PDA

View Full Version : Good News for San Antonio and South Texas!!

Phil C
04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
It is possible that San Antonio might get a Major League Soccer Team by 2006!! I am sure 66 will be delighted. Me - I am not delighted as you would expect - it is men's soccer. Still this is a positive beginning.

44INAROW
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
It is possible that San Antonio might get a Major League Soccer Team by 2006!! I am sure 66 will be delighted. Me - I am not delighted as you would expect - it is men's soccer. Still this is a positive beginning.

At least it's a start Phil :D

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
its just another reason i cant get a riverwalk hotel at a decent price. :mad:

CHS_Grad '85
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Sure looks that way Phil...

Council OKs Rent-Free Dome To Attract Soccer Team

Fri Apr 15,10:47 AM ET Local - KSAT

The San Antonio City Council voted Thursday to spend nearly $7 million to bring a Major League Soccer team to the Alamo City next year.

The proposed deal calls for the city to spend nearly $3 million on luxury suites and nearly $4 million for a practice facility.

The council also voted to allow the team to use the Alamodome rent-free for 20 games a year.

The soccer franchise would also be allowed to keep ticket, parking and concession revenues.

San Antonio Mayor Ed Garza said the city's deal with Major League Soccer is unique because the league usually requires cities to build stadiums designed for soccer use.

"We had to do a hard sell that the Alamodome could become the premiere indoor soccer facility in North America. That is our goal," said Garza. "We think the improvements that we will make will be our improvements. They will be to benefit other sports."

Councilman Carroll Schubert voted against the proposal.

"I don't think it was ready at all. I don't like it when I'm presented with a document that has new points in it which we haven't discussed before," said Schubert.

The city still has to approve the deal before the proposal can move forward.

j_dog
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
yes, but when will they get REAL football? :D

Stretch04
04-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Soccer is a gay so called sport. What a waste of the Astrodome. Phil you reinforce, with every post, that you are a wierdo. How can any self respecting Texan support soccer.

pirate44
04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04
Soccer is a gay so called sport. What a waste of the Astrodome. Phil you reinforce, with every post, that you are a wierdo. How can any self respecting Texan support soccer.
here we go again. Phil C's fan club president here to cheer everyone up:rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM

http://img137.echo.cx/img137/6889/wow001gif11135994493641sg.gif

You never cease to amaze me!:rolleyes:

Stretch04
04-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Glad I can amaze ya'll

Manck
04-16-2005, 03:40 PM
More good news for the South Texans, pulled directly from Major League Soccer's website, MLSnet.com
-----
MLS reaches agreement with San Antonio for future team
Major League Soccer
SAN ANTONIO -- Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber today issued the following statement regarding the agreement between the League and the City of San Antonio for an MLS team that could begin play in the city as early as the 2006 regular season.

"Led by Mayor Ed Garza, the City of San Antonio has aggressively pursued bringing a Major League Soccer team to the market," MLS Commissioner Don Garber stated. "As one of the country's fastest-growing and most diverse cities, MLS is convinced that San Antonio is an ideal home for a Major League Soccer club. We are currently in discussions with several potential ownership groups for the San Antonio MLS team and we will work closely with Mayor Garza and the soccer community in San Antonio to assist with the goal of bringing Major League Soccer to San Antonio in 2006."

Under terms of the agreement, MLS would grant the City of San Antonio an MLS club beginning in 2006 provided the following elements are in place:

(a) an ownership group is secured;

(b) 5,000 season tickets are sold by August 17, 2005;

(c) plans are finalized for the construction of a state-of-the-art soccer training complex. Additionally, MLS has conditioned that youth soccer fields be included as part of the soccer complex.

The agreement also contains a detailed stadium plan in which the City of San Antonio has agreed to provide an MLS team with a facility appropriate for the sport, granting the club the rights to all ticket sales, certain sponsorship and stadium signage sales, stadium concessions/merchandise and parking, and the state-of-the art practice complex.
-----
So, PhilC, you might want to get together the loose change and graba season ticket so the team comes next season.

Personally, I think they should have a team, but not play in the dome. Part of the beauty of the game is the conditions. I'm watching expansion Real Salt Lake play their home opener at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, and they have the SportTurf stuff...just doesn't seem right...They had to put sandbags on the supports of the goals to keep them down. But I'm obviously not on the San Antonio City Council, so I guess I can't really do much about all that.

Still, congratulations to San Antonio!

Any suggestions of the name for the club?

sinton66
04-16-2005, 09:13 PM

If you don't quit insinuating that I like wussyball, I'm gonna be forced to take some drastic action of some kind. And, it ain't gonna be pretty.:p

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2005, 12:26 AM
I think FC SAn Antonio might work too.
Take it back like they did in Dalas. Or they could bring in a partnership with the likes of ManU... San Antonio United sounds cool.

They have room over on the south side near the SBC Center to build the facility if they choose to. I think it will benefit that area of town IF they choose to do it

sahen
04-17-2005, 02:08 AM
hm....im wondering why a san antonio soccer team would play in the astrodome....heck they dont really play many sports in the astrodome in houston now...maybe they can move it to san antonio but im thinkin they would prolly just play in the alamodome...

TheDOCTORdre
04-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by sahen
hm....im wondering why a san antonio soccer team would play in the astrodome....heck they dont really play many sports in the astrodome in houston now...maybe they can move it to san antonio but im thinkin they would prolly just play in the alamodome...
get'em sahen

GOFOR2
04-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
its just another reason i cant get a riverwalk hotel at a decent price. :mad:

Go to priceline.com, you can always get a good price for a very good room. Got the Westin last year for $65, the Marriot Rivercenter for $55. It is worth it.