PDA

View Full Version : Showdown time in Goliad tonight

Phil C
04-08-2005, 10:14 AM
The softball season has really gone fast especially when you only have five teams instead of six. Goliad has one game up on Sinton so Sinton needs to win in order to have a shot at district. If Goliad wins the title is theirs. I will wait till the final result tonight to discuss other possibilities. I will be going to Goliad early to catch the JV game at 5 and also look over the facilities such as the football and baseball field so I will know where to go in the fall when Sinton plays football there. Also I will try to find out where the gym is.

BTEXDAD
04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
good luck to the team, Phil

Bellville travels to Sealy tonite in battle of first place teams.
Both 5-1 in district.
After first district loss since 2002, hopefully bellville girls will be over disappointment and come out ready to move back into sole possession of first place.

AP Panther Fan
04-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sinton needs to win in order to have a shot at district. If Goliad wins the title is theirs

Best of luck to the Lady Pirates. Your girls played impressively when I last saw them and I am confident that they are ready for tonight!

Drive carefully and I will call either you or P4S with results from the AP/Ingleside games. :)

Phil C
04-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Ok AP and good luck against Ingleside tonight! I have to stay neutral though because I have friends in both schools.

Phil C
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Today in District 31AAA softball the standings are as follows:

1. Orange Grove at 5 - 0

2. West Oso at 3 - 3

3. Falfurrias at 2 - 3

4. Zapata at 2 - 2

5. San Diego at 0 - 4

Note that due to a bye not all the teams have played the same number of games and I am showing this list as shown in the Corpus Christi Caller Times.

pirate4state
04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Best of luck to the Lady Pirates. Your girls played impressively when I last saw them and I am confident that they are ready for tonight!

Drive carefully and I will call either you or P4S with results from the AP/Ingleside games. :) Good luck to the (Lady) Panthers tonight in their games against Ingleside. I hope our girls are as confident as you are. ;) :D

I'll keep in touch -- keep your phone nearby. :D

AP Panther Fan
04-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'll keep in touch -- keep your phone nearby. :D

You know me, I will be pacing...but will put it in my pocket! :D

pirate4state
04-08-2005, 11:45 PM
The Lady Pirates lost another heartbreaker to Goliad tonight 2-1. :( They had their chances to score the go ahead run in 3 different innings and couldn't produce the hits to score our baserunners.

The loss tonight leaves the Lady Pirates tied w/ Aransas Pass (who beat Ingleside tonight 5-3) for 2nd place. They meet up in Sinton next Friday. GO LADY PIRATES!! :clap:

Phil C
04-09-2005, 10:07 AM
The game Friday night with Aransas Pass will be for second place as Pirate4State has said. If Sinton wins it will wrap up second place. If Aransas Pass wins it could set up a showdown after the season for second place. Of course afterward Sinton has to face dangerous Mathis in Mathis and AP has to play Goliad.

Phil C
04-09-2005, 10:15 AM
The game last night was a strange game. The umpires were from Victoria near Goliad and all the close controversial calls were one sided with Goliad. I got to give credit to the Goliad folks in that they let Sinton have the stands and sat on benches that were right by the street. Of course the stands were by the Sinton dugout but they could have had their home team their so they were hospitable. There were three older Goliad fans though that sat right where the Sinton people were and of course when close calls are made against you consistently it is human nature for some people to complain and voice displeasure and it did offend the Goliad folks sitting there. That is why it is best when possible to have fans separated at least in sections when possible. They even had the local police there to watch over the Sinton fans. Of course some of the Goliad young folks were abusive to our pitcher and nothing was said by the umpire even though he threatened to throw out the Sinton crowd earlier for voicing their displeasure. There are exceptions because due to lack of size in the home side some of the Cuero folks have to sit on the visitors side but they are good sports and cheer for their team in a right way. And also it goes well in Orange Grove because the visitors side is small but they let some of the fans sit on the home side but they have a specific section for it.

I looked over the Goliad football field and the visitors side won't be adequate when us Sinton fans go their this fall. A lot of us will be standing. Our band may take up half the stand.

PhiI C
04-09-2005, 11:07 AM
By winning the district Goliad has ended an 8 year district championship dynasty that the Sinton Lady Pirates have had since Sinton first had a softball team in 1997. (Actually they tied George West in 2002 but since Sinton won the playoff game we still claim it). The number of games lost in district you can count on the fingers of your two hands not counting the thumbs. A remarkable record. It was bound to end but I feel our girls will bounce back and give some folks some trouble in the playoffs. But we still have to get by Aransas Pass this Friday.

Old Cardinal
04-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Phil, Has Sinton or Goliad played Raymondville? Raymondville has comprised quite a win record I was wondering if they had played anyone that was tough?

PhiI C
04-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I know Sinton hasn't played Raymondville and I don't think Goliad has either. I don't think we have ever played Raymondville in the past. Maybe this year in the playoffs.

18handicap
04-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Phil? Did you say the Victoria Chapter??? Might be the worst softball chapter overall in the state. They have about 6 or 7 real good guys and then the rest ----- well, you would have to look at my scratch list.

Last night, my SS is fielding a ground ball and the runner at 2nd runs into her and we don't get to make a play. Interference? Correct? No call made. I question it and the answer I get is that the runner has the right of way in the baseline from 2nd to 3rd.

Nice man, but wrong interpretation of the rule. The runner has to avoid the fielder trying to make a play. The result -- instead of the 3rd out of the inning and us still up 2-0 in the 4th, now runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs and next a passed ball and then a single and the score is now 2-2. Thank goodness we scored four runs in the next inning to go ahead and win.

I have had many run-ins with the Victoria Chapter for the past 8 years, but if I can get their best guys to call our games down there, I would use them in the playoffs, but after that, no way.

Phil C
04-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Thank you 18 even though it confirmed my worse fears. Hopefully if we have to use Victoria umpires in the playoffs our coach will call you for the scratch list you have.

pirate4state
04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Thank you 18 even though it confirmed my worse fears. Hopefully if we have to use Victoria umpires in the playoffs our coach will call you for the scratch list you have. :)

pirate4state
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Phil, Has Sinton or Goliad played Raymondville? Raymondville has comprised quite a win record I was wondering if they had played anyone that was tough? You may want to ask Ray_Bearkat if Raymondville has played anyone "tough".