PDA

View Full Version : My Prediction for the Div 1 State Title Game

Matthew328
04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
You heard it here first...Gainesville vs Cuero at Floyd Casey Stadium...

I know I am really going out on a limb but I think that's what we'll see!

pirate4state
04-06-2005, 05:35 PM
:thinking: hmmm....Will Cuero go Div. I next year? Gonzales might make the play offs and if I'm not mistaken, they are the "big" school in that district.

We're Back
04-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Nice choice. I think this will be a great possibility if both teams have good offseasons.

We're Back
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
yes Pirate 44, Gonzales is the big school in our district but I do not see them making the playoffs. JV and Freshman were both not very good, and they dont have alot of talent returning from this year's varsity. But you never know, thats why you play the games.

pirate4state
04-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by We're Back
yes Pirate 44, Gonzales is the big school in our district but I do not see them making the playoffs. JV and Freshman were both not very good, and they dont have alot of talent returning from this year's varsity. But you never know, thats why you play the games. :o I'm P4S. For some reason I thought (am hoping) Gonzales was gonna have an up year ... :D

Rockdale Tiger
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I think we scrimmage Gonzales...

We're Back
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
My bad pirate4state, I'm new to the site so can i catch some slack?lol. sorry to " burst your bubble" but unless Gonzales gets some transfer students, I do not see them making the playoffs. For District 26-3A, I see us(Cuero), Hallettsville, and Luling( yes thats not a type-oh) making the playoffs. Yoakum, although having a great coach, will not have the talent to make the playoffs this year in my opinion.

LH Panther Mom
04-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Yoakum, although having a great coach, will not have the talent to make the playoffs this year in my opinion.

I won't know how to react if that's the case. I know Coach Crow & Coach Vance mutually agreed that they're tired of playing each other. ;) I guess we shall see. :)

pirate4state
04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
My bad pirate4state, I'm new to the site so can i catch some slack?lol.very little slack! :D J/K - Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

sorry to " burst your bubble" but unless Gonzales gets some transfer students, I do not see them making the playoffs.the least you could do is keep my "bubble" intact!! :crying: I'll still hold out...stranger things have happened! :D

Rockdale Tiger
04-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Nice choice. I think this will be a great possibility if both teams have good offseasons. Welcome to your addiction... :D

We're Back
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
So, Im curious, if it in fact ends up being Gainesville vs. Cuero in the finals, who do yall think would win, and why would they win?

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I for one do not know what Gainesville is bringing to the table next year, so I cannot really say who I think would win...

But as far as Cuero goes? Better have a dang big table...

I still think Gonzales can squeeze in the playoffs, so I wouldn't say we're a for sure D1 yet... But you know more than I do...

Matthew328
04-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I could see Gonzales making the playoffs but I see em in 4th.....I think Cuero would have easily won state last year if Cooper hadn't gotten hurt..(sorry Wylie fans) that being said the Gobblers darn near won it all using their 2nd and 3rd team RB's....Cooper is back but Cuero lost a lot....I think Cuero will still have enough to get outta Reg 4....the Reg champ will be tough....could be Palestine again or maybe WOS won't pull what they pulled last year...as for Gainesville they return the house....have not 1 but 2 transfer QB's who will step in and take that spot over...I am hearing the kid from Mineral Wells has the inside track and the kid from Arlington Seguin may be used at WR/DB....

JHS_c/o_06'
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
What are your thoughts on DII?

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Very good analysis, Matt, but I still can't get over the 'team' that Wylie had, they were great and fun to watch...

Also, Matt, our 2nd string RB (a Jr.) only played one game last year (300 yards, I believe), he didn't play the last 14 games, he'll be back...

Gainesville sounds like a tough one...

In D2 you gotta look at Jasper, I believe, Silsbee should make the playoffs again unless I'm mistaken...

I also believe that if Jasper does go D2, they will have a tough R4 opponent waiting...

Liberty Hill will be a little stronger next year, including anyone who could beat them...

But I'm thinking Jasper...

JHS_c/o_06'
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Oh...if only it comes true....that would make my senior football year perfect....I think getting a state ring would be the best way to end your high school career.

