PDA

View Full Version : UIL Steroid Testing

Bullaholic
04-14-2005, 10:43 AM
The UIL is currently evaluating implementing mandatory steroid testing for all Texas student athletes because of the recent "flurry" of steroid use admissions. How do you feel about mandatory testing?

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Works for me ... we already drug test and have standardized dress. I think both are extremely positive moves on behalf of APISD.:thumbsup:

pirate44
04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
how can the schools afford this. seems like theyre barely getting by as it is.

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
I think of it as "prioritizing" ... the health and well-being (physical and mental) of our students should always come first.

pirate44
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I think of it as "prioritizing" ... the health and well-being (physical and mental) of our students should always come first.
how much does the test cost? maybe you can require players to provide their own. kind of like athletic physicals

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
how much does the test cost? maybe you can require players to provide their own. kind of like athletic physicals

I can't recall off-hand, but the school district should pay in my opinion and it must be done randomly.

Trust me, as your son gets older you will share my belief. We as parents get stuck footing the bill for alot throughout the school year. Many families are less fortunate and truly struggle.

pirate44
04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
I can't recall off-hand, but the school district should pay in my opinion and it must be done randomly.

Trust me, as your son gets older you will share my belief. We as parents get stuck footing the bill for alot throughout the school year. Many families are less fortunate and truly struggle.
in the long run the tax payers will pay for it. and the smaller schools will hurt. im entering my son in the NBA draft in Jr. high, so i dont have to worry with it.

CheerMom
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I think it is an excellant idea!!

raider red 2000
04-14-2005, 01:14 PM
are they just testing for steroids?

why not pot or meth or X or that other junk?

we all know random isnt really random....if coaches choose random....will the studs be chosen?

are we going to test all kids walking the halls? why not?

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
are they just testing for steroids?

why not pot or meth or X or that other junk?

we all know random isnt really random....if coaches choose random....will the studs be chosen?

are we going to test all kids walking the halls? why not?

In AP they test for "street drugs," alcohol, tobacco and steriods. The students that participate in any extra-curricular activities are subject to random testing. So, whether you do play sports or compete in One Act Play, NJROTC, Band, etc....you are subject to testing. Athletes are tested just like the others...my son has been tested several times and he only plays football and baseball (I wish he was more into the UIL academic competitions).

As to why not test everyone, that is a very good question that I can't answer.:thinking:

CHS_Grad '85
04-15-2005, 01:36 PM
UIL Takes No Action On Statewide Steroid Testing

Thu Apr 14, 5:03 PM ET

A University Interscholastic League panel has withheld a recommendation on mandatory statewide steroid testing for high school students. The advisory panel cited potentially high costs for school districts and a reluctance to wrest control from local officials for its refusal. Policy makers from the state Capitol to the UIL have discussed the possibility of statewide tests for high school athletes. That's in the wake of congressional hearings into the performance-enhancing drugs and revelations of its use by students at Colleyville Heritage High School. The panel couldn't set policy by itself, but its recommendation would likely carry some influence with the U-I-L's rule-making Legislative Council, which meets in June.

Black_Magic
04-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I think of it as "prioritizing" ... the health and well-being (physical and mental) of our students should always come first. Yep , sounds good to me too AFTER we have the funds to test the students for drugs like cocaine and other ilegal drugs of that sort. if we have the money to test for steroids too after that, it will be great. But First things first. Lets not spend money to kill an infestation of ticks in the back yard while we let cockroaches run crazy in our houses.....

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
But First things first. Lets not spend money to kill an infestation of ticks in the back yard while we let cockroaches run crazy in our houses.....

I agree, but you have to start somewhere... :)

Black_Magic
04-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I agree, but you have to start somewhere... :) Good ! if it costs $60 to kill cockroaches and $40 to kill the ticks and you only have $70 then you better kill the roaches first.:rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
04-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Good ! if it costs $60 to kill cockroaches and $40 to kill the ticks and you only have $70 then you better kill the roaches first.:rolleyes:

or you can just sit on your butt, save the $70.00, do nothing and have the roaches and ticks....:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2005, 02:55 PM
or you can just sit on your butt, save the $70.00, do nothing and have the roaches and ticks....:rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap: