PDA

View Full Version : Have we been brainwashed ourselves?

Phil C
04-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Have we been had? Some posts have said the Freshmen Aggies are brainwashed but what about ourselves? Have the big oil companies raised their prices up (in Sinton it got up to $2.199) and then brought them down (now in Sinton it is $2.059) so that the these still high prices won't be so bad? What I mean that is kind of like a person raising someone with 102 degree fever to 106 degree fever then bringing it down to 102 degrees so he would feel better. Have we been had by a phycological ploy?

Naaaaaa! :) or should it be NOT! :D

pirate44
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Have we been had? Some posts have said the Freshmen Aggies are brainwashed but what about ourselves? Have the big oil companies raised their prices up (in Sinton it got up to $2.199) and then brought them down (now in Sinton it is $2.059) so that the these still high prices won't be so bad? What I mean that is kind of like a person raising someone with 102 degree fever to 106 degree fever then bringing it down to 102 degrees so he would feel better. Have we been had by a phycological ploy?

Naaaaaa! :) or should it be NOT! :D
and as they raise the price of gas, nobody even recognizes that a gallon of milk now costs 4 bucks
:eek:

Phil C
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
and as they raise the price of gas, nobody even recognizes that a gallon of milk now costs 4 bucks

:eek: Say it isn't so 44.

pirate44
04-15-2005, 01:42 PM
:eek: Say it isn't so 44.
it still beats buying a can of formula for $24 per can (less than a weeks worth for a newborn)

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 01:43 PM

I have...I go through a gallon of whole milk every other day.

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Have we been had by a phycological ploy?

I think so Godfather! It is a conspiracy and I won't be happy until the prices get much lower than the current rate.

THEY'RE KILLIN' ME (since we are a 3 vehicle family). I guess no amount of whining will help though.:rolleyes:

And you're right P44...THE GROCERY STORE IS KILLIN' ME TOO!:D

How's that for a little drama today?

Rabbit'93
04-15-2005, 01:45 PM
it still beats buying a can of formula for $24 per can (less than a weeks worth for a newborn)
Good thing my wife breastfeeds. Not only is it cheaper....it's better for the little one.

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 01:52 PM
i bought a bike today.....as in bicycle.

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

How many mpg's do you get? :D

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM

Good for you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree the best way to send the message is to lower our consumption. Even the smallest efforts add up ... making one trip to the store verses three, car-pooling, taking my son's keys away ;)

In some of the "bigger" issues, it is the smaller "collective" efforts of many that can make a difference.

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Good for you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree the best way to send the message is to lower our consumption. Even the smallest efforts add up ... making one trip to the store verses three, car-pooling, taking my son's keys away ;)

In some of the "bigger" issues, it is the smaller "collective" efforts of many that can make a difference.
i know it would annoy alot of people, but if the government "had" to get involved, they could lower the speed limits back to 55 mph. in the grand scheme of things, i bet consumption would drop quick.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:02 PM
nobody even recognizes that a gallon of milk now costs 4 bucks

:eek: :eek: You need to find a new store!

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 02:02 PM
i know it would annoy alot of people, but if the government "had" to get involved, they could lower the speed limits back to 55 mph. in the grand scheme of things, i bet consumption would drop quick.

i will be living by school, and by my work...so i figure if i dropped 100 bucks on a bike i would save that by the end of the month.

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:03 PM

true, I hadn't really thought of that...might also lower the highway death tolls :thinking:

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: :eek: You need to find a new store!

thats how much it is here as well....3.55 a gallon. i spend 11 bucks a week on milk....geez.....

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
everyone check out this link to the prices of liquids

liquid prices (http://www.cockeyed.com/science/gallon/liquid.html)
who would have guessed scorpion venom costs so much?

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:09 PM
thats how much it is here as well....3.55 a gallon. i spend 11 bucks a week on milk....geez.....

right at that in Aransas Pass...so, what's the deal...are the cows happier in the Austin area???;)

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
right at that in Aransas Pass...so, what's the deal...are the cows happier in the Austin area???;)

cost of production and shipping....my guess anyway.

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
cost of production and shipping....my guess anyway.

probably a portion of the difference, plus populations and competition among retailers. Down here you have HEB and Walmart...unless I am forgetting someone...

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 02:21 PM
i know it would annoy alot of people, but if the government "had" to get involved, they could lower the speed limits back to 55 mph. in the grand scheme of things, i bet consumption would drop quick. booooooooooo:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
booooooooooo:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
maybe, but would it work??

