PDA

View Full Version : Astros slugger Berkman may play for Hooks

pirate44
04-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Astros slugger Berkman may play for Hooks
By Greg Rajan Caller-Times
April 6, 2005

Hooks fans might not have to wait long to see the first major-leaguer at Whataburger Field.

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura said Tuesday that star outfielder Lance Berkman rehabilitating a knee injury in Corpus Christi was "a likely scenario," but wouldn't confirm it.

Berkman tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a church flag-football game in early November. He underwent surgery on Nov. 12.

The earliest Berkman can begin a minor-league rehab assignment is five months from the surgery date. The Astros' Class AAA affiliate in Round Rock has a homestand against Iowa through April 14 before leaving for an eight-game road trip. The Hooks have a series in Frisco from April 12-16 before their home opener on April 17.

"If his knee permits him, the earliest he would start on a rehab assignment would be April 12, and he would play two or three games in Round Rock, and then it would be a likely situation to send him to Frisco to play with Corpus and then possibly in Corpus," Purpura said.

"Nothing is definite because it all depends on the player's health. It's a likely scenario he'll play in Corpus at some point, but I can't tell you when because I don't know when."

pirate44
04-06-2005, 08:19 AM
now to find tickets. they go so fast and i dont feel like watching a game from a grassy berm.

HighSchool Fan
04-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
now to find tickets. they go so fast and i dont feel like watching a game from a grassy berm.

what about a grassy knoll :p

pirate44
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
what about a grassy knoll :p
the grassy knoll is so far away id need my scope...errr...i mean binoculars to see the game.

onfirebball05mustang
04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
the grassy knoll is so far away id need my scope...errr...i mean binoculars to see the game.

lol i better get tickets too...just which team- rr or cc? hmm

pirate44
04-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
lol i better get tickets too...just which team- rr or cc? hmm
ya cant go wrong with either. but the CC game, you get to see the bay while watching the game

onfirebball05mustang
04-06-2005, 09:13 AM
ya cant go wrong with either. but the CC game, you get to see the bay while watching the game

Niiice....and i haven't been down there in a LONG time. Is there still a Floyd's out there?

pirate44
04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Niiice....and i haven't been down there in a LONG time. Is there still a Floyd's out there?
i think the one in Corpus may have gone out of business. theres is one in ingleside though.

onfirebball05mustang
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
i think the one in Corpus may have gone out of business. theres is one in ingleside though.

bummer, and yet great to know! I plan on sending my parents there for their 25th next year...They plan on going to Baffin Bay for a fishing trip, and they've been talking about Floyd's nonstop lol

pirate44
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
bummer, and yet great to know! I plan on sending my parents there for their 25th next year...They plan on going to Baffin Bay for a fishing trip, and they've been talking about Floyd's nonstop lol
the one in ingleside offers chicken fried steak with chili and cheese on top:inlove:

Phil C
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Good news indeed! Welcome to Corpus Mr. Berkman!

pirate44
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Good news indeed! Welcome to Corpus Mr. Berkman!
we've got an extra room. he can stay at our house if he likes. and all i want in return is a few autographs

onfirebball05mustang
04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
we've got an extra room. he can stay at our house if he likes. and all i want in return is a few autographs

You'll have to send one up here...my mom LOVES HIM! lol

cfs with chili 'n' cheese :thinking: i'm hungry now!

mwynn05
04-06-2005, 02:42 PM
When I first saw this I was thinking of the town Hooks

pirate44
04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
When I first saw this I was thinking of the town Hooks
it is kind of a cheesy name, but Nolan Ryan did come up with it since he's a bigtime fisherman. the joke around town was the name of their cheerleaders "The Hookers"