PDA

View Full Version : James' times keeping Cuero on fast track (Victoria Advocate Article)

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
They had a picture in the paper, didn't see it on the website...

-------------

James' times keeping Cuero on fast track

Thursday, April 7th, 2005

Brandon James stumbled when he came out of the blocks for the 100-meter dash at the Edna Cowboy Relays.

But the mishap, which forced James to use his hand to steady himself, wasn't the reason coaches, meet officials, spectators, and other competitors were shaking their heads by the end of the event.

They were trying to figure out how James had recovered to not only win the race, but to do so in a time of 10.41 seconds. As it turned out, James' performance at Edna was just a prelude of what was to come for the Cuero junior.

"When we were in Sinton, I asked him what he was going to run the 200 in," Cuero athletic director Mark Reeve said. "He told me, 'I don't know coach. I'm just going to run hard.'"

James ran hard enough at Sinton to win the 200 in a time of 21.04, the best in the area this season.

"He's just fast," Reeve said. But even Reeve didn't completely realize how fast James was until last weekend's Calhoun Relays in Port Lavaca.

James ran a hand time of 10.19 in the 100, which is believed to be the fastest in the state in any classification this season.

"Wow," was the only word Cuero assistant track coach Terrance Fryer could summon to describe James' most recent performance in the 100.

"He's the real deal," Fryer said. "He's the real deal."

Just how real becomes more evident by the day to James' coaches and teammates, who have watched him run the 100 and 200, along with legs on the 400 and 1,600 relays this season.

"Let me guess, you're here to see Brandon," junior Avery Sheppard said to a visitor at Cuero track practice on Wednesday at Gobbler Stadium. "You're right. You don't see many 10.19's."

Reeve first saw the person he now calls, "the only 10.19 transfer I've ever had," shortly before Christmas.

James informed Reeve he would soon be moving from Houston to Cuero to live with his mother.

James told Reeve he had run track at Langham Creek. But James didn't tell Reeve he had participated in last year's Class 5A state meet, finishing seventh in the 200 (21.66) and fifth as a member of the 400 relay team.

"He's just a good kid, who works hard," Reeve said. "He has a good work ethic and a nice personality."

James' cousin Brice Price played football at Cuero, and James was aware of the Gobblers' football tradition. James played quarterback for the junior varsity at Houston Westside as a freshman, but was forced to sit out last season at Langham Creek after breaking his left ankle.

James plans to play football at Cuero next season, but he leaves no doubt, his favorite sport is track.

"I've been doing this since second grade and I love it," James said. "I just like running and I like moving fast."

It's not by accident that James moves fast. He not only has the ability, he also has the work ethic.

"His technique is great," Fryer said. "His running form is great. He comes out of the blocks like he's supposed to. But the best thing about him is he works his butt off."

James' times this season are even more impressive considering his lack of competition. Teammate Fabian Olguin was James' closest competitor in the 100 at the Calhoun Relays, finishing second in 10.72, over a half-second behind.

James should get plenty of competition this weekend when he travels to Austin to participate in the Texas Relays.

"I love the competition," James said. "I can feel it and it gives me a rush. I like running there (Myers Stadium) because I know there will be a lot of people watching. I just say a prayer and concentrate on my individual race."

It's hard to say which race best suits James. He has begun running open quarters in practice to go along with the 100 and 200.

But James' immediate concern is running fast enough at the district and regional meets to return to Austin in May.

"My short-term goals are to make it back to state," James said. "I want to see what I can do there."

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588, or by e-mail at mforman@vicad.com.

Gobbler Fan
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders and he plays football :evillaugh

*Tradition is earned not Given*

big daddy russ
04-07-2005, 04:12 PM
What is he, a junior?

pirate4state
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Just great! :rolleyes:

:D I'm just hatin'. Good Luck to the young man. I saw him run in Sinton & he was/is AMAZING!! :clap: Can't wait to see him in a couple of weeks at Regionals. :)

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Yah, he's a junior...

Seems like a good wide-receiver for Cuero's offense... Maybe a DB so we don't get lite up by Wharton etc... haha... But I'm not sure if he can hit...

I was wondering why he came to Cuero, but the article confirmed that his mother is living here...

I graudated/played football with his cousin, Brice Price, who was mentioned in the article... Brice was about 6'5 240/250 our senior year, so the build must run in the family... Not sure if he is related to another Brice's other cousin from Cuero who started as an outside linebacker on the '98 state finalists team or not... If he is, all of them need to move back toword Cuero haha...

Never met him, never seen him, just saw him picture for the first time today, looks like he has a pretty good build etc... obviously he has speed...

crabman
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Holmes Fans will doubt his 21.66 FAT as a sophomore, even thought it was run at the "state meet" like he wants to see.

Texas Relays prelims tomorrow.

Gotta go.

gobbler84
04-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Never seen hin throw, but to start at qb as a freshamn for a 5A JV team, he must be pretty good. Or they rely on the option

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Never seen hin throw, but to start at qb as a freshamn for a 5A JV team, he must be pretty good. Or they rely on the option

It'd be awesome to see this kid as a QB, but I have a lot of faith in our QB this season as I'm sure you do as well...

He'll fit in somewhere, that's for sure...

The funny thing is, we have this dude who could win state sprinting this year, and he isn't even our star player...

Also, 84, I read in the paper today the standings for discus throwers... You're not 'too' far behind... Cut 'em out and paste 'em on your wall..... Paste 'em on your locker, paste 'em wherever, those are goals to shoot for, the next four years...