PDA

View Full Version : A Thread for advice.....help "moms" or others

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Seriously if i hear a sheep joke....then your just being pointless to this thread

i think i'm transfering

my girlfriend, soon to be fiance, is graduating this year, and i just found out that with flat rate tuition passing that a&m will milk out another 5 thousand plus out of me because of it...

so i'm considering tranfering to her neck of the woods corpus...

i would be here in A&M for 2 years with out her, which would suck completely, she would most likely be miserable with out me there with(we are one of those couples)

at A&M i can't do summer school for any of my major classes, the camp that we work at during the summer doesn't pay enough for me to ever think of getting a ring from it...

so basicaly the logistics is that her parents have an extra room in their house that i could live in for a while till i find a good roommate (or get married) and then move out...i wouldn't have to pay rent at the house, i would have to pay minumum on groceries...

we can get involved as a couple at a church there, that's where she's from and she's happy there...

i would hate to leave aggieland...but i would hate to leave her more...

thoughts?

(seriously no jokes)

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
John,

I understand the dilemma you are in, but I am probably not the best one to give advice. I didn't go to college, never wanted to go to college, and have never regretted it.

To me, 2 years is a long time to be away from the person you hope to make your wife one day. There are schools all over the State, but there is only that "one" girl for you.

I know what my decision would be, but it is ultimately up to you.

4 years at the school you love VS. a lifetime with the girl you love.....it's a no-brainer to me!!

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:18 AM
i mean i know an aggie degree has so clamour, but not from the college of education

HighSchool Fan
04-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Seriously if i hear a sheep joke....then your just being pointless to this thread

isn't that what most of your post are...pointless.

onfirebball05mustang
04-18-2005, 09:26 AM
i may not be a mom, but...

I agree with RM, John! If she is the one, God will open up the opportunity for you to do what needs to happen for His will to be complete. If it were me--definite no branier--CC here I come! Then again, be sure that this is what God wants for you--not just what you or she wants.

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
isn't that what most of your post are...pointless.

honestly do you have something against me, my high school, my college, or just the fact that i'm male.....get off me, grow up, and make educated posts

HighSchool Fan
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
honestly do you have something against me, my high school, my college, or just the fact that i'm male.....get off me, grow up, and make educated posts

you do the same and everyone will think better of you.

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey you two!! This is really getting tiresome!

Like my momma said, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"!!

onfirebball05mustang
04-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Like my momma said, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"!!

thanks mom for restating that one!!!!

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:45 AM
yes thanks, i really didn't want to get into it with someone today

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Bandera YaYa
04-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I have never been an advocate of following your g/f-b/f to a school......because what if it doesn't work out....I had one daughter that did that and it was a disaster for her and me....so I have biased opinions on this....and yes she thought he was "the one"....I would like to see the education completed before any commitments to someone is realized. But I am also a romantic and I can understand the long distance thing would suck....so you just gotta do what's good for you and hope for the best....good luck on making the decision.

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I have never been an advocate of following your g/f-b/f to a school......because what if it doesn't work out....I had one daughter that did that and it was a disaster for her and me....so I have biased opinions on this....and yes she thought he was "the one"....I would like to see the education completed before any commitments to someone is realized. But I am also a romantic and I can understand the long distance thing would suck....so you just gotta do what's good for you and hope for the best....good luck on making the decision.

5 hours is a long time, also if i stay here there is so much i want to be involved in and i would never see her.....at least i can get involved with her in something there in CC

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
5 hours is a long time, also if i stay here there is so much i want to be involved in and i would never see her.....at least i can get involved with her in something there in CC

Okay...now it seems that following her is what YOU are wanting to do and you are wanting us to give you all the reasons why you shouldn't!!

spiveyrat
04-18-2005, 10:46 AM
I agree with YaYa (did I say that? :eek: :D). I don't know you, but you may not know the difference in love and infatuation yet. That being so, you never know what will happen.

BTW, my wife and I lived apart for the first nine months we were married while she finished school. We had a "weekend marriage" during that time. But she did finish... I wasn't going to stand in the way of that.

