PDA

View Full Version : Softball: Bellville (5-1) Vs. Sealy (5-1)

some1
04-06-2005, 07:48 AM
This is sure to be a Showdown friday. By the way it looks whoever wins this game could pretty much win district. What does everyone else think????

BTEXDAD
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Winning team on Friday will have inside track, but no lock.
Columbus impressed me Tuesday night.
They have had some disappointing losses in district and their season was basically on the line. They came out fired up and outplayed us in bellville, although we out hit them and left more runners on base. We were flat and kind of going through the motions.
At end of game, you would have thought they had won the world series, but if they keep that enthusiasm, they will be tough during remainder of district.

KL3
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Columbus' main goal every year is to beat Bellville, in any sport really, so I'm not surprised by their excitement after the softball game.

Tough loss for the Brahmanette's, as last nights loss snapped a 26 game district winning streak.

BTEXDAD
04-06-2005, 12:25 PM
thanks for info on winning streak, KL3. Bellville had gone unbeaten in district 2003 & 2004 and 5 games this year, but I dind't know earlier year.

Last inning for us kind of summed up the way the game went. In the top of the inning, we should have had three outs, but error put runner on base and Columbus catcher then hit a towering homer to make it 6-2.
Bottom of the inning, Bellville at top of order. We get single. next batter hits line drive to first baseman who doubles up runner. Third batter hits another line drive and second baseman for columbus jumps and makes great catch.
Columbus made the plays and Bellville didn't.
Bellville Coach had Brahmanettes sit in circle and have team meeting after game, then report back to him.
They talked for 10 minutes and then said they wanted to work harder and longer if necessary at practice. If that's the case maybe something good came from the loss for Bellville. We had kind of been sleep walking through district.

Brahmanettes for most part are a young team, starting 3 freshmen, 2 sophs and 3 juniors Tuesday nite. They sometimes make mistakes, but they have high goals and are very tough when on their game.

some1
04-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Sealy beat bellville 4-2 to move into first place in district 20

Brahma73
04-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Wow! I didn't expect that! Who pitched for Bellville?

some1
04-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Luetge Pitched for bellville.

Old Cardinal
04-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Bellville has had a long tradition of winning I think they will be back in stride for the playoffs. Can you tell me what kind of feeder program that Bellville has to be so competitive each year?

ksa041215
04-11-2005, 09:43 AM
The lady tigers played a very good game friday night. They came out intense and scored three runs in the first inning. Congratulations to them on a very big victory!!!! :) :)

Brahma73
04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Bellville has had a long tradition of winning I think they will be back in stride for the playoffs. Can you tell me what kind of feeder program that Bellville has to be so competitive each year?

Little League Girls program has been competitive for the last 8 to 10 years with several dads who were ASA players (yours truly included) passing the torch to the kids. Also had some pitching and hitting clinics over the years. Recently, lots of kids get involved in ASA and other select leagues. Actually, we've been up and down a few years. We put together a pretty good team in 2002. Lost in 2nd round that year. The 2003 squad was a solid group with some very talented underclassmen. Of course that '03 team met the buzz saw known as the Bridge City Lady Cardinals in a battle for the ages. We opted for a 3-game series, and then ended up winning the first game and losing the next 2. Last years squad was as solid as I can remember since the state tourney team of the 90's. Lots of talent, solid senior leadership, and good pitching. What happened to the bats vs. Barbers Hill in the area game I'll still never know. I think my daughter still has nightmares about losing that series.

This year's team has pretty good talent, but has not developed chemistry. I've seen them play a few times. They have the Pieper kid that pitched last year (District MVP), but most of the pitching is done by the Soph. Luetge. She's got fair velocity, but needs to find a way to vary that speed and keep the ball out of the meat of the plate. You can't just throw the ball past high school players any more, and the good teams in our district are timing her and teeing off. When she finds a change-up and the corners, she'll make a pitcher. Bats are thin at the lower part of the order and in the last two consecutive losses to Columbus and Sealy, the teams looked young and flat. I expect they'll get P.O.'ed and win the remainder of the district games, but they may have let the title slip away. The Sealy - Columbus game will be huge with Sealy sitting in the driver's seat presently. Columbus has found a new freshman pitcher and Sealy is always scrappy and well coached. I'll be at that game.

Wow! No kid on the team anymore and I went on and on. I just love the game and love to see those Brahmanettes win. They're a little inexperienced this year, but I think they'll be good for a few years to come.

Hope to see you somewhere again, OC!

Old Cardinal
04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Great informative report Brahma 73. Sometimes a team gets its
teamwork/coordination at seasons end. I saw it happen with the boys at H-F last year they did very well in the playoffs after a so-so season. If you hit very well you usually win in post season.