And yes...Liberty Hill will be tough, even though they lost only one of their 3 2000+ yard RB's, thats still 2 guys with alot of yards...their O-line will have to step it up if they lost anyone. Cause the line is essential to the wing-t offense.....well..its essential to all styles....but it really helps them.

football4life
04-06-2005, 07:23 PM
what all is gainesville returning?

(oh sweet 100 posts)

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 07:23 PM
From what I saw walking the sidelines etc... at the two Liberty Hill games, they have a lot of 'quick stout' linemen... Not very big, but perfect for their misdirectional offense...

If you do not get the ring, buddy, Jasper has had one hell of a ride in the 3 years you have been there already...

We went 11-3 my freshmen year, 11-4 my sophmore year, 8-4 my junior year and 9-2 my senior year... I sure would have loved to have gotten that ring in '98 (the 11-4 season), but even without it I have memories I will never forget... had the time of my life...

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Also, Matt, our 2nd string RB (a Jr.) only played one game last year (300 yards, I believe), he didn't play the last 14 games, he'll be back...

Oops, almost forgot... Couple of starting linebackers never made it to district...

One was a soph, still waiting to see if he'll be back or not (neck, I believe)...

HighSchool Fan
04-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by football4life
what all is gainesville returning?

(oh sweet 100 posts)

just about everything. also will have a new move in QB that's pretty good.

crabman
04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Don't forget our move-in wide receiver in Cuero who ran 10.19 100 meters and 21.04 200 meters. I'm not sure Noack can throw it that far.

Old Cardinal
04-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I think Silsbee or Palestine will win state-- both or loaded. I would give the slight nod to Palestine. I am surprised to hear someone touting Gainesville most I have talked to see them as an also-ran. Barbers Hill and Huffman-Hargraves are the sleepers.

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I think Silsbee or Palestine will win state-- both or loaded. I would give the slight nod to Palestine. I am surprised to hear someone touting Gainesville most I have talked to see them as an also-ran. Barbers Hill and Huffman-Hargraves are the sleepers.

HAve you seen Gainesville/Abilene Wylie or anyone else play yet?

I've seen Palestine play this year...

Wimberly, even Iowa Park, Sinton and West Columbia could have beaten them.... possibily Wharton...

They were good, don't get me wrong, but there are over 180 teams in 3A, I've seen a few play, and Palestine wasn't the best...

Old Cardinal
04-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Palestine or Silsbee will be quite tough next season and you are the first I have heard really dump on their efforts last season. In fact, Silsbee was extremely young last season and should be quite stout and have better teamwork. It could be either one of those two.

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Palestine or Silsbee will be quite tough next season and you or the first I have heard really dump on their efforts last season. In fact, Silsbee was extremely young last season and should be quite stout and have better teamwork. It could be either one of those two.

I dumped on their efforts?

No, I do not believe so, I may have dumped on your efforts of pushing region 3 to the title (as you do every year so unsuccessfully), or maybe I was just giving recognition to the other teams I mentioned in my reply (which weren't all region 4 teams, btw)...

Palestine has speed and talent, but so do the other schools I have mentioned...

Palestine played us tough and played us close, as did the other teams I mentioned besides Iowa PArk (I only saw them play, we didn't play them)...

I am not saying they will not be good next year, just attacking your claims of state dominanace by Region 3 as we all do...

Jasper should win it in my opinion next year... But it will not be because they are from Region 3, it will be because they are from Jasper...

JHS_c/o_06'
04-06-2005, 09:40 PM
they have the right personel coming back.

But do they have enough of it.....i remember talking to either Silsbee's QB or RB on the sidelines at the Liberty VS Jasper game. And he said that they were losing alot of good people.

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Palestine or Silsbee will be quite tough next season and you are the first I have heard really dump on their efforts last season. In fact, Silsbee was extremely young last season and should be quite stout and have better teamwork. It could be either one of those two. Last year was your year to shine and you did a good job--this year will be theirs, they have the right personel coming back.

BTW, last year was not our year to shine, it was Abilene Wylie's and Gilmer's...

Plus, this year is the year we've been talking about for some time, last year was just amazing seeing we lost 4 starterts...

We return a ton of personel though we lose some as well...