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 02:38 PM
It might work, but look at the congestion in could cause buy going slower.:nerd:

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:40 PM

I pay $2.85 a gal. 5 or 6 years ago, my stepson was living with us. Between the 4 boys, not including hubby & I, I was spending around $125/month on milk. Sadly, driving to the office & back (75 miles round trip) every day, I was spending less for gas.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:44 PM

liquid prices (http://www.cockeyed.com/science/gallon/liquid.html)
who would have guessed scorpion venom costs so much?

Well, just think about it for a sec.....just how many scorpions would have to be "milked" to get a gallon of venom. :eek:

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Well, just think about it for a sec.....just how many scorpions would have to be "milked" to get a gallon of venom. :eek:
not a pretty thought LHPM, not pretty at all:eek:

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
It might work, but look at the congestion in could cause buy going slower.:nerd:
how would there be congestion if everyone slows down? speed limits used to be 55 just 10 or 11 years ago

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
not a pretty thought LHPM, not pretty at all:eek:

The price of scorpion venom isn't really due to the number of scorpions it would take, but rather the exhorbitant salary the milkers would demand. :D

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:54 PM
The price of scorpion venom isn't really due to the number of scorpions it would take, but rather the exhorbitant salary the milkers would demand. :D
still sickend by the thought of lactating scorpions:eek:

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:57 PM
still sickend by the thought of lactating scorpions:eek:

:doh: Ewwwww!!!!! I didn't think about "lactating"...that really is disgusting. I was thinking more along the lines of the method a rattle snake is milked.

Regardless, the cost of gas is sounding better all the time. ;)

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:59 PM

LOL...definitely a case of receiving "hazard pay" :D

p.s. ya'll are gross!:D

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:03 PM
:doh: Ewwwww!!!!! I didn't think about "lactating"...that really is disgusting. I was thinking more along the lines of the method a rattle snake is milked.

Regardless, the cost of gas is sounding better all the time. ;)
me too, but when you threw in that "milking" word, it gave me an ugly image there for a second

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 03:05 PM
how would there be congestion if everyone slows down? speed limits used to be 55 just 10 or 11 years ago Trust me. Not everyone will slow down. Then you get more accidents. Thus, more congestion.

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 03:10 PM
so do scorpions have nipples?

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Trust me. Not everyone will slow down. Then you get more accidents. Thus, more congestion.
no more than we have already.

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
yikes. i dont want to know.

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Off went the alarm! R80 wins "Strangest question of the day" award.....

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
LOL...G2 is gonna kick himself for not thinking that one up.

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 03:16 PM
no more than we have already. Honestly, I'm just looking for any excuse to keep the speed limits where they are.;)

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Honestly, I'm just looking for any excuse to keep the speed limits where they are.;)
me too, but unfortunately my wallet says otherwise:(

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
not saying we should change the speed limit, but my dad always said the faster you drive the more money it costs....

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Anyone that wants to conserve has the right to drive slower. Just make sure you do it in the right hand lane.:D

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

LOL

http://img194.echo.cx/img194/3930/smiley0130zm.gif

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
not saying we should change the speed limit, but my dad always said the faster you drive the more money it costs....

Ol' dad knows that fast driving can have a lot of personal and monetary penalties associated with it other than just losses from tickets, R80. :D

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Anyone that wants to conserve has the right to drive slower. Just make sure you do it in the right hand lane.:D
the idea is to get the oil companies to charge less. if consumption goes down the price will go down. sure you can save a few bucks by driving slower, but the big differences will come if at the very least, the government would threaten the oil companies of a lower speed limit unless something is done about the fuel prices. i have no idea if it would work, i was jsut brainstorming of ways to get fuel prices lower.

espn1
04-15-2005, 03:32 PM
still sickend by the thought of lactating scorpions:eek: It scares me more to think about poison flying out of cow a$$e$.:D :D :D

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by espn1
It scares me more to think about poison flying out of cow a$$e$.:D :D :D

It would seem that R80 may have some competition......

espn1
04-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Naaaaaa! :) or should it be NOT! :D A friend and myself discussed this very topic about a year ago we saw it coming. We all need to band together and elect Independents. Because neither of the traditional Parties have our best inerest in mind. Buck the Electoral College! I say screw the donkeys and elephants.:mad: :mad: :mad:

pirate44
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I say screw the donkeys and elephants.:mad: :mad: :mad:
i didnt think this was a thread about aggies. lets get back to the topic of fuel prices:D

just kidding folks.;)

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 03:42 PM
i didnt think this was a thread about aggies. lets get back to the topic of fuel prices:D

just kidding folks.;)

Hunker Down, 44'.......