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 11:37 AM

I thought it was "if you cant say something nice, come sit by me :D " JK RM..

John.. This is a hard choice.. myself I wouldnt follow anybody to a school even if i was dead serious he was the one... If they really are the one then yall will know how to make a schedule around both of you're lives.. One of my friends has told me that if you think they are the one and you spend that much time apart and come back together and still feel the same way.. then they are the one. Her boyfriend was in Germany for 2 years and they are gettin married on the 21st of May.

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
See....I told you I wasn't the best person to offer advice!

I like what everyone else said better!

:p

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 11:43 AM
RM I like your advice you gave me about college! I believe I am alot like you... minus the fact ur not 38 weeks prego... and God willing (yes im tryin to jinx you) you wont be.

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
RM I like your advice you gave me about college! I believe I am alot like you... minus the fact ur not 38 weeks prego... and God willing (yes im tryin to jinx you) you wont be.

You better just shut your mouth NOW!!!!

If that happened...something has gone drastically DRASTICALLY wrong!

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Ya know i love you Kellye!!!:inlove: just pokin a lil fun at ya:D

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Ya know i love you Kellye!!!:inlove: just pokin a lil fun at ya:D

Yeah well...you just keep that prego talk to yourself....I don't want any part of it ........ZERO, NADA, ZILCH!!!!!

I will be content to be the "3Adownlow Nana"!!:D

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah well...you just keep that prego talk to yourself....I don't want any part of it ........ZERO, NADA, ZILCH!!!!!

I will be content to be the "3Adownlow Nana"!!:D

thats fine.. just make her come out today.. i have a doctors appointment..... i finally found a way i could sleep comfy! still tossed and turned alot but when i was sleeping it was NICE lol..

btw why isnt NANA on AIM?? you cant be THAT busy at work hehehe

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
thats fine.. just make her come out today.. i have a doctors appointment..... i finally found a way i could sleep comfy! still tossed and turned alot but when i was sleeping it was NICE lol..

btw why isnt NANA on AIM?? you cant be THAT busy at work hehehe

LOL!! I always forget to sign on up here. At home, I am on AOL so I am automatically signed on to AIM through AOL.

I should sign on....out of the 6 people that work here...I am the ONLY one here today. I haven't accomplished a darn thing this morning!!

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
LOL!! I always forget to sign on up here. At home, I am on AOL so I am automatically signed on to AIM through AOL.

I should sign on....out of the 6 people that work here...I am the ONLY one here today. I haven't accomplished a darn thing this morning!!

Seems like you are ALWAYS the only one there.. wheres ur darn boss at? nevermind.. i probably dont wanna know

pirate44
04-18-2005, 12:02 PM

hehe..i was able to conduct an important phone conference while surfing the downlow this morning. the guys on the other end of the call were probably thinking "with all that typing, this guy has got to know what he's talking about. hehe, i fooled them.

TheDOCTORdre
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
AJ heres what I can offer you, the decision is going to come down to what you choose, in reality no one can post anything on here that will change what your heart really desires, and if someone can change what your heart desires then you need to do some serious soul searching. I know you believe in God, and I simply leave you this advice, look at your life and prioritize it, and ask God to help you make the choice that he would want you to make. Just my 3 cents(it would be 2 but everyone throws in their 2 cents and I value my opinion a little more highly:D )

pirate44
04-18-2005, 12:15 PM
your heart is what should guide you, but in my opinion, stay outa south texas...uuhh..i mean, do what your heart tells you, but please stay up there. please.

CheerMom
04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I know that being away from your fiancee will be hard, but I think that you should finish with your education at the school that you love so much. If not, you might come to regret it, and blame her in the long run. If your relationship is meant to be, then it will survive time away from each other. It makes the time together that much more special.

big daddy russ
04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
AJ, I've only met you once but I can tell you that your girl is one to hang onto. You two seem like a great couple, but I think Dre's had the best advice so far. Some people value love more than careers, some people value a career over love.

