PDA

View Full Version : Columbus 6, Sealy 5 (Softball)

Bellville22
04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Interesting night for D20 Softball. Columbus pulls their second straight upset and plays a huge role in the district standings. After beating Bellville last week, they take down Sealy tonight, who was in the driver's seat for the crown. Bellville and Sealy now have 2 losses a piece (1-1 head-to-head), creating a tie at the top of the standings. Barring any further losses by these two teams, there would be a playoff for the title at the end of the season. Still some softball left, but that's the case right now.

Brahma73
04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Saw this game in person. Talk about a roller coaster ride! Columbus manufactures a run in the 2nd(?) to go up 1-0. In the fourth, Sealy got to starter Leopold for 4, and it looked like lights out for the Lady Cards. Columbus brought in their freshman pitcher who struck out the next 2 batters to end the inning. Sealy added a run in the fifth, and looked to be cruising to the district title. I saw this, but I'm still not quite sure how it happened. Columbus pushed across 5 runs in the bottom of the fifth off the Sealy starter. The fifth run scored from second when there was a mishandled grounder at first and the fielder just went to sleep while the winning run trotted home.

What a wierd game. Coach Anderson has got to be wondering where this game went. Here's the thing I can't understand. Where in the world has this freshman pitcher (name escapes me) been all year for the Lady Cards? She has excellent stuff and is obviously the ace of the squad. All she's done this year is beat Bellville (pitched all 7 innings) and Sealy (slammed the door when they had momentum last night). I know it's easy to play "what-if," but Columbus is clearly better when she's on the mound. Amazes me that after she beat Bellville in Bellville, she doesn't pitch the next game against Rice, and Columbus loses and is virtually eliminated from the play-offs. Just curioius...

Anyway, Bellville didn't exactly destroy Navasota last night (3-0) but are back in the race for the title. Hopefully Rice won't surprise them, but anything can happen.

some1
04-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Wasn't able to make this game last night but i hear that columbus had one good inning that let come on top of sealy and that was it. Maybe this was a good thing because we all know that we want to see bellville and sealy play one more time.

D20 Standings so far:

1. Sealy (6-2)
1. Bellville (6-2)
3. Rice (5-3)
4. Navasota (4-4)
5. Columbus (3-5)
6. Hempstead (0-8)

Old Cardinal
04-14-2005, 07:23 PM
To Brahma 73: It kind of interesting in HS ball about pitchers. I see Orangefield struggle on the mound when they have a very seasoned Freshman select team Pitcher that just sits the bench. Christina Ratcliff helped pitched a 10 & u Beaumont Blast team for the ASA Final game in Henderson Texas 4 years ago. She is still a premium pitcher, just young. I am not knocking the two wonderful Coaches at OF but just saying they are blinded by their own paradigm. Had this hurler been given some pitching time during this year could have raised the success prospects of the Bobcats... That sounds like maybe the same situation for the Columbus Cardinal SB that you observed.

Specklebelly
04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Anyone know who Navasota's final two games are against?

bulldog94
04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Navasota plays Columbus and then Sealy
Rice Plays Sealy and Bellville

Rice is a game up on Navasota going in to Friday Night.