PDA

View Full Version : Corpus Christi Moody's Castillo to coach minor league Aviators

pirate44
04-15-2005, 11:54 AM
he has a great baseball mind and the Aviators got 'em a good one. but i hope he's ready for an early retirement because with the new Corpus Christi Hooks, i can see the Coastal Bend Aviators folding soon.

CORPUS CHRISTI - Steve Castillo is moving up the coaching ranks. He's leaving Moody, and heading to the Aviators. The team Thursday announced Castillo will join the staff, beginning with the opening of spring training on April 25th.

Castillo will be the bench coach. After spending 29 years in high school, he says he's anxious to learn more about the game with skipper Murray Wilson. Castillo likes Wilson's style of play. He doesn't think he'll have to coach any differently with the Aviators.

"No, I've always been a guy, you know, these guys have been drafted before, so they know how to play the game. Sometimes it's just a little tweak here, a little tweak there, or a little timing device, timing thing when it comes to hitting, and maybe I can help them out in that aspect or the mental part of the game," Castillo said.

Castillo will be there for spring training, and the entire season, at home and on the road. He looks at this as a start as he embarks on a new career in pro ball.

Phil C
04-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Hooray!!

pirate44
04-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey Phil C,
do you reckon the hiring was a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and eventual demise of the Aviators team? maybe a way to get more Corpus Christi baseball fans out to Robstown? we all know what a following the Moody baseball team has. i dont think itll work, if that is the case.

Phil C
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know Pirate. I hope Corpus Christi and the area can support the two baseball teams. What we need now is to have a new football stadium in Corpus Christi. Oh and a good softball stadium would be nice too. :)

pirate44
04-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't know Pirate. I hope Corpus Christi and the area can support the two baseball teams. What we need now is to have a new football stadium in Corpus Christi. Oh and a good softball stadium would be nice too. :)
id like to see some of that indoor football in the new arena. it looks like alot of excitement.

District303aPastPlayer
04-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
id like to see some of that indoor football in the new arena. it looks like alot of excitement.

i HIGHLY recommend that you go to a Hammerheads game. They are sooooo much fun... Monday is Hammerhead Cheerleader Poster night.

The next home games are as follows:
Monday April 18: CC vs. Odessa Roughnecks (Cheerleader Poster Night)
Sunday May 1: CC vs Beaumont Drillers (Team Poster Night)
Sunday May 22: CC vs Tri-Cities Fever (Team Trading Card Night)
Saturday June 4: CC vs. SW Louisiana Swashbucklers (Mini Football Night)
Saturday June 25: CC vs. Fayetville Guard (Hammerhead Beanie Night)

those are the remaining home games. they are very fun... and its always great to see local stars like Martin Dawsett and Fred Wallace play too :)

District303aPastPlayer
04-16-2005, 12:27 AM
wait, so he is leaving after the baseball season ends?