But though we will be a very good ball-club next year, I will not say that 'I think we will win state', I will say that 'I think we have a chance', because I have not seen with my own two eyes what silsbee will bring back (though I have seen what Palestine will bring back, and it looks promising), but you have to step outside of the triangle and notice that other teams are out there with the same talent, or as much talent/coaching etc... as the ones that you discuss...

JHS_c/o_06'
04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Jasper should win it in my opinion next year... But it will not be because they are from Region 3, it will be because they are from Jasper...

:D ...i like the way you think....i sure hope your right...if you are...ill send you a christmas card.

gobbler84
04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Enough talk about Palestine, Silsbee and Gainsville being stacked. Let's travel down to CUuero For a little bit. Cuero will be a powerhouse next year running and throwing. Honestly to say they will be better next year then this year. They have Tre Gray, an hell of a reciever, Noack, possibly one of the best QB's from Cuero, J.T. Rudd, all state offense and defense, Latreal Cooper, Dewone Williams, he played one game, then to top of the new also stacked offensive line, a wide reciever who could get from zone to zone and 10 seconds flat.

Defense.....
All 4 lineman returing, both linebackers, Slone and Jackson, 2 Corners, Gray and williams, and a free safety.

Now can you say STACKED!

Old Cardinal
04-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Silsbee beat a Senior laden Jasper team last year with a whole bunch of underclassmen, I think it would be prudent to think they will win again this season when Jasper qraduated 19 or so. In looking at the big picture, I think that Cuero has had it's day in the sun and next year will be a good year but you will not represent Region IV.

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Silsbee beat a Senior laden Jasper team last year with a whole bunch of underclassmen, I think it would be prudent to think they will win again this season when Jasper qraduated 19 or so. In looking at the big picture, I think that Cuero has had it's day in the sun and next year will be a good year but you will not represent Region IV.

I do not doubt that another Region IV team may beat Cuero, heck, there are some tough ones down here I think... So I can give you that one (since I've actually seen 'em play)...

BTW... Jasper ended up at the State game, Silsbee didn't... We got beat by Gonzales in district in '98, that was 1 or their two district wins, we went to state (it's how you finish the season, Card)...

GO JASPER (unless we go D2, then I may have to jump off your D2 wagon haha)!!!

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Enough talk about Palestine, Silsbee and Gainsville being stacked. Let's travel down to CUuero For a little bit. Cuero will be a powerhouse next year running and throwing. Honestly to say they will be better next year then this year. They have Tre Gray, an hell of a reciever, Noack, possibly one of the best QB's from Cuero, J.T. Rudd, all state offense and defense, Latreal Cooper, Dewone Williams, he played one game, then to top of the new also stacked offensive line, a wide reciever who could get from zone to zone and 10 seconds flat.

Defense.....
All 4 lineman returing, both linebackers, Slone and Jackson, 2 Corners, Gray and williams, and a free safety.

Now can you say STACKED!

Well they have good stuff coming back as well, 84, so we have to respect that...

Jackson is for sure coming back though?

gobbler84
04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Cuero has had it's day in the sun

O it's just gettin started. And if you think that was our day int he sun then I can wait to see what a day in the summer is like to you!

gobbler84
04-06-2005, 10:28 PM

Jackson is for sure coming back though?

Yep He's ready to go........And not downing the other team I know the'll be just as good, but some people think that we're done when we're just gettin started!

Gobbla2001
04-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Yep He's ready to go........And not downing the other team I know the'll be just as good, but some people think that we're done when we're just gettin started!

That is some good news, glad you're not downing the other team... because we all have class...

We leave that stuff to pm's ha jk

JHS_c/o_06'
04-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Silsbee beat a Senior laden Jasper team last year with a whole bunch of underclassmen, I think it would be prudent to think they will win again this season when Jasper qraduated 19 or so.

