PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT'S 'Small Town'

Gobbla2001
04-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Figured this could be interesting seeing how most of us are from small towns...

Say someone who was planning on creating a small town came to you and asked what they needed to have an official small town...

What would you suggest???

MY first suggestion is:

An old man who commutes via a riding lawnmower...

VWG
04-16-2005, 12:41 PM
One Dairy Queen

jason
04-16-2005, 01:03 PM
one gas station

kepdawg
04-16-2005, 01:14 PM
http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/celebs/dknotts/barney.jpg

NSUTrumpet08
04-16-2005, 01:26 PM
One 4 way stop...no traffic light...

JHS_c/o_06'
04-16-2005, 01:35 PM
one flashing yellow light

injuredinmelee
04-16-2005, 01:49 PM
A guy who thinks he is a cop that rides a three wheel bicycle and patrols religiously in front of the Harveys until its time for supper up at the retirement home.

You Iowa Park guys know all about this. Jackie Gee was his name. People used to give him keys I swear he had a thousand on a chain that spanned his handle bars. Any of you Hawks know if he is still around?

slpybear the bullfan
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
One Dairy Queen and NO MCDONALDS.

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
One Dairy Queen and NO MCDONALDS.
one ALLSUPS and no Dairy Queen:D

slpybear the bullfan
04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
WOW!!!

Now that IS small!

gobbler grad
04-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jason
one gas station

that is abandoned and falling down...:thinking:

44INAROW
04-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
one ALLSUPS and no Dairy Queen:D

I'll bite - what is ALLSUPS?

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'll bite - what is ALLSUPS?
An ALLSUPs is nothing more than a convience store that offers such delictable items such as these http://www.harkphoto.com/052502allsups.jpg

Gobbla2001
04-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
An ALLSUPs is nothing more than a convience store that offers such delictable items such as these http://www.harkphoto.com/052502allsups.jpg

Kinda like our Tiger Tote and Ice House, eh, Cuero Folk?

Old Cardinal
04-16-2005, 04:05 PM
One two-pump gas station and a hamburger stop inside with two formica topped kitchenette tables with metal foldout chairs. Out on the road a sign on one end of the station stating "Welcome to ______"; on the other end of the station a sign that says, "Come back and visit _______ again"

sahen
04-16-2005, 05:08 PM
when i went to kansas me and my friend went though this town that had a farm house off in the distance and a gas pump....no station just the pump and u paid w/ a credit card at it....

pirate44
04-16-2005, 05:18 PM
one high school. 3A classification. does that make the town too big?

espn1
04-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
One two-pump gas station and a hamburger stop inside with two formica topped kitchenette tables with metal foldout chairs. Out on the road a sign on one end of the station stating "Welcome to ______"; on the other end of the station a sign that says, "Come back and visit _______ again" and a bench with three old men watching the cars go by. Possibly playing dominoes.

injuredinmelee
04-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Allsups burritos are a religion amongst young teenage boys

lepfan
04-16-2005, 06:52 PM
1. An old lady who gets around in a golf cart

2. Nearest Wal-Mart is 50 miles away

3. No Dairy Queen, No Sonic, No Whataburger -- just a Dawg's Den (some locals call it the DAIRY KING)

4. EVERYTHING in town is shut down by 8 pm (summer hours)

5. Before you move in town you call the utility companies to have your utilities hooked up....and they already know you by name

6. A message board welded to a split rim at the 4 way stop -- letting you know of all the town's happenings

7. When someone dies the town shuts down for a few hours...literally ALMOST EVERYTHING closes.

This is my life in Kansas small town living!

AggieJohn
04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
in little league you have your brother coaching a team against you and your in a mess because you just made your dad mad, because he's the umpire....oh yeah, that's after you went to your mom and the concessions to get a sno cone

Haunta Yo
04-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Just last week, I was driving through a smal town and saw an old lady wearin' a Moo-Moo that was taking the mover out for a spin.

She was heading in the direction of the ALLSUPS type store and she looked at ME like I was crazy for staring....

lepfan
04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

when we lived in OK we owned a full service gas station....a lady pulled up on a lawn mower (ding, ding) my husband came out of a bay (he was doing mechanic work $$$) and she asked him to pump her a quarters worth of gas....I won't repeat what he told her just before he turned around and went back to work on the vehicle ....

Gobbla2001
04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
in little league you have your brother coaching a team against you and your in a mess because you just made your dad mad, because he's the umpire....oh yeah, that's after you went to your mom and the concessions to get a sno cone

No!

Gobbla2001
04-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Suprised no one has mentioned:

"Redsidents eating, sleeping and drinking Texas High School Football..."

