PDA

View Full Version : Canton Shooter Charged with Agravated Assualt

Green Ranger
04-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I think this is absolute crap, you can read for yourself but I do not think this is justice:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2032802

Bullaholic
04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
This was pre-meditated attempted murder---period!

mwynn05
04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This was pre-meditated attempted murder---period! I think they should have charged him with attempted murder also, when you shoot someone with an AK 47 your deffinatly trying to kill them!!!!!!

44INAROW
04-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Wow, wonder what you gotta do in Canton to be charged with Attempted Murder? Also ESPN reports it was a .45 pistol not AK-47 - I've seen both in print, wonder which is correct.

Ranger Mom
04-08-2005, 01:39 PM
AK-47 or .45 - either one is a deadly weapon.

What is the difference between aggravated assault and just plain old assault?

Also, did anyone hear what one of the shooter's family member made about "not being too hard on the shooter"...that "lots of parents felt the same way and the situation was bound to escalate"?

I think the loser needs to be locked up and the key be thrown down my water well.

AP Panther Fan
04-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What is the difference between aggravated assault and just plain old assault?

I think one involves having a weapon while the other does not.

Bandera YaYa
04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
It's very disturbing to me that people of that community are saying that basically this was bound to happen, because of the problems with the athletic programs.....gee since when was it deemed probable, ..that such problems would or could be solved by this kind of violence against a person???? When I read that, I was like "OMG" .....is ignorance on the rise in Texas????? Very distrubing indeed. :(

44INAROW
04-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Also, did anyone hear what one of the shooter's family member made about "not being too hard on the shooter"...that "lots of parents felt the same way and the situation was bound to escalate"?

What a loser mentality.. Not knowing all the circumstances with the son, I feel sorry for him. Can you imagine if he plays ball next year, what kind of position that puts the new coach in?

AP Panther Fan
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Not knowing all the circumstances with the son, I feel sorry for him.

Me too...I can't even imagine putting my child in that situation. :(

This morning on the Today Show, Matt Lauer was interviewing the creator of "Friday Night Lights". Good ole' Matt was trying to make it sound like this sort of problem was unique in Texas, but the man he was interviewing quickly noted that it's not just Texas, but every state across the country.

44INAROW
04-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Me too...I can't even imagine putting my child in that situation. :(

This morning on the Today Show, Matt Lauer was interviewing the creator of "Friday Night Lights". Good ole' Matt was trying to make it sound like this sort of problem was unique in Texas, but the man he was interviewing quickly noted that it's not just Texas, but every state across the country.

I saw that. Did you see the father and son from Canton on there.

AP Panther Fan
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I saw that. Did you see the father and son from Canton on there.

Bits and pieces, I was rushing my kids around and getting ready for work. :rolleyes:

I really didn't catch much of that part. What was your take on it?

onfirebball05mustang
04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
aggrevated assault my something or the other!!! This is total crap! I'm sorry, but this is more than that...he deserved a little harder punishment than that! Oh well, the bureaucracy of the justice system is evident! :(

lepfan
04-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Good ole' Matt was trying to make it sound like this sort of problem was unique in Texas, but the man he was interviewing quickly noted that it's not just Texas, but every state across the country.

I think Texas gets the LIGHT put on them because of the Friday night football fever frienzy. You have to look at the publicity that Texas high school football has gotten in the past few years. The 20/20 show (I think that was it) on Burnet and the movies that have been made with the setting being in Texas.

If some of the settings had been in other states I don't think the focus would be on this type of thing only happens in Texas. Every state has it's sickos!

Bandera YaYa
04-08-2005, 03:06 PM
What a loser mentality.. Not knowing all the circumstances with the son, I feel sorry for him. Can you imagine if he plays ball next year, what kind of position that puts the new coach in? I feel bad for the son too, if he had no knowledge of his dad's plan.................I had read somewhere that this man had been at a party the night before and was bragging about what he was gonna do???? If that is true, then why didn't someone try and stop him or at least call the police???? I sure wouldn't want that on my conscience......

BrahmaMom
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
As a mental health professional in my former, pre-Mom life, I have some sympathy for the shooter. That said, I think attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon is the appropriate charge. And yes, I feel very sorry for his family. HOWEVER, premediated and an AK-47 speak volumes to me. Furthermore, I think it underscores the limits of our current mental health system and SCREAMS for better mental health care. We should all write to our congressmen. This is happening across the board too often. It just happened this time to the sports arena; but this kind of attack happens more than it would if there were more emphasis on early intervention in mental health care.

onfirebball05mustang
04-09-2005, 01:35 PM
After talking to the police officer that is my father....this is actually better than going with premeditated.

Hear me out y'all...

In the courts with trying to charge/convict with premeditated murder, there would have to be alot more proof than just this hit list. If he is charged/convicted with agg. assault, he stands a better chance with more jailtime--anywhere up to life. The later charge is ALOT easier to convict-hence he will get a harsher punishment than just haggling in the courts over a premed. murder charge

Whatever the case may be against this guy...let justice be done!

HighSchool Fan
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
give it some time. i'm sure before it's over the charges will change to attempted murder.

Ranger Mom
04-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I am quoting this from "The Old Coach":

No such charge as "attempted murder" in Texas. There is "attempted capital murder", which this could be considering it happened in a school, but that's VERY hard to prove. Especially considering that he had an AK in his truck but used the .45 and shooting from point blank range he only hit him in the gut. You only have to get one idiot on a jury to screw the whole thing up. Agg. assault is much easier to prove and is the same level offense as att. cap. murder(both are first degree felonies). He can get anywhere from probation, two years, to life.