PDA

View Full Version : Qualities of a winning Highschool Football Team.....

Gobbler Fan
04-15-2005, 02:39 PM
How would you rank the following qualities in their contribution to a winning Highschool Football Team ?

1.Coaching
2.Physical Conditioning
3.Fan Support
4.Parental Support
5.Spirit
6.Player Intelligence
7.Tradition
8.Talent

state why.

kepdawg
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Look Here (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28326)

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
de ja vu:thinking:

Gobbler Fan
04-15-2005, 03:00 PM
From someone who has had the prividge of observing one of the most succesfull football programs in the state :

1.Commitment-"practice hard ,play hard, leave it all on the field"-Heart; commitment to winning and the work ethic it takes to get there; commitment to teammates,family, coaches,community.Easilly the most important trait IMO. Where does it come from ?

1a Character -sometimes this comes from coaching, sometimes from parents.sometimes God-Given

1b Coaching -leadership or the ability to have kids" buy in " much more important than X's and O's

1c Tradition -Cant stand on it's own but sure is nice. Watching your brothers and friends do it make it easier to believe

1d - Hard for a kid to be commited if his parents arent

1e Community Support -When the commnuity is commited (like 10%eating breakfast together at 6:00 in the morning to talk about the Program, or 75 % of the community showing up on Friday nights) Tends to rub off on the kids

1f School Spirit- when the studentbody is behind you you can feel it , plus you end up with more participation throughtout the program

1g Love and Fear -wanting to do the best for yourself , your buddies ,coaches, parents,community. Fear of failing and letting yourself and others down. and every once in a while fear of the size 12 on the backside when you're losing focus

Gobbler Fan
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
This question was borrowed from another site I was skimming thu ...........looks like I know where they got it from .:crazy:

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
This question was borrowed from another site I was skimming thu ...........looks like I know where they got it from .:crazy:

Actually, Gobbler Fan, I authored this thread as I was sitting here yesterday wondering what I could post that would get folks minds off of the "War of Texas" thread.....

vet93
04-15-2005, 05:24 PM
I posted this a few years back and it kind of applies to this discussion....If I was going to ammend it I would add the C of Committment......Here it is for what it is worth.

The C’s of a True Champion

Any team can win with great talent, but not every team can win without it. What separates the teams that achieve greatness from those that history fails to remember? Every team has potential, but only a few teams can actually exceed that potential to become true champions. It has been said that true champions are not made on the playing field…they are recognized there. What teams do in the off-season, the practice field, the weight room and away from the football field are often what turn the average into the extraordinary. Below are the C’s of a true champion:

1. CHARACTER – Character is defined in the dictionary as moral strength and integrity. A man who has character is someone that you can count on to be there when times are tough. In teams that have character, each person knows that his teammates are going to do whatever is necessary for the team to succeed regardless of the sacrifice. Teams with character study longer, listen to their coaches better and work harder than other teams. Teams with character do not fold under pressure, do not give up and make very few mental mistakes. Without character the other C’s will not get done. Are you a man of character playing on a team that is defined by character?

2. COACHABILITY – Teams that don’t listen to their coaches are not going to succeed. They may have some success due to their talent, but these teams will never take it to the next level to compete for championships. Coaches dedicate their lives to the study of their sport and the training of young people. Their years of study give them insights and ideas that others cannot see. It is arrogance for an athlete to feel like he knows more about his sport than his coaches.

3. CLASSROOM – Great teams prepare better than less successful teams. There are two types of preparation in regards to classroom: 1) Preparing for your opponent by paying attention to your coaches and knowing your assignments and 2) Taking care of business in school so that you are able to play when the team needs you. In a team sport, being able to play each week not only affects you, but it also affects every one of your teammates who have come to depend on you.

4. COURAGE - Courage is essential for a champion. Courage comes in many forms. The courage to push yourself in order to get better physically. The courage to be a leader and set the example for people around you. The courage to accept responsibility for ones actions and do what is needed to have success and finally, the courage to take on an opponent that may be stronger or faster than yourself. Without courage you will only succeed against teams who are either physically weaker than you or who have even less courage than yourself.

5. CLASS – Many teams have a great deal of talent but fail the test of true champions because they lack class. A true champion is humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Too many times athletes promote themselves by taunting, playing to the crowd or acting in an unsportsmanlike manner. These actions do far more to hurt the team than they ever do to help it. To win a game will gain you respect for your physical abilities, but to win a game with class will gain you respect for your abilities and for who you are as a person. The latter is a far loftier goal.

6. CRESCENDO – This is a music term that means, “Build to a Climax”. True champions are always improving. Their best game is always their last game. Many teams are good in August or September but fail in November and December when things really count. If you stagnate and plateau, other teams will catch and surpass you. If you are satisfied with the status quo then expect nothing more than mediocrity.

7. CAMARADERIE - To be a true champion you have to care about your teammates. You have to be willing to sacrifice for each other. When the fourth quarter rolls around and you look across the huddle at those other guys and you see how much they have sacrificed it makes you want to win the game as much for them as yourself. When you step away from the game you won’t remember the individual honors. You will remember what you accomplished together. You will remember that you were a band of brothers that left it all on the field on some cold fall night and that is when you will know that you are a true champion.

gobbler84
04-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Tradition comes first. Then I think Attitude.

44INAROW
04-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Also the 3 T's

1) Teamwork
2) Talent
3) Termination

sorry I could not resist.. those of you from Cuero know who said that don't you? lol lol

Gobbla2001
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Also the 3 T's

1) Teamwork
2) Talent
3) Termination

sorry I could not resist.. those of you from Cuero know who said that don't you? lol lol

I have a few guesses, pm me the result ha

GreenMonster
04-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I am a firm believer that everyone has posted true and correct statements but, you can not forget the true key .... genetics. If you don't have the horses you won't win the race and there is only so much that a coach can get out of an athlete. The rest must be God given.

Buffalo
04-15-2005, 08:22 PM
This is a great topic

WOS1
04-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Attitude... you have to have the right kind before the rest will fall into place.