PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Qualities of a Winning HS Team

Bullaholic
04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I would like to know how you rank the following qualities in their contribution to a winning high school football team:

Here's my thoughts:

1. Coaching
2. Physical Conditioning
3. Fan Support
4. Parental Support
5. Spirit
6. Player Intelligence
7. Tradition

I think a winning program has to have all of these qualities. Do you think there is any (1) quality that gives a team an advantage over an opponent that is lacking in that quality in the outcome of a game?

CheerMom
04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Looks good to me, and of course, luck always plays a role.

15portsfan
04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
doesnt hurt to have an athlete 6-2 225 with 4-3 4-4 speed.You could do away with most the list and just hand him the ball and point to the endzone.

Balboa
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Where is the Quality Admin. ... good Admin goes a long way.

Adidas410s
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I would take spirit and chunk it out the window. The spirit of Texas HS Football is there for every team come August 1 whether you play for Whitesboro or Southlake Carroll. Here is how I would rank mine:

1. Coaching...offense and defense may win games and championships, but without the coaches there to create the strategy and properly implement them at the right times every play of every game...you are NOTHING!!!
2. Talent...this can include conditioning, intelligence, and God-given ability. You dont have to have the best players to win, but you have to have SOME talent to go all the way.
3. Tradition...under this catagory I am lumping the past results of the school along with support from students, parents, community, etc. Take a look at Permian and you can see the effects of what happens to a program when the tradition kills a program because of the mentality that is taken up by outside forces and it will push a great program "over the edge" and back to mediocrity.

Bullaholic
04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Balboa
Where is the Quality Admin. ... good Admin goes a long way.

Balboa, other qualities may be added to the list. Just rank all of them in order of importance to the program.

TheDOCTORdre
04-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Where is fate, something you just have no control over live someone gets hurt and completely changes the look of your team, or someone moves in the middle of the season due to a parents job, these things can play a big role in a teams success

Adidas410s
04-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Where is fate, something you just have no control over live someone gets hurt and completely changes the look of your team, or someone moves in the middle of the season due to a parents job, these things can play a big role in a teams success

Case in point...look at Wylie last fall. Their top CB breaks his leg against Canyon and now our secondary that was ripped a new one by Decatur the 1st time looks even worse for the rematch but then players who dont even play defense step up and make HUGE plays for the team to secure the victory...and the rest is history! :D

big daddy russ
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I think coaching and community support play the two biggest roles, but there's also an old saying that's true of the GREAT teams.... it's the Jimmies and the Joes, not the X's and the O's.

CRHSeagle
04-14-2005, 04:14 PM
What about your home field. Some places are just intimidating to play at and that could make for some lopsided scores. Its not top 5 but its still a good quality to have.

rockdale80
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
i say camaraderie is one of the biggest factors.