PDA

View Full Version : Canton High School Football Coach was shot in the fieldhouse...

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
This was on the news here in Austin about 2 minutes ago. I'll look on the DMN website for more info.

tmac
04-07-2005, 11:10 AM
updates?

CheerMom
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
OMG!! That is terrible news!!

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
CANTON, Texas - An East Texas high school football coach was apparently shot on the campus Thursday, and all schools in the district were locked down while police searched for the shooter, according to broadcast reports.

The condition of the victim, who reportedly was shot at the school's athletic field house, wasn't immediately available.

**This is all I could find. I'm assuming the shooting happened literally a few minutes to an hour ago because I can't find anything on it.

coachingislife
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Got this off The Old Coach. Please please pray! Coaches name is Coach Kinne

"Coach Kinne has a son, and the shooter reportedly has a son enrolled in school in Canton. Channel 4 reported that the shooter had a "hit list" of people, and indicated that he would not be taken live by law enforcement. My prayers go out to all involved in this tragedy.

CNN just reported he is in surgery in TMF in Tyler. "

pirate44
04-07-2005, 11:19 AM
what a sad situation.

coachingislife
04-07-2005, 11:21 AM
This is from KLTV in Tyler.

There was a shooting at Canton High School this morning. Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Gary Joe Kinne has reportly been shot. He has been care flighted to a Tyler hospital. His condition is not yet known. Mr Kinne has been Athletic Director and Head Football Coach of Canton High School since 2003.

All school campuses in Canton ISD are under lockdown. Schools in Van ISD are under partial lockdown as a precautionary measure.

Police have identified suspect in this morning's shooting. He is Jefferey Doyal Robertson. Police throughout East Texas have been notified to be on the lookout for Robertson. He was last seen driving a 2004 Black Dodge extended cab with license plates 64N-XW1.

Stay tuned to KLTV, Channel 7 News and kltv.com for the latest updates on this breaking news story.

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
He was shot in the chest.

FootballChik98
04-07-2005, 11:24 AM
This is very sad. Thoughts and prayers with the Kinne family and everyone involved.

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Grand Saline and Van ISD's are on lockdown.

Seems like this guy's son was disciplined by Coach Kinne yesterday. hence, the shooting.

Bandera YaYa
04-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Such sad, horrible news........am praying for him and his family......

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm just updating for folks since I have no class the rest of the day and this is a sad situation.

But the shooter has/had a hit list which had the following on it:

Hit list consisted of:

AD
Head Baseball Coach
Father-in-law
himself

Manck
04-07-2005, 11:35 AM
As a guy who has met Coach Kinne personally, this really pisses me off. From the vibe I got when Terry and I did a game in Canton, Coach Kinne has not always been the most well liked guy. Canton really isn't much of a football town, but their recent success has been spreading out the support of the community to all programs, not just band and basketball like it was traditionally.

When I met Coach Kinne on the sidelines just before kickoff of a game that would see his team eliminated from playoff contention, even though they won handily, he seemed to be a really nice guy who ran a tight ship, but still let the kids have fun.

A report from smoaky.com's boards say that the assailant's son was disciplined by Coach Kinne yesterday, and there is a hitlist including Coach Kinne and the head baseball coach.

It looks like someone should have taught this man a little bit about conflict resolution.

My prayers go out to the Kinne family. Reports are that Gary's condition is deteriorating. I met his wife at a tailgate, and she was nothing but nice. His son G.J. is a rising junior who is the starting quarterback and has a cannon for an arm and has a real promising future. I can't remember if there's more family, but my prayers go out to them, and I hope that they catch the bastard who shot him.

SORRY about the language. This is making me mad.

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:41 AM
http://kltv.static.worldnow.com/images/3180215_BG1.jpg

Coach Kinne

Phil C
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Manck
As a guy who has met Coach Kinne personally, this really pisses me off. From the vibe I got when Terry and I did a game in Canton, Coach Kinne has not always been the most well liked guy. Canton really isn't much of a football town, but their recent success has been spreading out the support of the community to all programs, not just band and basketball like it was traditionally.

