PDA

View Full Version : Aggie season opener

panther power
04-18-2005, 05:43 PM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- The Texas A&M football team’s 2005 season opener at Clemson on Sept. 3 has been selected for a national television broadcast by ABC Sports and will kick off at 7 p.m. (central) at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C., the network notified the school Friday.

It will mark the second straight season for the Aggies to open the season on national television. In 2004, A&M opened the season against Utah in Salt Lake City in a game televised by ESPN.

“This is going to be a great chance to showcase our program to the nation,” A&M coach Dennis Franchione said. “Playing at Clemson will be a challenge for our team, but one that we are looking forward to. We just completed what I think was a successful spring and I’m looking forward to the first day of fall camp.”

Last season, 10 of the Aggies’ 12 games were televised. The Aggies had seven games televised nationally via ABC, ESPN, TBS, FOX, and Fox Sports Net., in addition to two regionally televised games by ABC and a contest that was offered via pay-per-view.

“Our football program experienced a tremendous amount of success that resulted in an invitation to the SBC Cotton Bowl last season,” A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne said, “and having the opportunity to play in a marquee game on national television to start this season is a great opportunity for us. We’re excited that ABC has selected the game for a national broadcast.”

The Aggies posted a 7-5 record last season and participated in the SBC Cotton Bowl on New Year’s Day in Dallas. A&M returns perhaps the nation’s top dual-threat quarterback Reggie McNeal who was the only player in Div. I-A to average more than 230 yards passing and 50 yards rushing per game last season.

injuredinmelee
04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Good thing they have two weeks after to prepare for SMU and Texas State

PhiI C
04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Good thing they have two weeks after to prepare for SMU and Texas State

We have to remember that SMU has had powerful teams in the past. The great Doak Walker of the 40s and Erick Dickerson of the 80s come to mind. In fact at one time the cotton bowl was known as the house that Doak Built.

And Texas State has had some great teams in the past and has won several division 2 national championships.

panther power
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes Phil, I can appreciate when a educated poster posts on my thread. Nothing better then an educated, mature mind.

sahen
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
We have to remember that SMU has had powerful teams in the past. The great Doak Walker of the 40s and Erick Dickerson of the 80s come to mind. In fact at one time the cotton bowl was known as the house that Doak Built.

They also were the biggest cheats of all time in NCAA D1 football and got the death penalty after those great 80s teams....which is y they suck now....