Also, cops who pull kids over for underage drinking, and instead of poppin' the law on 'em, just giving them a lecture and following them home, keeping a close eyes on the house making sure they don't leave (don't know from experience, of course ;) )

District303aPastPlayer
04-16-2005, 11:17 PM
uhhh... an HEB and no other store...

lepfan
04-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

uhhhh, not even an HEB

superslyguy06
04-17-2005, 12:02 AM
a liquor store just outside town . . .

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by superslyguy06
a liquor store just outside town . . .

or a liquor sotre with a drive-thru?

or does that exist outside of small-towns as well?

GreenMonster
04-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
A guy who thinks he is a cop that rides a three wheel bicycle and patrols religiously in front of the Harveys until its time for supper up at the retirement home.

You Iowa Park guys know all about this. Jackie Gee was his name. People used to give him keys I swear he had a thousand on a chain that spanned his handle bars. Any of you Hawks know if he is still around?

Jackie is still around. He lives in the nursing home now and they don't let him out very often any more. He still has those keys and that little cowboy hat and toy six shooter to boot. Man, Jackie is a riot. Just ask him about his " Duties " and he will go on a tear spittin out jibberish so fast not even he knows what he is saying. I always buy him a Coke in a bottle down there at Scobee's Mini Mart if he ever makes it that far up into town. I guess I've seen him out on the town 3 or 4 times over the past 5 years or so. You can still find him everyday sittin out in front of the nursing home in a rocker watching the kids play across the street at the elementary school playground.

injuredinmelee
04-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Wow i can remember whizzing by hiim on our BMXs dontown and hed come after us in hot pursuit. A true Legend. I can remember him one friday night standing in the middle of the road by the football stadium with his flashlight trying to direct traffic.

lepfan
04-17-2005, 09:45 AM
I guess every town has a "Jackie". We had a guy like that too.

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

:eek: Who has an HEB? :eek:

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: Who has an HEB? :eek:

We used to have an HEB and a Stanley's operating at the same time in Cuero when I was a little kid...

Now just an HEB...

We have like, 6 gas stations, was 7 but one stopped selling gas...

Have a Mc Donalds, Whataburger, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Wal-Mart, greasy Tex/Mex, Burger join that was apparently a chain once, but the only one left is in Cuero, two bbq places, other little eateries, hole in the wall breakfast taco places etc... all in a little town...

Ew, and a Subway, an O'Reily's and a Church's Chicken... Pizza-Hut...

still waiting on that Taco Bell that is supposed to come every time someone starts building something...

I remember in High School they were building the O'Reilly's, we all thought that was going to be a Taco Bell :(

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 11:33 AM
The old guy sitting on the sidewalk downtown that waves at everyone who drives by.

Not having a grocery store but, instead a "super" convenience store w/o gas.

Having a "no cut" rule in football & basketball for Junior High.

AggieBob
04-17-2005, 11:56 AM
one guy owns half the businesses in town, no public septic system downtown, your church service(the one in the middle of town that has been there for 150 years) averages less than 50 a service, the main topic of conversation is the new stop light being built, no dairy queen, now mcdonalds, no sonic, town officials consist of all your freinds and family( even school board), the main hangout is under a bridge in a creek with a rope swing.

lepfan
04-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
We used to have an HEB and a Stanley's operating at the same time in Cuero when I was a little kid...

Now just an HEB...

We have like, 6 gas stations, was 7 but one stopped selling gas...

Have a Mc Donalds, Whataburger, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Wal-Mart, greasy Tex/Mex, Burger join that was apparently a chain once, but the only one left is in Cuero, two bbq places, other little eateries, hole in the wall breakfast taco places etc... all in a little town...

Ew, and a Subway, an O'Reily's and a Church's Chicken... Pizza-Hut...

still waiting on that Taco Bell that is supposed to come every time someone starts building something...

I remember in High School they were building the O'Reilly's, we all thought that was going to be a Taco Bell :(

In my eyes (at this time) this would be considered a BIG town!;)

AggieJohn
04-17-2005, 12:49 PM
you can easily have your own effect on the school board or the city council because they are all your best friends dads or mothers

Chief Woodman
04-17-2005, 01:21 PM
No cells phones, no cell towers, no cell coverage.

The only phones are a "Party line" that rings a certain number of times letting all know who the call is for. If you want in on the conversation just pick up the phone and join in.

To place a call you do not need to know the number, just pick up the phone and say " Hey Mabel, ring Frank for me". She knows who you are are who Frank is.

If you call long distance you pick up the phone and say "Hey Mabel, I need to call log distance here is the number...." But before she rings the number for you, EVERYONE is notified so they can listen in on the call from the start.