I seem to remember a time when this happened before.....we were a senior laden team...but at the same time....we were a Division One Prospect laden team as well. And there were about 30+ seniors.....that didnt seem to stop us from making it back to the semis in DI and jumping ahead of a burnet team who hadnt been behind in two seasons (minus the state game they lost) and almost winning the next year after we lost 30+ seniors. We will have just as much speed as last year, we will have more size than last year, and we will have more strength then last year. In Jasper, the class of 06' has always been the glass to 'git-r-done' if you would, and i dont see why it should change now. Im not predicting anything and im not saying we're a shoe in....but i will tell you this. As hard as my teammates and i work everyday....we'll be ready for another run.

j_dog
04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
But do they have enough of it.....i remember talking to either Silsbee's QB or RB on the sidelines at the Liberty VS Jasper game. And he said that they were losing alot of good people.
Silsbee WILL be good, make no mistake about that. But, at the same time, they did graduate a tremendous part of the team in the person of District MVP Doss. Raw numbers of those graduating in no way tells the whole story.

Adidas410s
04-07-2005, 12:06 AM
for those who doubt Wylie after they graduate a lot of players. Must I offer two words...Case Keenum!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Ask anybody from Cuero about him. Also, Jared Robertson (DT who was 2nd team all-state as a jr) returns and will be a great college prospect (probably as a LB) for many schools looking for a "sleeper" pick...maybe Tech??? :thinking:

Bulldog_12
04-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Silsbee WILL be good, make no mistake about that. But, at the same time, they did graduate a tremendous part of the team in the person of District MVP Doss. Raw numbers of those graduating in no way tells the whole story.

Yeah, you said it yourself c/o '06, back when we graduated 30+, we still made it to the DI semi-finals. Anything can happen, thats what makes this such a great game.

LH Panther Mom
04-07-2005, 06:12 AM

We hope to have something to say about that. ;)

HighSchool Fan
04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
that would be awesome LHPM, one week Gainesville wins the championship and the next week LH wins one.:D

jet sweep
04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
the only thing that hurts silsbee's chances on a championship run is meeting palestine FIRST round. two teams like this should not meet until week 3 or 4....imo. high graduation or not....jasper will be good. their qb will win games for them.

Bandera YaYa
04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
that would be awesome LHPM, one week Gainesville wins the championship and the next week LH wins one.:D You can win a championship every WEEK ??????? :crazy: :thumbsup:

j_dog
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jet sweep
the only thing that hurts silsbee's chances on a championship run is meeting palestine FIRST round. two teams like this should not meet until week 3 or 4....imo. high graduation or not....jasper will be good. their qb will win games for them.
jet sweep, you are so right. Some people may have knocked Silsbee for losing in the first round last year, but if you pair two top teams in the first round, one of them has to lose. It is not fair, but that is how it is.

tmac
04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Its surprising to me how everyone has forgotten about decatur,i guess 1 loss and your out huh?returning star rb godboldt will have an mvp season next year,although it will be hard to improve on his 20 someodd tds and 1500 yards as a junior.The junior calss of 05 is no slouch,i know i played with them.

Black_Magic
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by tmac
Its surprising to me how everyone has forgotten about decatur,i guess 1 loss and your out huh?returning star rb godboldt will have an mvp season next year,although it will be hard to improve on his 20 someodd tds and 1500 yards as a junior.The junior calss of 05 is no slouch,i know i played with them. Well we will see who the front runners of DI in region I are after the Decatur Wylie Game early in the season.

tmac
04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
yeah i bet it will be a good one.I still cant believe they beat us,i always thought the saying,its hard to beat the same team twice is true

KTJ
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
When did we (Gainesville) get the move-in's? And how good are they?

Adidas410s
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Well we will see who the front runners of DI in region I are after the Decatur Wylie Game early in the season.

Yeah and we all saw how good of an indicator the early season game was last year...:D

HighSchool Fan
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
When did we (Gainesville) get the move-in's? And how good are they?

the move in from Mineral Wells will be the QB. from what i've heard from other people, he's gonna be real good. the sleeper of the team is gonna be Lorenzo McBath. just wait until you see him run.

spiveyrat
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Yeah, you said it yourself c/o '06, back when we graduated 30+, we still made it to the DI semi-finals. Anything can happen, thats what makes this such a great game.

In 2002 Jasper did it with size, strength, and speed. I think the '03 and '04 teams did it more with heart. And I think there is still a lot of heart left on the '05 team.

