PDA

View Full Version : Alaniz - TEXAS Class Act

Sinton94
04-17-2005, 08:43 AM
First no-hitter by a Longhorn since Beau Hale did it against Sam Houston State in 2000.

Only the third no-hitter in BIG 12 history.

I also heard on ESPN that they are putting a signed ball signifying the no-hitter in the new College baseball hall of fame.

Great interview and a genuine class act!

Alaniz throws no-hitter to lead 'Horns past Sooners
April 17, 2005

AUSTIN - Some Texas players called Adrian Alaniz's performance against Nebraska last weekend, his coming-out party. As it turns out, they hadn't seen anything yet.

Alaniz, who graduated from Sinton in 2003, threw a no-hitter as Texas blanked Oklahoma 4-0 Saturday at Disch-Falk Field. It was the first no-hitter by a Longhorn since Beau Hale did it against Sam Houston State in 2000.

The only blemish on Alaniz's pitching line was a walk he gave up in the fourth inning.

"I really didn't have any idea (about the no-hitter), but I looked at the scoreboard in about the seventh inning and saw it," said Alaniz, who finished with six strikeouts. "You don't want think about it too much, you want to just keep doing what you're doing."

The biggest threat to Alaniz's feat came in the seventh inning when Ryan Rohlinger sent a shot to deep left field, but Texas' Nick Peoples leaped and crashed into the wall to preserve the no-hitter.

"I hung a slider over the middle and the guy got the barrel on it; I was just hoping Nick would go get it," Alaniz said. "I was in a state of shock (when he caught it) to tell you the truth. That will be one of the top 10 plays I'll ever remember."

Texas got the only run it needed in the second inning when David Maroul singled to drive in Chance Wheeless. The Longhorns added runs in the third, fourth and sixth innings.

Alaniz is 3-0 this year and has won two straight decisions, after striking out nine batters in six innings in a win over Nebraska last week.