When I met Coach Kinne on the sidelines just before kickoff of a game that would see his team eliminated from playoff contention, even though they won handily, he seemed to be a really nice guy who ran a tight ship, but still let the kids have fun.

A report from smoaky.com's boards say that the assailant's son was disciplined by Coach Kinne yesterday, and there is a hitlist including Coach Kinne and the head baseball coach.

It looks like someone should have taught this man a little bit about conflict resolution.

My prayers go out to the Kinne family. Reports are that Gary's condition is deteriorating. I met his wife at a tailgate, and she was nothing but nice. His son G.J. is a rising junior who is the starting quarterback and has a cannon for an arm and has a real promising future. I can't remember if there's more family, but my prayers go out to them, and I hope that they catch the bastard who shot him.

SORRY about the language. This is making me mad.

No need to apologize Manck (at least to me). This is bad upsetting news.

Manck
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Just found out from an AP report that the guy used a friggin' AK-47. Just a head up, that's a BANNED ASSAULT RIFLE. Maybe it's not banned, but Jesus Christ! A friggin' assault rifle on a football coach at a SCHOOL!

That ain't right.

kepdawg
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
KTJ where are you getting you info? (Son disciplined, the people on the list, etc...) Just curios...

Bandera YaYa
04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
No need to apologize Manck (at least to me). This is bad upsetting news. Me either! I feel your frustration and anger.....too much of this cowardly stuff happening these days!! God help us all! :( :(

KTJ
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
KTJ where are you getting you info? (Son disciplined, the people on the list, etc...) Just curios...

Various websites

CheerMom
04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
I hope they get to him before he takes the coward's way out, that way he gets whats coming to him. :mad:

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
A lot of the info is coming from KLTV, and from Smoaky.com. David Smoak is pretty much the only guy in East Texas with a sports talk show, so he knows what's going on.

No new news as of yet.

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
He's said he's not going to be taken alive. Suck. Enough violence and blood for one day.

KTJ
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
The bullet was taken out of Coach Kinne and he is in critical condition.

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Apparently there's live coverage on FOX4 in Dallas. They've found the truck near Lindale, but the suspect might not be in it, and there's a possibility that the suspect has slit his wrists....

CHANNEL 4 LIVE COVERAGE. Their chopper actually found the truck.

Bandera YaYa
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Just found out from an AP report that the guy used a friggin' AK-47. Just a head up, that's a BANNED ASSAULT RIFLE. Maybe it's not banned, but Jesus Christ! A friggin' assault rifle on a football coach at a SCHOOL!

That ain't right. Dang, that is just horrible, horrible.....I can't believe it either......I'll continue to pray all day....keep us informed....I pray he pulls thru...how scared his players and family must be..

rhs78
04-07-2005, 12:21 PM
this is very sad to hear,esp kids not taking disipline these days, too much violence in our world today, my prayers go out to the coach,his family and the school.

jason
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
http://www.smoaky.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34893&page=1

this thread from smokey.com has some live updates....according to this, law enforcement has the man in a wooded area....

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
According to Fox 4, the suspect was involved in a long argument with Coach Kinne, and had been banned from visiting the campus of Canton High.

He didn't listen to that ban. He's definitely not in the car anymore, and it looks like the cops are waiting for the K9 units to come find him. There are Smith County Sheriff's Deputies, Texas Department of Public Safety Troopers, and Texas Rangers on the scene outside of Lindale where the getaway truck is.

catdad
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
the guy is not in his truck anym,ore. they are searching the woods now.

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
MSNBC and CNN also have live coverage right now for those of you outside Fox 4's coverage area. They don't really know anything, but they have live video feed from KDFW's news chopper.

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Of course, they'll be switching to other stories throughout the day, but when new stuff develops, they'll (MSNBC, CNN) be late to tell you.

