PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for a school project

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I am doing a project for one of my classes over rap music, and I was wondering if I could get some input from some of y'all. I would like yall to put down whether or not you like rap music, why and your age or if you're uncomfortable with that your age range within a ten year span (ex. 20-29). I would like some good answer nothing like "I dont like rap because it sucks". If you want to give me an uncensored answer to why you dont like rap you can PM me. Thanks for y'alls help it is greatly appreciated

Bullaholic
04-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Dre, I'll try to help. I'm 57, and, no, I do not like "rap" music. I am ecclectic in my music tastes, love it all dearly, except "rap". IMO, "rap" does not qualify as music, but rather as verse set to a funky beat. I realize that not all "rap" music advocates violence against authorities and profuse use of profanity, but the majority does. That, coupled with the preferred "life style" of most "rap" artists which appears to be extreme opulence, whether they can afford it or not, and the predilection for choosing to speak in an unintelligble and untelligent fashion on every occasion, cause me to leave "rap" music out of my life and music library. BTW, I in no way, intend this criticism be directed at any particular race. My feelings are just as strong against "Eminem" as "50-Cent".

jason
04-16-2005, 04:21 PM
22 male
i like the older 'original' rap - stuff like 2Pac/etc.....
i can tolerate the new 50 cent type stuff, but its not the same....

..and for the record i enjoy most types of music with classic rock topping my list....

onfirebball05mustang
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
18 and i used to NEVER listen to rap...
I agree that someo f it does have a LARGE lyric source from profanity and against all authority, but some of it does not. Sometimes it's good to just let loose and say what you mean when 'singing', but other times it can be quite inapproriate. Now, I listen to a great mix of rap, r&b, country, rock, alternative and christian...each has it's place and time. I, for one, would say I generally like it, although some songs need to just stay off my airwaves!

JMHO!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Rap Sucks. :D

I dislike rap because there really isn't much of a use of the English language, and most of the songs talk about the same thing.

Bandera YaYa
04-16-2005, 09:23 PM
40-49 Mom :p :D
The reason I don't like rap is multi-fold. First, I really can't understand what is being said. Then I take a HUGE offense to the lyrics that degrade women...which seems to be prevelant in rap songs. The videos show half naked women all groping the rapper....like he is something to be worshiped and they are a lower class than him. I don't like this message it's sending to young boys and girls. Mix that with the violence, the guns, and general lack of respect to others, and you don't have anything I would want to listen to. That is my honest opinion. I'm not saying all the artists are bad people, but many are in the news fighting, shooting and killing. If this is not the lifestyles of rappers in reality, than why portray it in the music and the videos? I enjoy music that either soothes my soul or gets me dancing....there is enough violence and anger on the nitely news.

Holmes_Fans
04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
15 Male

I like some of it. Mostly just eminem because you can understand him and he doesn't sing about chromed out 22's on his escalade and other gangster related stuff.

BrahmaMom
04-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm mid-40's and concur with YaYa. I see nothing entertaining, redeeming or musical about the style. What most of it advocates violates my core beliefs and values and is detrimental to society. Good luck on your paper.

Ray_BearKat
04-16-2005, 10:00 PM
22 male

I like some of it...mostly the more commercial stuff none of that hardcore underground rap.

District303aPastPlayer
04-16-2005, 11:10 PM
21 Male

I like the stories I hear from guys like Common Sense, The Wu Tang Clan, Kanye West, Talib Kweli and Mos Def. They provide a look into the neighborhoods and childhoods of other areas of the nation. Kanye/Common - Chicago, Mos/Talib-Brooklyn, Wu Tang - Long Island

Buccaneer
04-17-2005, 12:16 AM
52 Most rap is crap except for Eminem!

GreenMonster
04-17-2005, 12:43 AM
28 male
I do not care much for rap music. Most of what I have heard glorifies the street and large urban areas. This is not very representative of me or where I grew up. My values are small town values where it is still proper respect your elders, be polite, and live by the Golden Rule. Guns, drugs, gangs, and inner city struggle has no place in my world.

Rabbit'93
04-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Great subject Dre.

30 male

I can tolerate some rap now. What's funny is, back when I was in the sixth grade Run DMC came out. I thought it was cool. I was strictly rap after that. I liked NWA, LL Cool J, Doug E Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, RUN DMC, etc. all old school. With the exception of NWA those guys "battled" back and forth and it was cool. It was the start of a whole new scene. The whole gangsta thing has put a black eye IMO on rap. The genre needs to go back to its roots and give fans something positive.

