PDA

View Full Version : A question for The University of Texas

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Why do you call yourself THE University of Texas?

jason
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Prolly because the university is located not too far from 'THE' Capitol of Texas.....

Or maybe because those guys from College Station didn't think of it first?

If the name's not taking, what is the problem with using it?

It's like a hitchhiker trying to hitchike....

He looks up too late and misses thumbing down an 18-wheeler, but the guy down the road lucks out and gets it to pull over...

The first guys asks 'why oh why did he get him to stop'...

Because the second guy was smart and used his brain and thumb...

Rockdale Tiger
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
because it is the University of Texas, what else do you call it? IDIOT!

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
In 1871 the legislature established the Texas A&M College, but the university was still postponed. The Constitution of 1876qv specified that the legislature, as soon as practicable, was to establish, organize, and provide for the maintenance and support of a "university of the first class" to be located by vote of the people and styled the University of Texas, for promotion of the study of literature and the arts and sciences. An agricultural and mechanical branch was mandated. The same article (7) of the constitution made A&M a branch of the university

Thats why....there you go...so call us UT...not TU...thats tulane university.

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Texas A&M, the state’s first public institution of higher education, was opened on Oct. 4, 1876 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. The school owes its origin to the Morrill Act of 1862, which established the nation’s land-grant college system.

In 1963, the name of the institution was changed to Texas A&M University to more accurately reflect its expanding role as a leader in teaching, research, and public service for the state, nation and world. The initials "A" and "M" are a link to the university’s past; they no longer represent any specific words as the school’s curriculum has grown to include not only agriculture and engineering, but architecture, business, education, geosciences, liberal arts, medicine, science, and veterinary medicine.

lepfan
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't see any other states whining about that...

the University of Oklahoma
the University of Alabama
the University of New Mexico....etc, etc, etc......

No one has a problem with it but a select few....

Get over your insecurities....it is not a personal stab at A & M.....

It is UT not TU just like it is A & M not M & A

Send me your address....You really need a BIG block of cheese with that WhINE....
:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Texas A&M, the state’s first public institution of higher education, was opened on Oct. 4, 1876 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. The school owes its origin to the Morrill Act of 1862, which established the nation’s land-grant college system.

In 1963, the name of the institution was changed to Texas A&M University to more accurately reflect its expanding role as a leader in teaching, research, and public service for the state, nation and world. The initials "A" and "M" are a link to the university’s past; they no longer represent any specific words as the school’s curriculum has grown to include not only agriculture and engineering, but architecture, business, education, geosciences, liberal arts, medicine, science, and veterinary medicine.

A little footnote:

"But sat on their butts and did not chose the name University of Texas, and now gripe about it constantly"...

rockdale80
04-13-2005, 10:31 PM
How many times do you have to ask that question? This is really old.

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
The initials "A" and "M" are a link to the university’s past; they no longer represent any specific words as the school’s curriculum has grown to include not only agriculture and engineering, but architecture, business, education, geosciences, liberal arts, medicine, science, and veterinary medicine.

I dont care what you are now, the point is.....what is now Texas A&M university...WAS the aggriculture and mechanical branch of THE univerity of Texas...which was yet to be built...they just wanted to go ahead and build the A&M site first.

And besides...it would be bad grammar to say "i go to university of texas". So get over it...there is no conspiracy against A&M.

Bandera YaYa
04-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
How many times do you have to ask that question? This is really old. ...ha...you know those obnoxious kids that do stuff, just to get attention...????? Of course most outgrow it by college! :rolleyes: :D

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:43 PM
i get tired of defending my school...you think we are a bunch of backwoods boys that go to school with skoal cans and hangovers and straw on mouths....how wrong you are

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:43 PM
i can't help it your university doesn't have as much pride as mine does

or they fact that they suck period

Gobbla2001
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
I have friends that go to A&M, they're not backwoods at all...

One thing is for sure, they aren't talkin' bout some General Dog....

lepfan
04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I have a friend who is a professor at A & M.....(but he is not a dedicated Aggie....he loves OU ....he just can't let EVERYONE know that)

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
i can't help it your university doesn't have as much pride as mine does

or they fact that they suck period

Where's your Rose Bowl trophy??

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
where's your stud recruiting class because of it?

where's perriloux?

where's martellus bennett?

