PDA

View Full Version : To Play or Not to Play

neck_06
04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Alright, here's the situation. (You are the coach)

Your team is tied for 1st place in the district at the end of the season. Do you:

A) Play it out at a neutral site, to decide who gets the first round bye. (who cares if you might see them in the playoffs, a bye is one less game until state!)

B) Flip a coin and see who gets it (you might see them again in the playoffs, and don't want to let them see your ace pitch again)

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Both have logic.... But maybe I just side with the old school too much....

put your men on the field and go head-up...

GreenMonster
04-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Play for it. Championships should be decided on the field by men not by some coin. Who cares about your ace. He will not be able to carbon copy his performance and a pitcher's stuff changes each and every time he goes to the mound. Actually, one more look at a team might actually give your pitcher a better chance against the other team because he will be able to have one more chance to find weaknesses in his opponent.

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Play it!

Bullaholic
04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Play for it. Championships should be decided on the field by men not by some coin. Who cares about your ace. He will not be able to carbon copy his performance and a pitcher's stuff changes each and every time he goes to the mound. Actually, one more look at a team might actually give your pitcher a better chance against the other team because he will be able to have one more chance to find weaknesses in his opponent.

You saved me a lot of typing, GM--

mwynn05
04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, either way it will still be considered a co-championship. (well in our district)If I were the coach I would play it.

Old Dog
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Play, that's what it's all about!

TheDOCTORdre
04-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Unless there is some injury to a vital player on the team and an extra game could put him at rick, you should play it. The saying is Leave it all on the field

AggieJohn
04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
flip's don't decide championships

Phil C
04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Well, either way it will still be considered a co-championship. (well in our district)If I were the coach I would play it.

It would still be considered a co-championship but in nearly everyone's heart the winner would really be district champions and the loser would be considered runner ups as decided by the final game.

VWG
04-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I voted to play for it... but, only if the playoffs didn't start too close to that playoff game. Meaning... you don't want to "burn" an arm pitching when he could be rested going into the playoffs.

injuredinmelee
04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
In football and baseball the champ gets the first round bye so I play at a nuetral site to play for the bye.

superslyguy06
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah GM, thats how we felt here in Graham after our game w/ Ya'll. Win or lose we were either champs or co-champs, but since we lost, in our own eyes, we were runners-up.

raider red 2000
04-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
In football and baseball the champ gets the first round bye so I play at a nuetral site to play for the bye.

basketball & baseball get a buy.....football plays the next week.

i would have to decidewhat is best for the kids....would getting an extra game in help? do i need an extra week of rest? how do my kids do with an off day? stuff like that.

it would vary year to year.

rhs78
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
play for it on the field,coin tossing is like kissing your sister,not much is acomplished!!

GOFOR2
04-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
Alright, here's the situation. (You are the coach)

Your team is tied for 1st place in the district at the end of the season. Do you:

A) Play it out at a neutral site, to decide who gets the first round bye. (who cares if you might see them in the playoffs, a bye is one less game until state!)

B) Flip a coin and see who gets it (you might see them again in the playoffs, and don't want to let them see your ace pitch again)

Well, either way you wont see them again until the Regional Finals since the District Champ and Runner-Up go to opposite ends of the Regional Bracket. Guess the next question is, which end of the bracket would you rather be in and how important is rest to you vs. the kids getting up and competing?

g$$
04-19-2005, 02:00 AM
I would play it if it decides 1st, but not if it is for 2nd or 3rd place in district. Seeing an ace pitcher again would not factor into it at all. Every game is different, pitchers & batters included. Who gets the breaks, etc. changes too. It goes both ways. I would factor in playoff opponent, playoff bracket, rest for my pitchers, tune-up games, etc. over lots of other stuff. But, any competitor worth his salt wants to play it out to determine the outright champion. Just consider all the angles so that you are peaking for the playoffs. That is what matters most.