TheDOCTORdre
04-17-2005, 03:01 PM
ttt

AggieJohn
04-17-2005, 03:13 PM
22 Male

I am a fan of the old school stuff i.e. tupac biggie

can't stand the gangster stuff. SPM was a joke.

Eminem and Nelly are lyricists 50 cent is a glorified idiot.

people who use all the differnt slang terms as titles in their Cd's are stupid

and master p is a joke
http://www.thenewnolimit.com/dl/dl006.jpg

Rabbit'93
04-17-2005, 05:28 PM
AJ isn't tupac gansta...?

Astrosdawg07
04-17-2005, 06:14 PM
16 male

I like some rap, but most of it is just pointless....Add F**K, B***H, and Hoe, and put it to a beat and Its a Hit. Where's the talent in it?

big daddy russ
04-17-2005, 06:15 PM
25/Male, voted Yes

I hated it up until two or three years ago but one of my old bosses got me started on Nelly and I loved "Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangster" off of Office Space (hell, I just loved Office Space). I do like Twista, Nelly and some 50 Cent, but I'm not big on Eminem or Ludacris.

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh yah...

22 Male... Voted 'Some'

CHS_CG
04-17-2005, 06:18 PM
19 female I like some of it.. some of it is really really stupid but some of it I like, most of the time its better than what my parents listen to...

espn1
04-17-2005, 08:45 PM
45 Male
Rap is shallow and for idiots and me and Roy D. Mercer feel like puttin about 55 gallons of a$$ whuppen on people that like it. That stuff will give you a "mybrain headache". Sharon Jean is a little hot under the collar because Raymond and Latisha listen to some of that crap. The first time I ever heard any of it I almost got into a knock down drag out. I thought I was at an auction and raised my finger and before I new it a couple of punks wearing stretch underwear on their heads asked me why I was flipping them the bird? I told em I was just bidding on their car.:D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
but most of it is just pointless....Add F**K, B***H, and Hoe, and put it to a beat and Its a Hit. Where's the talent in it?

:clap: :clap:

45/female/No

When M. C. Hammer first showed up, I figured there was no way that rap would last. I had no idea what a downhill skid it would take from there.

IMO, Stupid fer Sure was no singer.

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
22 Male

I am a fan of the old school stuff i.e. tupac biggie

can't stand the gangster stuff. SPM was a joke.

Eminem and Nelly are lyricists 50 cent is a glorified idiot.

people who use all the differnt slang terms as titles in their Cd's are stupid

lemme clarify real quick:
BIG/2Pac - Not Old School, relatively new into Gangster Rap
Old School = Kool Moe Dee, Bizzie Bee, Original Rock Steady Crew, George Clinton, Afrika Bambattaa, DJ Kool Herc
SPM - Screw Era Music
Eminem = Lyricist, Nelly = Not a Lyricist
If you want to hear real lyricists, listen to some Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, BLACKStar, GangStarr, and Kanye West.

Slang terms = what people relate to

espn1
04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Old School = Kool Moe Dee, Bizzie Bee, Original Rock Steady Crew, George Clinton, Afrika Bambattaa, DJ Kool Herc
SPM - Screw Era Music
If you want to hear real lyricists, listen to some Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, BLACKStar, GangStarr, and Kanye West.

Slang terms = what people relate to Alot of Auctioneers wasting their talents.

Rabbit'93
04-17-2005, 09:10 PM
SPM - Screw Era Music

Wasn't the rock steady crew a break dance group?

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Wasn't the rock steady crew a break dance group?

yes they were, but they were dancing to DJ Kid Capri, DJ Kool Herc, DJ Melle Mel, and DJ Grandmaster Flash

raider red 2000
04-17-2005, 09:50 PM
i agree that tupac and biggie are not old skool....i hate most of the new crap....favorites include nwa and tupac.

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 10:15 PM

If "slang terms" are what rap consists of, I am more than happy to not understand today's slang.

JHS_c/o_06'
04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
lol...i'm the metal-head of the school. I hate all rap music. And i find it hilarious (but also pissed off at the same time) that now its the popular thing to take an 80's metal song riff and turn it into a 'beat' and rap over it.

Walk This Way with Aerosmith and Run DMC was ok...cause the original artist was involved.

But now....they've taken Crazy Train..Riders On The Storm ( a Doors track) and BACK IN BLACK...you cant take that from us...thats horrible.