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I have friends that go to A&M, they're not backwoods at all...

One thing is for sure, they aren't talkin' bout some General Dog....

i think the dog is cute, but i don't worship him, i think he's a cool little thing to have, but he's not what defines this school

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
i get tired of defending my school

Im sure you do...but maybe you wouldnt have to if you didnt go asking outlandish questions and making 'ignorent backwoods' comments.

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
as you should refrain from doing the same

jason
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
i think the dog is cute, but i don't worship him, i think he's a cool little thing to have, but he's not what defines this school i thought it was a she

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
i think the dog is cute, but i don't worship him, i think he's a cool little thing to have, but he's not what defines this school ...come, come aggie john.....not two min. ago you were saying all these wonderful things and traditions about him.

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 11:02 PM
no i was giving you a history, there's a difference

JHS_c/o_06'
04-13-2005, 11:11 PM
no i was giving you a history, there's a difference

Ok man...i guess ill give ya that one.

NHSRattler60
04-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Actually, it is a SHE. And its stupid to have "IF THE DOG BARKS, WE GET OUT OF CLASS ERRRRRR"

UT was infact, established before A&M and its "Texas Agricultural and Mechanics University." My sister and he boyfriend both went and have finished and even they know that.

AggieJohn
04-13-2005, 11:49 PM
i was at a game one time watching her come in, and she had to go poop, so all the CT's fro her outfit created a wall so that she could poop in private...it's nuts

Hupernikomen
04-14-2005, 01:42 AM
As a professor, who daughter attended Aggieland, said "Texas A&M is a cult experience."

What explayer calls pride is just a nice way of putting it. What it really is is brainwashing. I guess some people are looking for something to belong to and many find it in college station. Aggies are so over the top it makes it hard for me to be around them. But I still cheer them on because I like to see Texas boys do well.

Pride is one's school is fine, having class is something totally different.

AggieJohn
04-14-2005, 01:47 AM
who's explayer?

District303aPastPlayer
04-14-2005, 02:06 AM
who's explayer?

i believe you are explayer2001

AggieJohn
04-14-2005, 03:05 AM
well this explayer fellow must of caused a huge stir on the board

AggieJohn
04-14-2005, 03:18 AM
and for those that say oklahoma is t.u.'s rival, were you saying that in the early 80's to mid ninties when your onlly win came in 90?

it's a roller coaster, ask old army or any texas ex and they will tell you that it is that one game that they looked forward too

KTJ
04-14-2005, 04:00 AM
This coming from a student who actually attends this school. And from talks with many alums....our rival is OU.

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
As a professor, who daughter attended Aggieland, said "Texas A&M is a cult experience."

What explayer calls pride is just a nice way of putting it. What it really is is brainwashing.

Hup, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Fish camp of most universities consists of learning about the school and what the students take pride in. Fish camp at TAMU, on the other hand, is partially about teaching the newbies why they should hate the other schools, what is "bad" with them & the correct "names" to call the other schools to tick them off. Does anyone but me find that odd?

AggieJohn
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
LH MOM, your right A&M is a brain washing experience to about 2000 of the 44,000 students.....we non-regs enjoy the traditions but don't get as hyped up about them as those 2000 corps students. Fish Camp is actually one thing i don't really support. I would honestly say that if you don't have want to send your kid to that, then don't. It's not worth much in my opinion.

big daddy russ
04-14-2005, 08:24 AM
LH MOM, your right A&M is a brain washing experience to about 2000 of the 44,000 students.....we non-regs enjoy the traditions but don't get as hyped up about them as those 2000 corps students. Fish Camp is actually one thing i don't really support. I would honestly say that if you don't have want to send your kid to that, then don't. It's not worth much in my opinion.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa..... I love rivalries (especially UT/A&M... and yes it is a rivalry as proved the past couple of days) and I HATE ALABAMA with a passion. I'll be damned before someone else tells me it's childish to hate another school. I bet there are plenty of 75 year-old men out there who hate other schools just as much as this 25 year-old and just as much as any 15 year-old. OKLAHOMA HATES UT whether they admit it or not and UT HATES OU just as much... and from what I can gather from what's been posted the past couple of days a lot of people HATE TEXAS A&M. Most people on the board, it seems. And then they say it's childish to hate. Well give me Fish Camp, give me tradition and give me a Dog who can get me the hell out of class, because last I checked I can still hate something and not be thrown in jail for it.

