PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog Green or anyone else who knows about Harleys...

big daddy russ
04-13-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm looking at getting an '01 Sportster XL1200C.... it's in great shape and has been maintained immaculately. Was that a good year for the Sportster or should I look at a different year/model? My budget is definitely under $7,500 so I'm probably looking at either a Sportster or a basketcase... and I want to be riding soon. Any help would be great.

Old Green
04-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm looking at getting an '01 Sportster XL1200C.... it's in great shape and has been maintained immaculately. Was that a good year for the Sportster or should I look at a different year/model? My budget is definitely under $7,500 so I'm probably looking at either a Sportster or a basketcase... and I want to be riding soon. Any help would be great. The '01 Sportster is definitely a good bike. And since it is an XL1200C it has extra s from the factory. The "C" stands for Custom which means it came with forward foot controls, solid disc rear wheel . 21" front wire wheel, and added chrome straight from the factory.. New this bike is selling for around $11,000.00.

The bike owner appears to have maintained it in good shape. An immaculate bike is a good sign. Ask to see the maintenance records for the bike. It should show all the warranty checks did by the dealer, then ask for a test ride if possible . If you like it buy it.

:D :D

I wouldn't buy a basket case if you are on a tight budget. Harley parts are expensive. You could spend up $5000.00 0n parts to get it running and in the condition you want it in.

Also never buy a pre-1995 sportster, because they were in transition stages with modification to the engine , Transmission, and switched to Belt drive instead og Chain.

The same goes for a Big Twin Harley. Don't buy one made pre-1988. The engine was modified to 1340 cc in 1985. It had a lot of bugs and was prone ot engine failure. It took Harley three years to get the bugs out. Now the 1340 cc is the most Reliable motor in the Companies history with well over Two million on the road. The same with the Sportster 1200 cc Engine.

I hope this Helps.

big daddy russ
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Old Green. I've already got all the maintenance records. Only problem is a small chip in the paint on the front of the gas tank. No big deal to me. He didn't have a windshield... I'll probably buy a detachable windshield first thing.

I've wanted a Harley since I was about five years old (I grew up riding dirt bikes, but always had my eye on the big boys). This guy's just trying to get rid of it, so I might actually be able to afford this one. I'm crossing my fingers and praying.