Thus is life in Coushatta, LA. about 50 miles south of Shreveport.

TheDOCTORdre
04-17-2005, 01:25 PM
its a small town when prom time comes around and you've known who you are going to ask your whole life:The one girl in town that isnt related to you

AggieJohn
04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
or when you go in a group to prom with 3 other couples and you all have a "history" with everyone elses dates

lepfan
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
or when you go in a group to prom with 3 other couples and you all have a "history" with everyone elses dates

No AJ, that is just going to the prom with some girls who "get around"

AggieJohn
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah i guess

Old Cardinal
04-17-2005, 06:57 PM
To Gobbla 2001: This is a really nifty thread-thanks for starting such a winner!

NSUTrumpet08
04-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Jasper has an HEB and about everything Gobbla2001 mentioned...and we do have a taco bell and a wal-mart super center! Yay!

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Main highways closed for parades, dirt-road detours...

Gobbla2001
04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
and we do have a taco bell

THAT'S CRAP! :mad:

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2005, 09:11 PM
All businesses close around 6:15 for football games... open up for coffee around 1030, close around 1145 so you have time to get home and watch the High School Sports Extra.

spiveyrat
04-18-2005, 06:37 AM
A volunteer fire department.

NO police department. Merely patrolled by Sheriff's department.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

You've been to LH? :thinking:

spiveyrat
04-18-2005, 07:38 AM
No, Jasper has a volunteer fire dept. And Buna has no police dept.

NSUTrumpet08
04-18-2005, 08:00 AM
OOOOH! Your entire school district gets the day off for Rodeo Day...the start of the Jasper Lions Club Rodeo! And you have a parade through town!

pirate44
04-18-2005, 08:15 AM
OOOOH! Your entire school district gets the day off for Rodeo Day...the start of the Jasper Lions Club Rodeo! And you have a parade through town!
the school house is empty during the ag show

lepfan
04-18-2005, 09:24 AM

spivey....you must have ventured west --- you are describing life here

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:26 AM

oh yall do that too?

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:26 AM
or when your FFA Students are out of school two weeks at a time each year because of the huge cattle show in your town

spiveyrat
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
spivey....you must have ventured west --- you are describing life here

I have been to Colby... but I haven't been that far west on the southern side of the state... and honestly, I don't have any plans to. ;) Living out of Texas is bad enough, but at least I do have the luxuries of the city. :)

sinfan75
04-18-2005, 01:03 PM
How bout a grocery, beer joint , restuarant and gas station all under one roof.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
How bout a grocery, beer joint , restuarant and gas station all under one roof.

What's wrong with that? :thinking: :thinking: ;)

Ranger Mom
04-18-2005, 01:11 PM
How small is your town if it's not even considered a "town"?

Greenwood is just a community with it's own school district.

All addresses are Midland or Stanton addresses.

No grocery store, no post office, a mom & pop convenience store, mom & pop pizza place, no red lights, no yellow lights...no lights at all! We do have a nice car wash though!!:D

44INAROW
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I have been to Colby... but I haven't been that far west on the southern side of the state... and honestly, I don't have any plans to. ;) Living out of Texas is bad enough, but at least I do have the luxuries of the city. :)

my family ALMOST moved to Colby KS when I was in the 7th grade.. :rolleyes:

CHS_Grad '85
04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I live in the Hix Community - we have a church and one ice house - my address is Caldwell (about 11 miles away) but my phone number is Snook/Tunis (about 18 miles away)... go figure...

CHS_CG
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
I live in the Hix Community - we have a church and one ice house - my address is Caldwell (about 11 miles away) but my phone number is Snook/Tunis (about 18 miles away)... go figure...

she DOES live in the stix!!! I live in the Harmony community.. we have a church, and a seafood place lol we are about 10 minutes outta Caldwell.

lepfan
04-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Don't! You may run out of gas and you will be here for days!!!! No one comes here unless they have to. I just can't imagine moving here just because. This was the largest town within the 40 mile radius from my husbands office he was allowed.

20dawgz05
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
you get pulled over by a cop and they just follow u to ur house and let ur parents deal with u..... happend to me and my bub...... maybe burnet is getting big we have like 6 or 7 stop lights... haha AND A BRAND NEW CHICKEN EXPRESS!!!! no more driving to Marble Falls for a sweet tea!!!!

super1
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
you gotta have a building that is now vacant but has in the past been a hamburger joint, a Mexican restaurant, an antique store, a gas station, or a barber shop, but was origianly the post office that closed down because the town was too small.

you have one old yeller dog who lays around town that everyone knows, but noone claims.

During football season, people park in the baseball outfield.

You have to drive to the nearest town to buy gas.