was rather questionable to mention the coach's name already.

I am asked every now and then where Gilmer is. So now I will return the favor. Where exactly is Rice Consolidated? And what 'consolidatons' of which districts took place?

sinton66
10-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Rice is a consolidation of the schools in the towns of Eagle Lake and Altair. Thery're on old Hwy 90 west of Houston about 70 miles.(North of Wharton).

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Little Fact of the Day...

Called it 'Rice' because of the rice-drying facilities there in the mid 80s... Altair's population is a whoppin' 30 folks...

Bandera YaYa
10-05-2003, 12:55 AM
I am sitting here reading all this and I am somewhat shocked at what I am reading....it SOUNDS like the majority believes that what this "coach" did was bad mistake...that he's only human and well, let's just forget about it....like it's a sacrelige (sp) to even think wrongly of this man. Why? Because he's a coach?
I truly hope ya'll don't think it's ALLOWABLE because he's a coach.....please tell me he should be held to higher standards because he is in charge of our young kids....if you don't think so, then you had better start praying for our kids....because without such leadership on and off the fields, what examples will they follow?
In my book, if he did it, he's gone.....yes, he made a huge mistake, his last one as an employee of the school district. I'm curious...why did he flee the scene if he wasn't doing anything he thought he'd get in trouble for???

I am certainly not a saint and my post is not to smear his name or reputation....looks like he did that himself....my prayers go out to his team, the fans and his family..all of which he let down ...and for what? maybe a few beers? I am not judging a citizen, but an employee of a school district....there's a difference here.
I am not saying he is a horrible man, I'm sure he is not. He apparently had the sense to turn himself in.....the sense that apprently left him the night before...

And my prayers go out to the officer that was reportedly injured ...let's not forget the victim here guys....lest you be so eager to "rally" behind the man that turned himself in for the crime he's accused of......

I say all this regardless of if he did indeed do what they say he did...it could be hyperthetical (sp) for all I care...I was just shocked to hear so many of you trying to defend or rationalize the situation....so if he's innocent, then great.

But if not, our school has a "zero tolerance" policy for alcohol, drugs and fighting..I wonder if Rise ISD has the same.....guess we'll see....

Sorry, I just feel real strongly about this kind of stupid behavior by those paid to teach our children.... :mad:

<small>[ October 05, 2003, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

sinton66
10-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Ya Ya, it's not up to us to forgive or crucify the man on this board. The justice system has it firmly in their realm of control. Most school districts have adopted the zero tolerance policy. I try real hard not to pre-judge anybody under these types of circumstances. If he's convicted of wrong doing, I'm sure he will be gone. But lets allow the proper authorities handle it.

Bandera YaYa
10-05-2003, 01:20 AM
OK, I was just telling my thoughts, like all the rest of you were....I agree, I hope it will be handled in the correct manner....I above all want the truth to be heard.

Footballfan25
10-05-2003, 11:57 AM
crazy!

whtfbplaya
10-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Yes, the incident happened around halftime of the wharton navasota game. There has been alot of excitement at wharton home games this year so far(game 1:student brought a loaded handgun to the game game 2:this rice incident, droped a cheerleader on her head taken to hospital, and a navasota player was injured stopping play for 25 min hope he is ok). by the way the score was 29-6 navasota. wharton underthrew one td pass and dropped about 8 other passes. wharton also had an int and then fumbled and it was returned for a td.