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
In 2002 Jasper did it with size, strength, and speed. I think the '03 and '04 teams did it more with heart. And I think there is still a lot of heart left on the '05 team.

Amen... We couldn't have gotten there without heart this year, but they never had their heads down, just kept taking the injury hits etc... and rolling along, it was heart and tradition IMHO, sounds the same in Jasper...

Matthew328
04-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Gainesville also rans?? OC you are stirring the pot...depsite all the stuff the Leps went through last year they still managed to go 8-3 they have an excellent QB transferring in from a decent 4A school in Mineral Wells....another kid who transferred from Arlington Seguin who by all accounts is an excellent athlete...I believe he attended GHS last year but wans't eligible to play varsity football....The McBath kid is a stud from all accounts, I believe they have an-all state LB back along with a host of other defenders back....and I believe the kid with the cannon for a leg is back again....Gainesville will be at minimum a Top 5 team.....Decatur will still be tough, but they'll be down some IMHO.....as for Abilene Wylie...what can you say about em? Year in and year out they are there...I'd love seeing Wylie and Gainesville tee it up in the Reg 1 Div 1 Final! Anytime you have Keenum on your team watch out....I've seen him play twice and in both games he has led his team on last minute drives to win games

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
[i] Anytime you have Keenum on your team watch out....I've seen him play twice and in both games he has led his team on last minute drives to win games [/B]

Tell me about it, haha...

Out of Palestine, Sinton and all of the rest (even 4A #1 [for a while] Gregory-Portland, A-Wylie was by far the best team we played....

It wasn't that they had college/nfl talent running around on the field (which they had a few, as every team we played this year had), they just took the game to a whole new level... What a great system they have...

But Matt, it is useless, arguing with the great Old Cardinal... Region 1, 2 and 4 do not exist in this thread, it is all about the 3... ha

WOS1
04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
WO-S will be better and SHOULD make an impact.

Gobbla2001
04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by WOS1

No doubt...

Good Athletes + Tradition = Success......

Hupernikomen
04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by WOS1

New year and new attidude in mustang land. Should be interesting.

AggiesAreWe
04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
To clear up what kind of team Silsbee could have next year, here's what they return and lost:

returning: 5 off. starters 6 def. starters

all-dist. rb 2 all dist. lb
2 all-dist. ol 2 all-dist. db
20 letterman return

lost: 6 off. starters 5 def. starters

off. mvp-qb all-dist. dl
2 all-dist. ol all-dist. lb
all-dist. te 2 all-dist. db
all-dist. rb
all-dist. wr
district mvp Desmond Doss was a 2-way starter and an all-stater
( he also was district mvp in basketball too)

Losing Doss, Porter(qb), Wilson(rb), Howard(dl), and Renfro(db&pr-kr) will hurt obviously, but we still have good quality returning. Also, 6 of those returning starters are sophmores. That sophmore class has never lost a game dating back to their 8th grade year. Those years we were playing in that tough 4A district with Nederland, PNG, Ozen, and WOS. This year, the JV(sophmore class) won their district going undefeated, beating Jasper 29-13. I kinda like Silsbee's chances of winning District next year, but as for state, that's another story.

HighSchool Fan
04-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Gainesville also rans?? I believe they have an-all state LB back along with a host of other defenders back....and I believe the kid with the cannon for a leg is back again....

don't forget matthew that the all-state LB is the 2nd best LB on the team. Franklin had a broke foot and missed about the first 7 games. i hope everyone thinks Gainesville is an also-ran.

gato 76
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Cuero may make it to the big dance again,but i know they will have one loss and that will be to wharton.I see wharton putting 30-40 pts on the gobblers defense.

Gobbla2001
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Cuero may make it to the big dance again,but i know they will have one loss and that will be to wharton.I see wharton putting 30-40 pts on the gobblers defense.

Or they can put up 56, and still lose like this year... you never know...

Gunna have to be improved on both sides of the ball, cuz Cuero will be...

