PDA

View Full Version : Laura Canales in hospital

Phil C
04-13-2005, 09:30 AM
She lives in Kingsville but at one time was the biggest Tejano singer and was a pioneer in this field before Selena. Pray for her recovery. You can keep up with her condition at

www.tejanorootshalloffame.org

She was a great singer and I had the pleasure to meet her a few years ago and she is a great person. The hospital and family have requested no visits to the hospital because she is very ill.

Bullaholic
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Phil, I have listened and enjoyed Tejano music for many years by artists such as Laura Canales, Selena, Marco Antonio Solis y Los Bukis, Fama, and Pete Astudillo. Many people are not aware of the unique history of Tejano music, so the following is a little excerpt explaining some of it's origins:

"The musical traditions of the Tejanos of South Texas and Norteņos of Northern Mexico have been influenced not only by the mother country, Mexico, but also by their Anglo-American, African-American and immigrant neighbors like the Czechs, Bohemians, and Moravians as well as the Germans and Italians. Industry, especially brewing, in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, was developed in part by German immigrants; and the distributors of German-made accordions aggressively marketed the loud, sturdy little "boom boxes" as far back as the late 1800s."

Materials copyrighted by Arhoolie Records.
Presentation of these materials on UT Library Online by the General Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin was made possible under a limited license grant from the creator who has retained all copyrights to the works.

Bandera YaYa
04-13-2005, 10:04 AM
What landed her in the hospital to begin with? I hope she makes a full recovery......looks like she is a big Tejano star........I haven't ever been able to get into that genre of music.....good luck to her.

Phil C
04-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Bandara according to the Corpus Christi Caller/Times she was hospitalized on March 28 in Kingsville for a scheduled gallstone operation. During the operation, doctors found scar tissue and an infection in the area of her liver that was related to intestinal tract surgury she had several years ago. She was transferred to Spohn in Corpus Christi shortly thereafter. A family spokesman said "Doctors have stabilized her infection and neutralized the fever. She is resting comfortably but is still in very critical condition because her lungs are still very weak."

Bullaholic
04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
BTW, Phil, I certainly wish Laura Canales a speedy recovery, also.

Bandera YaYa
04-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Bandara according to the Corpus Christi Caller/Times she was hospitalized on March 28 in Kingsville for a scheduled gallstone operation. During the operation, doctors found scar tissue and an infection in the area of her liver that was related to intestinal tract surgury she had several years ago. She was transferred to Spohn in Corpus Christi shortly thereafter. A family spokesman said "Doctors have stabilized her infection and neutralized the fever. She is resting comfortably but is still in very critical condition because her lungs are still very weak." Gee, she has really been through it!! Well, hopefully she will get better real soon. :)

District303aPastPlayer
04-13-2005, 01:44 PM
i had heard she was going into tracheotomy surgery but im not sure..