I'll stick up for A&M and all their "stupid traditions" any day of the week because those "stupid traditions" breed students who actually give a damn about their teams. I remember touring the UT campus back in the fall of 1997 (the beginning of the Mack Brown era, end of the Macovic era) and going to one of the football games. That was back when UT was still second fiddle to A&M in football, and DKR was only half full. They were a top-25 team all year long and the whole year before that and they couldn't seem to put people in the stands. Most schools are like that. It's apathy on the part of the fans.

In 2003 Texas A&M won only 4 games, but they averaged about 75,000 screaming fans. Even at their 8 losses.

Phil C
04-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I can see why some people get so upset. I get upset when they don't watch Dawn at Socorro when I keep reminding them when it is on and why they shouldn't miss it and why they should love it and ...................

lepfan
04-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
This coming from a student who actually attends this school. And from talks with many alums....our rival is OU.

Growing up I had only heard of the game with UT...never A & M...I do remember Aggie jokes and never could figure out what an aggie was (other than OSU people) THEN I heard of this place in Texas that had a place called A & M....

The UT OU rivalry is and always has been a wild one ;)

AggieJohn
04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa..... I love rivalries (especially UT/A&M... and yes it is a rivalry as proved the past couple of days) and I HATE ALABAMA with a passion. I'll be damned before someone else tells me it's childish to hate another school. I bet there are plenty of 75 year-old men out there who hate other schools just as much as this 25 year-old and just as much as any 15 year-old. OKLAHOMA HATES UT whether they admit it or not and UT HATES OU just as much... and from what I can gather from what's been posted the past couple of days a lot of people HATE TEXAS A&M. Most people on the board, it seems. And then they say it's childish to hate. Well give me Fish Camp, give me tradition and give me a Dog who can get me the hell out of class, because last I checked I can still hate something and not be thrown in jail for it.

I'll stick up for A&M and all their "stupid traditions" any day of the week because those "stupid traditions" breed students who actually give a damn about their teams. I remember touring the UT campus back in the fall of 1997 (the beginning of the Mack Brown era, end of the Macovic era) and going to one of the football games. That was back when UT was still second fiddle to A&M in football, and DKR was only half full. They were a top-25 team all year long and the whole year before that and they couldn't seem to put people in the stands. Most schools are like that. It's apathy on the part of the fans.

In 2003 Texas A&M won only 4 games, but they averaged about 75,000 screaming fans. Even at their 8 losses.

what's crazy russ is that we have a student section that is one of the largest in the nation 37000, and we get it filled to about the 35,000 or so mark at least every home game...now 35000 out of 42000 students going to the football games....that's not bad...

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM

I personally don't hate any of the schools. There are some schools that I do dislike more than others. 2 1/2 years ago, when my son was sending in college apps, the only 3 schools that he applied to were UT, A&M and Tech. I was disturbed at his desire to attend UT, as that was my last choice of the 3 for me for several reasons. Honestly, I think the only reason he applied to A&M or Tech was in case he was not accepted to UT, since he was not in the top 10% of his class.

It was not my decision as to where he attend college. I knew that with his choice of majors, he was limited to a handful of colleges in the state. Once he was accepted to all 3 and made his firm decision to attend UT, I asked him why he chose UT over A&M. His answer was that he wanted to accomplish what no one else in his class of 103 was going to do - be admitted to and graduate from the toughest state school to gain admittance to in the first place.

I'm not necessarily happy that he's a Longhorn, but I will always be proud & happy that he set such a high goal for himself and is in the process of accomplishing it.

Bandera YaYa
04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
what's crazy russ is that we have a student section that is one of the largest in the nation 37000, and we get it filled to about the 35,000 or so mark at least every home game...now 35000 out of 42000 students going to the football games....that's not bad... That's great and that's commendable.....but who the heck cares about this ouside College Station????? ....you and your meaningless numbers......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big daddy russ
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
That's great and that's commendable.....but who the heck cares about this ouside College Station????? ....you and your meaningless numbers......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I did. That's why I didn't go to UT.