Old Cardinal
04-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Every year there are a few folks that start this hype about their team trying to convince folks around TX that they are the best candidates for the coming season. That is surely allright to try to secure a higher rating by the pollesters.
Now to get the sour belly because someone else sees it a little different is another thing.
I believe that a whole host of other teams merit being speculated as the best Division I prospect.
I did not see the Cuero vs Palestine game but several of my firends did and they reported that that was the one game in the playoffs that the wrong team won the game--it happens every once in a while.
Sorry, it's nothing personal but I see a host of other teams that start the year with better personnel than either Gainesville or Cuero and that is not to say they are bad teams or anything like that. It's just to say they do not standout over and above everyone else, period.

Yes I do feel that Region III has the lion's share of the better teams; whereby the other Regions have one or two standouts: Region III has a half dozen in each division that are about alike.
A good example is last season Jasper was the #3 team in their District and Kirbyville a little bitty small school beat the snot out of them. The difference was that Jasper has one of the highest enrollments in 3A-- yet qualified to be Division II because 4A dropdown Silsbee was slightly larger. Jasper, because of its enrollment size had a huge bench of Seniors and therefore more sustaining power as players got injured toward the end of the bracket play--it's call a natural deeper bench created by higher enrollment.
I guess it's a natural thing for some to start touting their team to try of convince everyone that somehow they are head-and-shoulders above the pack.

HighSchool Fan
04-08-2005, 12:43 PM
tell me exactly what Gainesville is bringing back

WOS1
04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
To clear up what kind of team Silsbee could have next year, here's what they return and lost:

returning: 5 off. starters 6 def. starters

all-dist. rb 2 all dist. lb
2 all-dist. ol 2 all-dist. db
20 letterman return

lost: 6 off. starters 5 def. starters

off. mvp-qb all-dist. dl
2 all-dist. ol all-dist. lb
all-dist. te 2 all-dist. db
all-dist. rb
all-dist. wr
district mvp Desmond Doss was a 2-way starter and an all-stater
( he also was district mvp in basketball too)

Losing Doss, Porter(qb), Wilson(rb), Howard(dl), and Renfro(db&pr-kr) will hurt obviously, but we still have good quality returning. Also, 6 of those returning starters are sophmores. That sophmore class has never lost a game dating back to their 8th grade year. Those years we were playing in that tough 4A district with Nederland, PNG, Ozen, and WOS. This year, the JV(sophmore class) won their district going undefeated, beating Jasper 29-13. I kinda like Silsbee's chances of winning District next year, but as for state, that's another story.

Not to be argumentative, but in 2003, WO-S Freshman 28 - Silsbee Freshman 7.

Gobbla2001
04-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Every year there are a few folks that start this hype about their team trying to convince folks around TX that they are the best candidates for the coming season. That is surely allright to try to secure a higher rating by the pollesters.
Now to get the sour belly because someone else sees it a little different is another thing.
I believe that a whole host of other teams merit being speculated as the best Division I prospect.
I did not see the Cuero vs Palestine game but several of my firends did and they reported that that was the one game in the playoffs that the wrong team won the game--it happens every once in a while.
Sorry, it's nothing personal but I see a host of other teams that start the year with better personnel than either Gainesville or Cuero and that is not to say they are bad teams or anything like that. It's just to say they do not standout over and above everyone else, period.

Yes I do feel that Region III has the lion's share of the better teams; whereby the other Regions have one or two standouts: Region III has a half dozen in each division that are about alike.
A good example is last season Jasper was the #3 team in their District and Kirbyville a little bitty small school beat the snot out of them. The difference was that Jasper has one of the highest enrollments in 3A-- yet qualified to be Division II because 4A dropdown Silsbee was slightly larger. Jasper, because of its enrollment size had a huge bench of Seniors and therefore more sustaining power as players got injured toward the end of the bracket play--it's call a natural deeper bench created by higher enrollment.
I guess it's a natural thing for some to start touting their team to try of convince everyone that somehow they are head-and-shoulders above the pack.

We'd never complain about your region 3 hard-ons if you didn't say 'will' too much...

If you would have said "I think Silsbee or Palestine COULD win the championship" we'd be fine with that...

Ask Jason about the Cuero/Palestine game, ask LibertyHillPantherMom about the Cuero/Palestine game...

Palestine was a good team, but the 'wrong team won the game'???

I'd understand if it were by like a point, and the refs 'blew it' on a obviously horrible call...

But it was 10 points...