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Fox 4 has given up on their coverage to show Judge Joe Brown.

Stick to Smoaky's site for new coverage. I have to go to class soon.

onfirebball05mustang
04-07-2005, 12:47 PM
My prayers are with the school, students, family and freinds...they better catch this guy...or he's dealing with me! :mad:

Manck
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
from the smoaky thread....

" coach Kinne is out of surgery. He is stable but in critical condition.

KEEP THE PRAYERS COMING!!!!!

Coach Croley
Canton Staff"

So a little bit of decent news. Not GOOD news, but better news.

Green Ranger
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I say they bring this Not Nice Person in alive, Tie him to a tackling sled. Dress out Kinne's football kids and run drills on the tackling sled till he is dead. As far as that goes, line those up he talked to last night but said nothing and let the quarterbacks unleash balls at them all day long. Coach Kinne and family, Canton ISD you are in my thoughts and prayers.

onfirebball05mustang
04-07-2005, 12:58 PM
from the smoaky thread....

" coach Kinne is out of surgery. He is stable but in critical condition.

KEEP THE PRAYERS COMING!!!!!

Coach Croley
Canton Staff"

So a little bit of decent news. Not GOOD news, but better news.

just saw that on smoaky...at least this shows hope!

mwynn05
04-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I was shocked when I saw this, this is horrible! Would have thought this would happen in a 3a high school?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

mwynn05
04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
On Fox News it said the shooter was terminally ill, the AK-47 was banned but that ban ended not very long ago...the bill/law wasnt extended by our leader. sorry for the grammar spelling im typing fast

18handicap
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Prayers from Sweeny for the families and people involved in this tragedy.

Also, I have sent news out to my softball coaches' e-mail list of over 300 high school softball coaches asking them to direct prayers to Canton for a quick recovery.

mikecheck
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
subject in custody alive. from the Smoak House

mwynn05
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
They got the shooter. near Lindale in the woods..no one was hurt in the arrest.

onfirebball05mustang
04-07-2005, 01:48 PM
thank goodness they got the guy...do we/they have any clue what the ''hit list'' criteria for being on it was? this is just devistating! How do they know this guy is the shooter? I'm just trying to get the facts straight...i'll go check out smoaky next.

mwynn05
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
now they are reporting that they dont know the suspects condition they havent seen any EMS show up nor an ME

mwynn05
04-07-2005, 01:51 PM
EMS just arrived

kaorder1999
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
prayers with the kinne's and the CISD family

LST_Terry
04-07-2005, 02:11 PM
As the former play-by-play of Canton i pray that Coach Kinne is going to be ok and this is a sad situation.

Bullaholic
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
As I stated in my previous thread, I have a personal interest in this incident. My son-in-law coaches at Canton HS and missed this incident by about 2 mins. Our prayers are with the G.J. Kinne family and the Canton community. We are very thankful that no one else was injured.

LST_Terry
04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
may I ask who your son-in-law is?

Green Ranger
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM
as posted on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2032065

onfirebball05mustang
04-07-2005, 03:36 PM
anybody know what happened to the smoaky link??? it's not working anymore :(

Manck
04-07-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.smoaky.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34895

here ya go...THIRTEEN pages of pretty much second by second coverage of the events.

They got the suspect, and Coach Kinne is in ICU. Let's hope he's out soon.

big daddy russ
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I just got on the DL and this was the first thing I saw. I could care less whether Robertson is found dead or alive... I just hope that Coach Kinne makes it through. My prayers, along with those of quite a few of my friends, are being directed toward Canton right now. I hope he makes it through.

BrahmaMom
04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
First I've been on DL today, what a shock. Prayers from Bellville for the family and community--wow, there but for the grace of God...Please keep updates coming. 3A football is a family in Texas.

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:01 PM
How is Coach Kinne doing?

FootballChik98
04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Last I heard, he was still in critical, but stable condition.

LST_Terry
04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
The next 48 hours are key

onfirebball05mustang
04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
have we heard anything yet today??