Just think about where you're at. If you can afford an education at A&M and stand being away from your girlfriend for a little while, an Aggie diploma will give you a huge jumpstart in life. Especially if you're thinking of working outside of Texas. But A&M-Corpus is a great school and Corpus is a great city. There's so much to do down there and if you can't stand being away from your girl then maybe that's where you need to be.

Rabbit'93
04-18-2005, 04:00 PM
AJ Here's how I would look at it. In life there are no "re-do's". You get one shot at everything. You have to look down the road to see what is going to benefit you in the long run. Love is a powerful thing, but you need to be sure that you can take care of yourself, as well as, her in the future. A great education is something that can't be taken lightly. I know everyone says follow your heart, but sometimes the heart can lead down the wrong path. Don't be hasty in your decision. Think about what will make the long journey easier on you both. IMHO. Good luck.

Oh yeah. I know it's already been said, but, talk to God about it. I promise you he'll lead you the right way.

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I agree with YaYa (did I say that? :eek: :D). I don't know you, but you may not know the difference in love and infatuation yet. That being so, you never know what will happen.

BTW, my wife and I lived apart for the first nine months we were married while she finished school. We had a "weekend marriage" during that time. But she did finish... I wasn't going to stand in the way of that.
in my situation i would be apart from here for 2 years

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 04:04 PM

we'd have to call her RM+1

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
AJ heres what I can offer you, the decision is going to come down to what you choose, in reality no one can post anything on here that will change what your heart really desires, and if someone can change what your heart desires then you need to do some serious soul searching. I know you believe in God, and I simply leave you this advice, look at your life and prioritize it, and ask God to help you make the choice that he would want you to make. Just my 3 cents(it would be 2 but everyone throws in their 2 cents and I value my opinion a little more highly:D ) thanks dre, i just think my heart leans to CC...i worked for a year to get here to be able to go to school and be around her....and actually i think looking at the numbers that it will be cheaper

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 04:11 PM
russ and rabbit, thanks for the advice....

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2005, 07:25 AM
AJ, it really is ultimately your decision. Only you, with God's help, can determine what is the right choice for you and your girlfriend. If you stay, there are many things you want to get involved in. Are those things worth the additional tuition and being away from her for two years? If so, then you need to stay. Is saving beaucoup money and being near your girlfriend worth leaving the school you love so well? If so, then transferring will be worth it. If you stay & you and your girlfriend were meant to be together, then it will work out.

If you stay with education your entire career, a degree from one college over another won't make that big of a difference. Where you will notice the biggest impact on where you completed your degree is if you leave education for another field.

AggieJohn
04-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

If you stay with education your entire career, a degree from one college over another won't make that big of a difference. Where you will notice the biggest impact on where you completed your degree is if you leave education for another field.

A&M isn't know for it's education program, corpus is....

plus LHPM, maybe i will be less annoying come football season

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2005, 07:42 AM
plus LHPM, maybe i will be less annoying come football season

Nah. :p ;)

Actually, the board might have a little less controversy, but then controversy can take a slow day & make it quite interesting.

AggieJohn
04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Nah. :p ;)

Actually, the board might have a little less controversy, but then controversy can take a slow day & make it quite interesting.

http://tinypic.com/4jajh4

AggieJohn
04-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Russ what all do you remember about my girl...i know yall were in BSM together....were yall casual acquaintances

sinton66
04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, John, I didn't read all of the above posts, but just in case no one told you, the college at Corpus is called Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Although they are called Islanders, they are a part of the A&M system. AND, if you're serious about becoming a teacher, you won't find a better university for that profession.

AggieJohn
04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, John, I didn't read all of the above posts, but just in case no one told you, the college at Corpus is called Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Although they are called Islanders, they are a part of the A&M system. AND, if you're serious about becoming a teacher, you won't find a better university for that profession. something you have to understand about old aggiejohn is that there are two sides of me, the one that is serious, that has his head and his heart on right, but that guy normally doesn't post. the guy that does post is the Redass, proud member fo the FTAC of 06. he is also so protective of his school it gets annoying....

but from the first guy talking, i really do love this girl and moving to corpus would be cheaper...