#1 Their QB threw two interceptions that 'our' players took back to the endzone...

#2 Our DB broke up a great pass in the endzone from the QB to a WR that would have been a TD for Palestine...

The list goes on and on... Though their offense may have beaten us 17-14, our defense (which is part of a TEAM) came up big/or their offense choked...

either way, the better team won...

And don't give me enrollment, Card, Palestine is one of the highest enrolled schools in the state, we're sitting at 650 right now, and our district leader in enrollment sat home during the playoffs getting beat by us (650), Yoakum (around 560 or something) and Hallettsville (lowest enrollment in 3A)...

One of these days, Card, you're gunna have to realize how wrong you've been so far... which is dead wrong...

The wrong team won... Is her serious...

Old Green
04-08-2005, 01:43 PM
It's been said that Cuero's 2 tds. off interceptions were GIMME tds. by Palestine.

Well , look at it this way . Cuero's 1 quarter fumble on the 8 yard line was a GIMME td also for them.

Take those 3 miscues by both teams away and Cuero still wins 14-10.

44INAROW
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
It's been said that Cuero's 2 tds. off interceptions were GIMME tds. by Palestine.

Well , look at it this way . Cuero's 1 quarter fumble on the 8 yard line was a GIMME td also for them.

Take those 3 miscues by both teams away and Cuero still wins 14-10.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

HighSchool Fan
04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
i'm still waiting for old cardinal to tell me what gainesville has coming back next year. i do recall gainesville having one of the worst QB's in the state last year and still going 8-4.

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2005, 05:12 PM

OC, the wrong team did not win the game, regardless of what your friends said. It takes both offense & defense to win.

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Congrats on the huge win, Gobblers!

I watched two completely different teams tonight & heard two completely different sets of fans. The first half was flat. Cuero's offense was flat & the fans were flat. Sorry folks, but this was not the same crowd I listened to at the Wimberley game. The first interception returned for a TD sparked a little life into the crowd, but with the missed PAT, the spark went out.

Second half was completely different. The 2nd pick for TD completely changed the momentum of the offense & the fans were loud & rowdy. These were the fans that I recognized. After that, the offense was clicking & there really was no stopping the team.

Congratulations Gobbler players for playing a fantastic second half on both sides. Cuero defense......this was the same defense, most of the game, that I watched two weeks ago. You kept your team in the game.

Originally posted by texasjeremy
just got home from the game. it was amazing, Palestine dominated Cuero is all facets of the game, except turnovers and on the scoreboard. To win a state championship it takes some luck as well as skill, good luck to the gobblers in the state finals.

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'm still waiting for old cardinal to tell me what gainesville has coming back next year.

Don't hold your breath. ;)

WOS1
04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
OK... I don't want to see you guys defending OC anymore when I jump on him...:D

Gobbler Fan
04-08-2005, 08:24 PM
The Cuero Palestine game was a very good game between two very good football teams but heres my gripe .

#1 Ive never seen a High School football team tackle the way Palestine was tacking that night .To me they were trying to take kids out and if their coached like that shame on their coach. Just about all the tackles were below the knees starting with the kickoff when #13 was taken out by a low tackle on the sideline .I thought it was just me until it was mentioned to me by several other people at the game and they werent from Cuero . So rant all you want about the better team lost the better COACHED team won.

#2 The group of kids that made it to state last year was just a taste of things to come for Cuero football in the next few years . Total losses by our Juniors to be since seventh grade 1 total losses by our soph . class next year since 7'th 0 so id say The Gobblers are bringing a lot to the table call it a BUFFET if you will .

*Tradition is earned not Given*

Old Cardinal
04-08-2005, 08:56 PM
There is certainly nothing wrong with the Gainesville or Cuero programs LOL I am just of the opinion that there are a dozen other potential Division I teams that are better. I can't see how anyone except home town promoters can say these two teams are head and shoulder above all the excellent Division I type solid programs across TEXAS.....In the hunt YES dominate NO!

HighSchool Fan
04-08-2005, 09:04 PM
you said that you could name a dozen teams that has better personal than Gainesville. tell me what personal that gainesville has coming back. support you statement.

