PDA

View Full Version : More about the Gainesville vs. Scotts Valley, Cali matchup...

KTJ
04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
GHS to open '05 season with Cali opponent

Leopards to host out-of-state team in football opener

By DARIN ALLRED

Register Sports Editor

In 2004, the Gainesville Leopards hosted a team from San Antonio in their season opening football game. This fall, Gainesville's first opponent will come from even further away.

The Leopards will start the 2005 season against Scotts Valley, Calif., on Aug. 26 at Leeper Stadium.

The game will be the seventh meeting ever between high school teams from Texas and California in football.

Scotts Valley is about 50 miles south of San Francisco, just north of Santa Cruz. It has an enrollment of just over 700, the equivalent of a Class 3A school in Texas. Gainesville has an enrollment of 810 and is in 3A.

The Falcons were 7-3 last year and have traveled to play games in Hawaii and Nevada previously. Gainesville went 8-4 last season, but won the Class 3A Division I state championship just two years ago.

The game came about when GHS head coach Jeff Cordell put a notice on a coaches website stating that the Leopards needed a season-opening game. Scotts Valley coach Louie Walters contacted Cordell and a contract was signed shortly after that.

"Our kids are pumped up," Cordell said about playing the Falcons. "They will be as tough as any team on our schedule. We're excited about having a team come in and see what Texas football is all about."

According to Cordell, the two schools will split the gate, but Scotts Valley will cover all of their travel expenses. The Leopards will host a dinner for their visitors on the Thursday before the game. Cordell hopes to get the local Chamber of Commerce involved and maybe even get a corporate sponsor for the game.

The Falcons will fly in on Wednesday and practice in Gainesville on Wednesday and Thursday. They will return to California on Saturday.

The Leopards opened the 2004 season against Antonian Prep, a private school in San Antonio. Gainesville won that game 60-15 at Leeper Stadium, but the two schools decided not to play again this season.

Bandera YaYa
04-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Man, that must be a RICH school district, to get to travel to Hawaii for a pre-season football game!!!!! I was so excited to travel to Waco for our State game in '02!! :eek: :eek: :D

HighSchool Fan
04-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Man, that must be a RICH school district, to get to travel to Hawaii for a pre-season football game!!!!! I was so excited to travel to Waco for our State game in '02!! :eek: :eek: :D

BYY, i thought the same thing about them being a RICH school. however, i think we're wrong with that assumption. here is a quote from Dave Campbells website,

'Gainesville has agreed to split the gate receipts with Scotts Valley, which has assured its financially-strapped school district that its travel expenses would be supported by its booster club. '