Bandera YaYa
04-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I did. That's why I didn't go to UT. Well you made a great decision.....I'm sure you are exactly where you should be..... :cheerl: :cheerl: :wave:

Bulldog_12
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I personally don't hate any of the schools. There are some schools that I do dislike more than others. 2 1/2 years ago, when my son was sending in college apps, the only 3 schools that he applied to were UT, A&M and Tech. I was disturbed at his desire to attend UT, as that was my last choice of the 3 for me for several reasons. Honestly, I think the only reason he applied to A&M or Tech was in case he was not accepted to UT, since he was not in the top 10% of his class.

It was not my decision as to where he attend college. I knew that with his choice of majors, he was limited to a handful of colleges in the state. Once he was accepted to all 3 and made his firm decision to attend UT, I asked him why he chose UT over A&M. His answer was that he wanted to accomplish what no one else in his class of 103 was going to do - be admitted to and graduate from the toughest state school to gain admittance to in the first place.

I'm not necessarily happy that he's a Longhorn, but I will always be proud & happy that he set such a high goal for himself and is in the process of accomplishing it.

Phew, at least he didnt become a Techtard!

just joking lhpm!:D

KTJ
04-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I did. That's why I didn't go to UT.

What does going to UT have to do with what YaYa said?

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Phew, at least he didnt become a Techtard!

just joking lhpm!:D

:weeping: :weeping: Poor little red-headed step-children.

I could actually kick his behind over not choosing Tech & not for the reasons most of you will think. He would've had a "paid for" place to live - my grandmother's house - and Tech offered him $1,000/yr scholarship for all 4 years.

TMer25
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM

Well Mack Brown didn't arrive in Austin till December of 97, and since his arrival Texas has sold out 36 of 38 home games.

NSUTrumpet08
04-14-2005, 01:09 PM
wow...i only went to the college i'm attending only because they offered me a lot of scholarship money...

Phil C
04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
None of this has anything to do with Dawn at Socorro!

:D

JasperDog94
04-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Man. I'm gone for a couple of days and this starts up all over again. I'm kinda glad that I missed it. Same ol' same ol'.

Ag04
04-15-2005, 01:36 PM
I have been gone from here for a while now and from what I can tell, not much has changed. Here at Aggieland, we do take a lot of pride, tradition and whatever else you may like to call it in our school. And we are not offended......we are proud to be called an Aggie! I beg to differ when some say we are brainwashed...no we are more of a family who loves the school we have chosen to attend.
So basically the best way I can put it to everyone who truly enjoys the Aggie bashing on this website:

"Aggieland, from the inside looking out you cannot explain it and from the outside looking in you cannot understand it"

Rabbit'93
04-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Why are we talking about this AGAIN???:rolleyes: :(

Ag04
04-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I was stating how not much has changed....I have benn gone from here for a few months and simply had a reply.

Rabbit'93
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Ag04
I was stating how not much has changed....I have benn gone from here for a few months and simply had a reply.
Sorry Ag04 that wasn't directed twards you...just the whole mTa / TU thing.

g$$
04-17-2005, 05:16 AM
I have always wondered why the University of Oklahoma is always referred to as OU?? Is it just more convenient for athletics, etc. like a handle? Somebody clear that up please. I asked an OU grad this once & he said "I don't know."

lepfan
04-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I have always wondered why the University of Oklahoma is always referred to as OU??

No big thing not rocket science...

Because (back in the day) all of the big 8 teams were like osU, ksU, kU, cU, isU, nU, mU, is was just a continuity thing.

g$$
04-18-2005, 02:09 AM
That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. I had never thought about it matching up with the old Big 8 schools as you stated. Appreciate the help.

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 08:50 AM
they should call us UTAM

lepfan
04-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. I had never thought about it matching up with the old Big 8 schools as you stated. Appreciate the help.

no problem, glad to have had the chance to clear up instead of muddy up ;)

AggieJohn
04-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:weeping: :weeping: Poor little red-headed step-children.

I could actually kick his behind over not choosing Tech & not for the reasons most of you will think. He would've had a "paid for" place to live - my grandmother's house - and Tech offered him $1,000/yr scholarship for all 4 years.

heck i would of been a techtard for that deal! wreck'em

bigcat8
04-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Still can't beat OU