Gobbla2001
04-08-2005, 09:09 PM
We're not arguing that there could be a better team out their in 3A division 1 right now...

We're just saying you come out every year saying no one can compete with the teams you pick, while you do not know anything about the other teams (besides maybe their previous records etc...)

Do I think that Palestine could beat Cuero this year? I sure do... But I will not say that Cuero WILL beat them, because I just do not know...

Besdes, we may be D2, so we may see Jasper...

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Besdes, we may be D2, so we may see Jasper...

:p You'd have to get past us. ;)

Hupernikomen
04-08-2005, 11:42 PM
hope you two beat the stuffings outta each other.

LH Panther Mom
04-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
hope you two beat the stuffings outta each other.

Who?

Hupernikomen
04-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Who?

cuero/LH right before we play the winner :)

LH Panther Mom
04-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
cuero/LH right before we play the winner :)

Ahhh. Well, since it will be right around Thanksgiving, beating the stuffing out of some turkeys would be perfect. ;)

HighSchool Fan
04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Ahhh. Well, since it will be right around Thanksgiving, beating the stuffing out of some turkeys would be perfect. ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
04-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Not any normal turkeys here...

Wasn't saying we wouldn't have to go through LH... was just talking on OldCard's level, that being Region 3!!!:p

Old Cardinal
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Now Gobbla 2001 do you really think you can get on the same level with Old Cardinal?? LOL
I don't think you should be surprised when you say that your team is head-and-shoulders above the rest of 3A and someone challenges that assumption. Let me give you another blockbuster--there are teams in your Region, I & II that join a host of Region III teams that just might really beat you next season. I don't think you have established a dynasty as you proclaim, if fact, I still maintain that in all probability last year was your place in the sun and your graduation was greater than many teams of merit across TXs-- that challenge your strong statements about total superiority LOL.

WOS1
04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
"when you say that your team is head-and-shoulders above the rest of 3A "

I don't recall Gobbla making this statement...

"statements about total superiority"

This one either...

j_dog
04-09-2005, 08:41 PM
.....One of these days, Card, you're gunna have to realize how wrong you've been so far... which is dead wrong...

The wrong team won... Is her serious...
Gobbla2001, sorry but as you mentioned before, we have to remember the "Distance from Bridge City" rule! :D

Gobbla2001
04-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Now Gobbla 2001 do you really think you can get on the same level with Old Cardinal?? LOL
I don't think you should be surprised when you say that your team is head-and-shoulders above the rest of 3A and someone challenges that assumption. Let me give you another blockbuster--there are teams in your Region, I & II that join a host of Region III teams that just might really beat you next season. I don't think you have established a dynasty as you proclaim, if fact, I still maintain that in all probability last year was your place in the sun and your graduation was greater than many teams of merit across TXs-- that challenge your strong statements about total superiority LOL.

Bring up all of the posts that have me stating Cuero is head and shoulders above the rest, you'll find none...

Do I think I can get on the same level as you, Mr. "I talk in the third person"??? No, I do not, I'd have to go down quite aways...

j_dog, I forgot about the 'miles from' rule...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... there could be some teams out there that can beat Cuero... as well as Silsbee and Palestine etc... But then again, there may not be any teams that can beat one of these...

We don't have a dynasty, doesn't that require a few championships in a row? Don't have that yet...

44INAROW
04-09-2005, 09:43 PM
:hand:

big daddy russ
04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I've said this before... maybe on this thread... but Cuero will have a different type of team next year. They won't be as big but they'll be tons faster. I think their team will be every bit as tough as it was last year, it'll just be a different team than the squad that took the field last year. They just beat you up at the LOS. Next year they'll run around and through you.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-10-2005, 04:56 PM
last season Cuero and Sinton were about same on offense and defense which showed up in first meeting(cuero show what it could do in the first half and sinton show its stuff in 2nd half), but Cuero speed and ability to break a long run at anytime was too much for Pirates last season. Cuero appears to have more speed this year. They will be tough to deal with and the favorites to get back to title game. Most likely theres at least 2-3 in each region that can be State Champs or play for it.

JHS_c/o_06'
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Now Gobbla 2001 do you really think you can get on the same level with Old Cardinal??

Why are you talking in 3rd person?