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 03:43 PM
A friend and myself discussed this very topic about a year ago we saw it coming. We all need to band together and elect Independents. Because neither of the traditional Parties have our best inerest in mind. Buck the Electoral College! I say screw the donkeys and elephants.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Someone is feeling feisty today...:D

slpybear the bullfan
04-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Gas prices never have bothered me much. We pay an extra $20 or $30 a month, people complain, but I never hear of anyone adjusting their driving habits or selling cars... It is just one of those things that I think is relative to the US, but in the big scheme of things is small potatoes.

For comparison, how about what they pay in Europe.. $5.50 a gallon!

link to world gas prices (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html)

District303aPastPlayer
04-15-2005, 11:55 PM
there are times when you can get a gallon of milk for 99 cents at HEB in sinton.... if the milk expires 2 days from today... it will be on sale today and tomorrow for 99 cents... get what im sayin?

TOPS1435
04-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for a dose of reality, Slpybear!

In the 70s, double nickle and more efficient cars, carpooling, etc, did help reduce traffic jams, fatalities, and ultimately the gas prices somewhat.

The prices had started at $0.35 and went to $1. Many called it a conspiracy and stock prices for oil companies plummeted. However, it was OPEC not the oil companies which started things.

Since then, the gas prices have fluctuated some, but never back to $.35.

Europe was higher then and is higher now.

Complain all you want, but part of the problem is the lack of new refineries and CHINA.

How many of you have things made in China? All of us! and those factories need energy just like our cars.

Y'alls theory about price and demand is good, but what every we do does not change the growth of demand in China and India with no increase in refinery capacity.

PhiI C
04-16-2005, 09:02 AM
I never have believed that blame the OPEC thing.

PhiI C
04-16-2005, 09:05 AM
and comparing our prices with other countries doesn't work either. I had to once spend $60 to repair my car which seemed high and they said I was lucky because the last customer had to spend $85 to have his car fixed - sort of like that was to make me smile and pull the money out of my wallet and say well here is the $60.

slpybear the bullfan
04-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Comparing our prices with other countries is entirely appropriate, Phil. Its called COST OF LIVING.

Just compare prices within different states and salaries with different states. Prices and salaries don't adjust at teh same rates... hence, you pay less for commodities here in TX than you will other places... like Cal or Conn.

I DO NOT subscribe to the big Conspiracy of Oil Producers theory. The price of Gasoline is almost evenly distributed between Refinery and Production Costs, Crude Oil Costs, and Government Taxes - National and our STATE.

Another random thought... inflation is a common factor of economic life. If 2~3% inflation is common then gas that cost 1.80 last year should cost 1.86 this year... with no other factors involved. Over five years you will pay more than an extra quarter a gallon for no other reason than our whole economic model shifted upward 3%. And that is before production boom or busts, new taxes for highways, etc.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want to pay an extra cent that I don't have to. I just get tickled to be at the pump and see my friends and I fillup up our pickups and surburbans and complain that the normal $35 fillup is now $40 or $45... LOL. We are waaaayyyy blessed as a country.

espn1
04-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I couldn't disagree more! But then again this is a quick answer board and I don't have time to write a dissertation.I disagree (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/) (I agree with alot of this).

slpybear the bullfan
04-16-2005, 02:35 PM
interesting link, but I will agree to disagree with you ESPN1.

another side to read (http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv27n1/v27n1-1.pdf)

My family has been in the oil business since before I was born and we have debated this for years, and years, and years... I don't say that to sound condescending, just to say that I am very educated on this subject.

espn1
04-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Sounds good to me.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TOPS1435
04-16-2005, 04:45 PM
What about adding $0.25 per gallon for schools? Wouldn't that do wonders for both the enviroment and property taxes?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Comparing our prices with other countries is entirely appropriate, Phil. Its called COST OF LIVING.

Just compare prices within different states and salaries with different states. Prices and salaries don't adjust at teh same rates... hence, you pay less for commodities here in TX than you will other places... like Cal or Conn.

I DO NOT subscribe to the big Conspiracy of Oil Producers theory. The price of Gasoline is almost evenly distributed between Refinery and Production Costs, Crude Oil Costs, and Government Taxes - National and our STATE.

Another random thought... inflation is a common factor of economic life. If 2~3% inflation is common then gas that cost 1.80 last year should cost 1.86 this year... with no other factors involved. Over five years you will pay more than an extra quarter a gallon for no other reason than our whole economic model shifted upward 3%. And that is before production boom or busts, new taxes for highways, etc.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want to pay an extra cent that I don't have to. I just get tickled to be at the pump and see my friends and I fillup up our pickups and surburbans and complain that the normal $35 fillup is now $40 or $45... LOL. We are waaaayyyy blessed as a country.

