PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A Program of All Time

LeonJr
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Man, great topic

mwynn05
04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Why is Celina in the poll, for as far as I can remember they have been 2a all but two years? And how can you include China Spring but not Sealy, you know the team that owned the 90's!

pirate44
04-15-2005, 12:31 PM
hasnt this been done a time or two? either way its a good conversation starter.

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 12:34 PM
i am not even voting...too many teams on there that dont deserve to be, and too many left off that do.

why is marlin even on the list. they wouldnt even be in the top 20.

Gobbla2001
04-15-2005, 12:49 PM
You have to include Daingerfield, tough year in year out, they go through a series of Yo-Yo's here and there, but it evens out...

Sealy - Best program of the 90's, 4 championships in a row to wrap up 3A's single division playoff format, and a return in '99 in a loss to Commerce... but before that, 2A was their grounds...

This is kind of a tough subject.... being from Cuero, I have researched it a few times....

Cuero went to state in 70, won in 73 and 74 and lost in 75 in 3A...

However, a lot of people call 3A back then 'the old 4A', that's a huge arguement... I forget which year, I believe in the late 70's, a realignment pushed a great majority of those 3A teams into 4A, including Cuero (we stayed in 4A for two years, 3A ever since)...

Since then, Cuero has been to state 6 times in the 'current' 3A if you will...

I've always been stuck in between Cuero and Daingerfield on this one...

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
What about Breckenridge. They have won like 5 state titles. and usually field a pretty good team. Has Marlin even won a state title?

Not aimed at you Gobbla, just curious how there are so many teams left off, and there are teams on the list that dont belong there.

pero chato
04-15-2005, 12:58 PM
I voted for Cuero since the subject is "all time best." But surely Sealy, Daingerfield, Breckenridge and Ballinger should be included. Thanks for the Wylie mention, but we don't quite have the history of the ones I mentioned.

Gobbla2001
04-15-2005, 01:02 PM
80 - I meant to mention Breck... but that goes back to the 'old 4A' arguement I guess...

So I guess the proper way to figure this 'mess' out is to do a poll asking everyone's opinion on 3A starting after that realigment or 3A as long as it's been 3A...

Another thing about Sealy... In 3A they've dominated with 1 coach, Mills... So that would have to be on of the all time 'coaching' programs...

But teams like Cuero (find 'em, this is an interesting arguement) has had 5 diff coaches take them to state...

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Southlake Caroll during their 3A years. Sealy had a run in the 90's, also. Breckenridge in the early years.

GOFOR2
04-15-2005, 01:05 PM
i think we need to be a little objective when answering this poll.
i mean come on, Celina? how long were they in 3A. Lets be real about this. If you want to talk about consistency in all sports, all-time, you have to say Cuero.

rockdale80
04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
80 - I meant to mention Breck... but that goes back to the 'old 4A' arguement I guess...

So I guess the proper way to figure this 'mess' out is to do a poll asking everyone's opinion on 3A starting after that realigment or 3A as long as it's been 3A...

Another thing about Sealy... In 3A they've dominated with 1 coach, Mills... So that would have to be on of the all time 'coaching' programs...

But teams like Cuero (find 'em, this is an interesting arguement) has had 5 diff coaches take them to state...

my take on it is there have been several very succesful teams throughout the years no matter how you look at alignment. personally i dont know who is the best overall, because there are so many factors that arent clear. what would you base it on? state championships, playoff appearances, district titles......?? my point is there are teams that are on the list that dont deserve to be.

Bullaholic
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Another note. If the scope of this poll pertains to football only, then we will have one list. If the scope pertains to best program inclusive of all sports, then we will have another.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Another note. If the scope of this poll pertains to football only, then we will have one list. If the scope pertains to best program inclusive of all sports, then we will have another.

Isn't that the truth! Some towns have extremely strong girls sports year in & year out (Wimberley for ex.) but while the boys teams may compete in district, outside they do very little. And for the record, I am not downing the Wimberley boys one bit, just thinking about their volleyball.

big daddy russ
04-15-2005, 02:32 PM
First off, how do you define a 3A team? Seems easy enough, but is it a team that's 3A right now, a team that built a history in 3A but is now in a different classification (SLC and Crane are two great examples)? Or something entirely different?

I think you have to include Commerce, Sealy, Vernon, Hondo, Pittsburg, Sweeny, Cameron Yoe, Daingerfield, Atlanta and Breckenridge on the list. Maybe even Liberty-Eylau, Mexia, Giddings and Medina Valley.

If you're just looking at teams in 3A right now, Jasper and WO-S could also be included.

Gobbla2001
04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Yah, left out ole Sweeny and Vernon...

I always thought '3A meant 3A'...

but I was puzzled when I stumbled across a site saying that Sealy had the most state championship appearances in 'one classification' with 5 ('94-97, '99)...

I kept thinking, "Wait, we have 9 ('70, '73-'75, '85-'87, '93 and '98 at the time)..."

So I began asking around, and they said that around the late 70's or in 1980 (I forget which one) that most of the schools under the class of '3A' were shipped to 4A (I forget why this even happened etc..., just going by what I was told)... So it all added up... 'cept for the fact that even with us getting those 4 in the '70's, that Cuero still had 5 in the 'current' 3A (now 6, so that should be changed)...

Interesting to discuss...

Say we consider that 3A as the 'Old 4A' counts as 3A, that would put Brownwood at around the same spot as Sealy (minus 4 in a row), should we put them on the list for decade dominance?

Holmes_Fans
04-15-2005, 05:18 PM
You could add Forney to that list

GreenMonster
04-15-2005, 05:55 PM
you guys also have left out Southlake Carroll. They were a 3A powerhouse in the late 80's and early 90's.

Gobbla2001
04-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
you guys also have left out Southlake Carroll. They were a 3A powerhouse in the late 80's and early 90's.

Best program to ever grace 3A with its presence? Could be...

Best 3A program of all-time? As you said, late 80's, early 90's... that is not even 10 years ha...

That is assuming most people think of a program as a 'start to finish' type deal, regardless of class...

big daddy russ
04-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Best program to ever grace 3A with its presence? Could be...

Best 3A program of all-time? As you said, late 80's, early 90's... that is not even 10 years ha...

That is assuming most people think of a program as a 'start to finish' type deal, regardless of class...
As far as longevity goes, I'd say Hondo probably has more tradition even without a state title. There are some programs that have some good runs (i.e. Bandera and Mathis from 1998-2002) but aren't what I'd necessarily consider tradition-rich programs.