PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys signed a Turkey

kepdawg
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Signed Clint Finley to a one year deal.

Gobbla2001
04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for bring this to our attention...

Victoria Advocate Article:

----------

Finley to continue NFL career with Cowboys

April 8, 2005
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

Clint Finley was beginning to think his football playing days were over until the Dallas Cowboys made him an offer he wouldn't have even thought about refusing

Finley traveled from his home in Lincoln, Neb., to Dallas and after working out for members of the Cowboys coaching staff at Valley Ranch on Wednesday, he signed a one-year contract with the team.

"It's a crazy business," Finley said. "But when you get an opportunity to play in the NFL, you're crazy not to take it. I've always loved the game. It's what I want to do. I know at some point, you've got to call it quits. But when something like this comes along, you've got to do it."

Finley earned all-state honors at quarterback in high school for Cuero before playing in the secondary for four years at Nebraska, concluding his college career in the Cornhuskers' 66-17 win over Northwestern in the 2000 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.

Finley had an unsuccessful tryout for the Cowboys in 2001 before going back to school at Nebraska to complete his degree. He worked as a volunteer assistant coach during the 2001 season at Arlington High for his father, Mickey, who had coached him at Cuero.

Finley signed as a free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2002 and was sent to play for the Berlin Thunder in NFL Europe. Finley played in five games for the Chiefs in 2003 before spending the rest of the season on the team's practice squad.

Finley re-signed with the Chiefs last season, but suffered a stinger that caused temporary nerve damage in his left arm during the preseason. He reached an injury settlement with the team before being released.

Finley, who turned 28 in March, returned to Lincoln and was considering some employment opportunities and working out to stay in football shape while waiting for his fiancee to finish school at Nebraska when his agent informed him of the tryout with the Cowboys.

"I was actually looking at some jobs," Finley said. "But when this thing came through, I thought I'd take advantage of it. I've been a huge Cowboys fan all my life."

Finley ran a couple of 40-yard dashes and did some position drills for the Cowboys secondary coaches. He was offered a contract after the workout.

The 6-foot, 210-pound Finley is expected to compete with Keith Davis and Lynn Scott for playing time at free safety and is likely to see action on special teams.

"I know that traditionally the Cowboys have always played with their roster more than other teams," Finley said. "I'm going to try and show them something at mini-camp. I hope to be able to do that and have an opportunity to make the football team."

Also working out for the Cowboys on Wednesday was Victoria High graduate Tim Van Zant, who played college football at Texas A&M.

kepdawg
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Thanks for bring this to our attention...

Well I know there are a bunch of Turkeys here and thought some might be interested.

BTEXDAD
04-08-2005, 03:29 PM
thanks for clarifying for me, Gobbla. I did remember Clint Finley after I read your copy of article from Victoria paper.

When I read the first post about Cowboys signing clint finley, my first thought was the guy who led the comeback against redskins thanksgiving day back in late 70's. (That was clint longley). But he'd have to be even older than Testaverde.
Cowboys are still my team, but i'm not surprised by anything that happens up there.

gobbler grad
04-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Well I know there are a bunch of Turkeys here and thought some might be interested.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :kiss:

big daddy russ
04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
That guy was the best HS ballplayer I've ever seen.