How is comparing the price of gasoline to other countries appropriate? Do we raise our price of gas just because the gas in Europe is $5.50? The answer is no. That does not explain how the price of gas has jumped from $1.75 a gallon to $2.15 a gallon, and we should not be focusing on what the price of gasoline in other countries is because it is totally irrelevant. If you are content to pay $5.00 a gallon for gasoline just so as long as you don't have to pay the $5.50 a gallon in Europe, then there is something wrong with you. The bottom line and the issue is that gas is rapidly increasing, and for reasons that I do not fully understand. Since you are so knowledgeable about the gasoline industry, and don't buy into Conspiracy of Oil Producers, and think that the prices are just and evenly distributed between production and refinery costs, then why is diesel more expensive than regular unleaded? I know I have said this before, but how is this possible, whenever you have to refine diesel to get gasoline? Doesn't that mean that gasoline should be more expensive because you have to refine the diesel further, which translates to more manpower and labor? The bottom line is that it diesel costs more than gasoline because the oil companies can set the price of diesel high because they know that people will have to buy it. It is the same thing for gasoline. Oil companies are going to squeeze every penny out of Americans because they know that we have no other choice but to buy it and there is nothing that we can do about it. That's just the way that it is, you don't have to agree with me, but it's just the way I see it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Does anybody have any input on this?

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Does anybody have any input on this?

Cost of living increases affect every single business. I personally do not want to work for the same amount of money that I worked for in 1977 or even 1997. I'm sure the roughnecks, the people that work in the refineries or even in the place you purchase gas feel the same.

No, I don't like paying $2.00 and over for a gallon of gas. But, in 1979 when gas hit $1.00/gal it affected me a whole lot more than it does now. That was when I first moved out on my own, got my first real job, and it paid $137 a week. $1.00/gallon increase in 26 years is much less increase than many other things that I buy regularly.

Now, here's a question for you. Does it bother you that when a rancher takes a head of cattle to sale, a "good" price is $.59 per pound? However, when I go to the store to buy a pound of hamburger meat, it costs me $2.59-$3.09.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-17-2005, 08:37 PM
It's the same thing as the milk...it's inflation, and before you say it's the gasoline, the inflation did not cause a $.30 increase in gasoline in a two week time span.

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Figures are from March, 2004 - DOE.

Federal, State, and local taxes are a large component of the retail price of gasoline - approximately 21%; refining costs is about 19% of the retail price of gasoline; distribution & marketing - 6% and price of the crude oil itself approximately 54%.

BBDE, you've used a comparison of gasoline to diesel.

Taxes on diesel are 23%, refining costs 21%, distribution & market are 6% and price of crude oil is at 50%.

slpybear the bullfan
04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
BBDE,

My email said that inflation is just one factor that affects the price of gas, (or Diesel). It isn't the only one. This is not a simple argument where oil companies want to make more money so they raise gas prices. They are greedy SOBs and want to make their pile as big as possible... but it ain't that simple.

You suggest that Diesel prices are evidence that something is fishy because of a rapid change in prices and that refineries should be able to make it cheaper than gasoline.

No. That absolutely doesn't have to be true. Diesel is not the "source" of gasoline... that would be crude oil. Here is a simple site that explains refining.

refining (http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfacts/sources/non-renewable/refinery.html)

Refineries get all the orders for various petrochems in advance. As market conditions change, supplies ebb and flow, and crude changes, then refineries change production to accomodate. There isn't a big switch that gets thrown to change instantly. The bottom line on refining is that it is a big commodity business, it is subject to the same laws of economics as every other business, and the owners will try and make big dollars like everyone else.

I am going to exit this one, because it will be a major tired-head.

I leave with my opinoins ;) )

1.) The price of gasoline will elicit MAJOR reaction from everyone but most people will do nothing different because of it. Fill up the pickup and boat, complain about it at the pump, then head to the lake.

2.) Of those folks raising holy heck about gas prices... most won't gripe as much about their 20% increase in health care premiums each year.

3.) There are many, many different factors that can cause gas prices to jump substantially in a week or two. Most folks will blame it all on price gouging by the big oil companies... or the illuminatti! ;)

4.) Some people will not get my comments about our we in our state being blessed when comparing cost of living elsewhere. If you are interested in trying to "get" my point of bringing it up... think THANKSGIVING.

PLEASE BRING ON FOOTBALL SOON!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I have a reply, but I haven't the time. I'll try to get back to you on this one tomorrow.....And yes, bring on some football.